The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ...mo...
Thanks, but I live in the midlands and was hoping to study in england. :biggrin:

Any ones around there. I am strugelling and need to choose by 2 morow:frown:

Help. Thanks

Sheffield
I want to go bristol but my parents are against it. They are also telling me about the people in notts and the violence which has put me off.

so far

Coventry BBB
Leicester AAB
Manchester AAB
Birmingham AAA

One that is AAA/AAB standard. Preferabely in a bigger city, but not sure where. btw what are surrey and sheffield like to live in and hows the community?

Thanks

What violence is there in Notts?
Original post by theseeker

highest crime rate in europe/UK, or highest gun crime rate something like that
Original post by jamiepango
Not sure if this has already been suggested (apologies if they have), perhaps Leeds/Newcastle? If I remember correctly, their grade requirements are similar to the ones that you want. Does it have to be near the midlands?

Not really. My parents want me to stay near but I want to move out a bit, hence choosing manchester. One problem is that my parents are indian and are telling me to go to a place with other indians :s-smilie: I dont mind mixing with other races but my parents are telling me to. I know it sounds silly but that is one reason that I am finding choosing a uni difficult :tongue:

My parents are telling me that the people are a bit :boxing:

Is it true. I havent visited and was wondering is the uni in that kind of area?

check this out

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/preparing-to-go/staying-safe-and-secure/how-safe-is-your-city/
(edited 12 years ago)

Shottingham - known as the gun crime capital of the UK. Don't let it scare you, it's fine in most parts.
Does anyone know the approximate percentages of international students who apply to do, and get accepted for, Economics at Cambridge?
Original post by H.H.P.C.
Does anyone know the approximate percentages of international students who apply to do, and get accepted for, Economics at Cambridge?

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/
Rejected from Manchester for economics yesterday even with extenuating circumstances :crazy:

Got an unconditional from Aberystwyth with a bursary of £800 if I make them my firm, not like it matters though!
Reply 5109
why is it bristol's entry requirements are so open (A*AA-ABB)?
Original post by hypercaine.
Rejected from Manchester for economics yesterday even with extenuating circumstances :crazy:

Got an unconditional from Aberystwyth with a bursary of £800 if I make them my firm, not like it matters though!

Oh man I am sorry, that sucks! Hope you'll get offers from your other choices!!! :smile:
Not really. My parents want me to stay near but I want to move out a bit, hence choosing manchester. One problem is that my parents are indian and are telling me to go to a place with other indians :s-smilie: I dont mind mixing with other races but my parents are telling me to. I know it sounds silly but that is one reason that I am finding choosing a uni difficult :tongue:

Yeah that kind of stuff happens. I'm International and my parents want to me to go to uni closer to London, Birmingham, Manchester but I couldn't find all 5 unis that fit me in these places and I want to try Bristol/York/Newcastle :P I think I'm gonna apply to a few of these places anyway. :biggrin:

I suggest Loughborough? It's near Leicester I think. Sheffield is also closer (as close as Manchester is from the Midlands.) Both are AAB
Original post by azure.skies
Yeah that kind of stuff happens. I'm International and my parents want to me to go to uni closer to London, Birmingham, Manchester but I couldn't find all 5 unis that fit me in these places and I want to try Bristol/York/Newcastle :P I think I'm gonna apply to a few of these places anyway. :biggrin:

I suggest Loughborough? It's near Leicester I think. Sheffield is also closer (as close as Manchester is from the Midlands.) Both are AAB

Yeah. one of my parents is saying that sheffield is not right for me because of the people. I went lufbra open day. Campus is not bad, nice sporting facilities, however I find the place to be too small. Suprisingly it is one that my parents approve of. However i find the people to possibly be a bit :cheers: and :headbang:
I am conservative in someways but want a large city to live in, because of employment opportunities available and part time work available.

I have chose

Leicester AAB
Manchester AAB
Birmingham AAA

Need a lower (ABB/BBB) and another AAA/AAB?
Yeah. one of my parents is saying that sheffield is not right for me because of the people. I went lufbra open day. Campus is not bad, nice sporting facilities, however I find the place to be too small. Suprisingly it is one that my parents approve of. However i find the people to possibly be a bit :cheers: and :headbang:
I am conservative in someways but want a large city to live in, because of employment opportunities available and part time work available.

I have chose

Leicester AAB
Manchester AAB
Birmingham AAA

Need a lower (ABB/BBB) and another AAA/AAB?

You should really look at Loughborough because it's one of the better unis in the midlands I think other than Warwick, Bham, Notts. It doesn't matter what sort of people there are. There's always going to be someone you can be friends with :smile:

Idk in the midlands there's Aston, Birmingham City Uni, Coventry, Wolverhampton. I'm kind of bad at this 'cos I'm not from UK lol. There are loads of South Asians in London. Don't you have relatives there? You could maybe ask your parents?
Original post by azure.skies
You should really look at Loughborough because it's one of the better unis in the midlands I think other than Warwick, Bham, Notts. It doesn't matter what sort of people there are. There's always going to be someone you can be friends with :smile:

Idk in the midlands there's Aston, Birmingham City Uni, Coventry, Wolverhampton. I'm kind of bad at this 'cos I'm not from UK lol. There are loads of South Asians in London. Don't you have relatives there? You could maybe ask your parents?

Thanks for your efforts. Preferably I want to go to a top 30 uni or russel group in a large city. I dont have to stay in the midlands but staying local will mean cheaper travelling fees.

I am looking in to coventry for an insurance. I want to go to London but I come from a poorer background and wont beable to afford it, even with loans/bursaries. :frown:
My family doesn't have money for such luxury goods and wont be able to give me the money either. Oh well. Looks like I am staying local.

btw how is york and lacashire. I know they are up north but am thinking about it since living costs are cheaper and the uni's are OK. How is the area/people?

Thanks
Original post by YingYang
why is it bristol's entry requirements are so open (A*AA-ABB)?

It entices people to apply :colone:

But really, I think it gives them scope to give out higher/lower offers depending on the applicant.
hiiiiiii :smile:

I've applied for Economics BA at Sheffield, Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met as my last choice :P
I've also applied for Politics and Economics at Keele and Liverpool.

Anyone also applied for any of the above? :smile:
Original post by sophiemassey
hiiiiiii :smile:

I've applied for Economics BA at Sheffield, Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met as my last choice :P
I've also applied for Politics and Economics at Keele and Liverpool.

Anyone also applied for any of the above? :smile:

Hey can I ask what grades your predicted

Thanks
Reply 5118
Original post by KIT94
WOW congratulations mate :biggrin: i applied to Lancaster myself but i didnt know theyve started giving out offers :O ...so scared...
may i ask what your grades at GCSE, AS and predicted are? and what other unis have you applied to :smile:
good luck with the rest of your applications. woo :biggrin:

Predicted: A*AB
GCSE's: 5A* 4A 2B

Also applied to Kent (conditional), Bristol, Essex and Loughborough

How about you? where else have you applied and what are your gcse's and pred.As??? its soo scary! :s-smilie:
Reply 5119
Original post by patra
Predicted: A*AB
GCSE's: 5A* 4A 2B

Also applied to Kent (conditional), Bristol, Essex and Loughborough

How about you? where else have you applied and what are your gcse's and pred.As??? its soo scary! :s-smilie:

Hi...firstly i have to say your grades are outstanding :smile:
Predicted: A*AB (same as yours :smile:)
GCSE's: 2A* 4A 4B (you outperformed me there haha)

I also applied to Sheffield (conditional), Bristol, Birmingham, Lancaster and York :smile: i was going to change my sheffield choice to kent but i guess it worked out for me hehe :P

yeah i understand, im soo scared that i have only heard from one university...im worried that york and lancaster have pushed my application away :frown: ...but good luck with your application and hope you get the offers you want.
Keep in touch :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending