The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5620
Original post by MWM
I only sent my application to UCL recently; I wouldn't send them anything unless they ask for it, at least that's what I am doing.

Original post by smoky188
Unless told by ucl themselves how can I not be considered if I don't send them as they never asked in acknowledgements Or website or prospectus I have already told my reference to mention them

"Many thanks for applying to UCL and the Faculty of Social and Historical Sciences. We were pleased to receive your application which is now being considered for the BSc(Econ) Economics programme.

Our degree programmes attract a large number of well qualified applicants so it may be some time before we can give you a decision. We shall, however, endeavour to consider your application as quickly as we can.

You will be contacted again regarding the progress of your application. This may take the form of a request for further information, an invitation to an Open and/or Interview Day, or notification of our final decision. In the event that your application should prove to be unsuccessful, this notification will come direct from UCAS.

If you have completed, or are studying A-levels, you were able to provide details of your UMS marks in your UCAS application. If you did not provide this information then we would be grateful if you could email it to [email protected], including your UCAS Personal ID.

Please do not reply to this email. In addition, please do not send or email any further information or documentation unless requested to do so by the Faculty or the Department.

Once again, thank you for your interest in studying at UCL."
Reply 5621
Right, I didn't get on of those lol.
People have applied recently haven't been asked for UMS...
:iiam:
Original post by WalkerPrince
People have applied recently haven't been asked for UMS...

:iiam:

I think it could be just the oxbridge candidates that they ask, to judge how likely an applicant is to accept in the case that they are offered a place. Obviously, they're more likely to give you an offer if oxbridge don't.

:holmes: Oh UCL you sneaky monkeys.
Reply 5624
Guys, I recently found this:
http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/SampleEcTest_Oct102.pdf
Perhaps we could have a go and compare our answers because I can't find a mark scheme anywhere.
Original post by MWM
Guys, I recently found this:
http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/SampleEcTest_Oct102.pdf
Perhaps we could have a go and compare our answers because I can't find a mark scheme anywhere.

how did you find the seeconomic tests ?? cambridge doesn't publish these tests so its soo difficult trying to dig them out!! i saw someone posting a robinson one on TSR recently, but i can't find it again ;(

do you know any other tests that are available on the internet??

i'll hav ea go at caius test and discuss it with u if you want to ;P
Reply 5626
Thnks for confirmation tateco but I didn't get bolded lines shall I still send them or wait for them
Reply 5627
Original post by lordvulture
how did you find the seeconomic tests ?? cambridge doesn't publish these tests so its soo difficult trying to dig them out!! i saw someone posting a robinson one on TSR recently, but i can't find it again ;(

do you know any other tests that are available on the internet??

i'll hav ea go at caius test and discuss it with u if you want to ;P

I found it on the Caius economics page, I tried the Robinson site but didn't find anything on it.

My answers (sorry-don't know how to do spoilers):

1) Treat them both like y=f(x) graph and draw the, by either completing the square for the min point or by factorising to get the roots. You can just check these on a graph plotter.
Am I right in treating these as regular y=f(x) graphs ? Because they are to do with revenue and costs I was thinking they might have a domain and thus a range (e.g, you can't get negative revenue or costs ? or can you ?)but it wasn't given to use in the question.

2)P(q)= -3q^2 + 30q - 8
And just sketch it, check it on graph plotter.

3) q=5 at profit max position ?
We know this because the curve has only on stat point and the second differential is negative ?

4) she should make 5 units of bread to maximise her profit ?
Original post by MWM
I found it on the Caius economics page, I tried the Robinson site but didn't find anything on it.

1) Treat them both like y=f(x) graph and draw the, by either completing the square for the min point or by factorising to get the roots. You can just check these on a graph plotter.
Am I right in treating these as regular y=f(x) graphs ? Because they are to do with revenue and costs I was thinking they might have a domain and thus a range (e.g, you can't get negative revenue or costs ? or can you ?)but it wasn't given to use in the question.

2)P(q)= -3q^2 + 30q - 8

We know this because the curve has only on stat point and the second differential is negative ?

1) I think you should probably ignore the negative x axis, but i don't think it matters, and otherwise i agree with u totally

2) since its not factorizable, and its difficult to find the roots without a calculator, im assuming they do not want us to label where it crossed x axis??

3) I agree with that

4) Seems like a stuipd question, but i guess its to catch out ppl who do the maths without using their brains :P
Original post by MWM

2)P(q)= -3q^2 + 30q - 8

im going to do the 2nd question, discuss it in 10-20 minutes??
Reply 5630
Did anyone else see and e-mail from UCAS in their inbox, raise an eybrow and then think FUUUUUUUUUU?
Original post by MWM

2)P(q)= -3q^2 + 30q - 8

2nd question is quite interesting, i read armchair economist last year, its always nice re-reading it.

1)simple question, either greater than 45 min queue in aqua on sunny day or greater than 90 min queue in aqua on a rainy day

2) because the benefit is open for anyone, people will make use of it until there is no more benefit, and since there are far more people than the benefit available (crudely speaking),any single agent gains next to no benefit. In addition, the competition for the benefit creates mutual disutility - Waiting time is essentially a deadweight loss for social welfare, and the disutility of waiting in a queue makes going to the park equally attractive.

3)assuming people are equally wealthy, and put the same monetary value on their time, it leads to the same allocation under price mechanism, the previous price is time, however, the difference is that rather than creating the deadweight loss, the theme park can gain from this, and gets revenue, so theme park is the net gainer from this switch to admission fee. and if government receives it, it could use it for tax cuts, public spending... etc The optimal pricing for social efficiency is when price is high enough to remove the queue completely.

continuing with 4 and 5, btw I think the book did answer some of these questions later on, but its so long ago, i can't really recall.
Original post by MWM

2)P(q)= -3q^2 + 30q - 8

no, because 1) not all people have same preferences in real life, 2) it assumes perfect information - ie. its always 45 minutes, but its not in real life, 3) people benefit from choice, even though they may end up doing the same thing - and they feel even more satisfied after a choice, its irrational ( technically speaking), but thats how it is... however, I do agree that it is a bit of a waste ina sense that most of the benefits are eroded by waiting time (as a result of perfect competition for that benefit)

5) government should avoid to provide rivalry goods or services for under market price, as it will lead to shortage and loss of welfare from competiton, it should be left to the free market and price mechanism... however, cases can be made for medical care...e tc because of concerns over fairness and inequality and moral issues, and the fact that the real world not everyone is rational and think alike.
anyone else want to express their ideas?? Im a bit confused by question 1 of Part C, is it saying something along the lines of public choice theory??
Original post by lordvulture
no, because 1) not all people have same preferences in real life, 2) it assumes perfect information - ie. its always 45 minutes, but its not in real life, 3) people benefit from choice, even though they may end up doing the same thing - and they feel even more satisfied after a choice, its irrational ( technically speaking), but thats how it is... however, I do agree that it is a bit of a waste ina sense that most of the benefits are eroded by waiting time (as a result of perfect competition for that benefit)

5) government should avoid to provide rivalry goods or services for under market price, as it will lead to shortage and loss of welfare from competiton, it should be left to the free market and price mechanism... however, cases can be made for medical care...e tc because of concerns over fairness and inequality and moral issues, and the fact that the real world not everyone is rational and think alike.

an increase in choice cannot lead to a loss of welfare due to competition - previously there was no competition - and an increase in competition can only be a benefit unless there are large economies of scale to be had which clearly there aren't because it's a park! And to counter the last point regarding the price mechanism, it was not being produced by the free market at all so surely government intervention is just helping to increase choice
(edited 12 years ago)

If anyone is benefiting significantly from these advices, I don't think they are for oxbridge :P
Reply 5636
Original post by Trizzle
Did anyone else see and e-mail from UCAS in their inbox, raise an eybrow and then think FUUUUUUUUUU?

This :/
Reply 5637
Original post by Kachun

Original post by Kachun
Anyone get that email about inputing UMS scores in a questionnaire for LSE?

I got that questionnaire a few weeks ago, make sure that you leave plenty of time to get it filled in; I had to go to my school's exams officer to get all the dates of the exams that I had done, which took a while.
Reply 5638
:woo: Interview tommorow 8:35am @ Churchill

Original post by zxh800
:woo: Interview tommorow 8:35am @ Churchill

tomorrow WOW, good luck! lol at the video :P

Latest

Trending

Trending