The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6280
Original post by Tomatochuckers
IMO Bath > Bristol/ Nottingham > Durham

But none of thosed are better than Camb, LSE, Warwick or UCL

From my perspective, as I am looking to enter some quantative roles in the future

Looking at unistats, here are the statistics from Bath, Bristol, Nottingham and Durham regarding students going into 'Quantitative roles'. I have defined quantitative roles as students going into occupations classed as either "Business and Finance" or Business and Statistical". Here are the percentage of students from those universities going into professions defined as above. Clearly Nottingham and Durham beat out Bath and Bristol in this area.

Nottingham-61%
Durham - 60%
Bath - 48%
Bristol-47%
Original post by WalkerPrince
Tommorow is the last (full) working day for most universities this year.

I don't want to get hopes up (again :colondollar:) but....

You're getting all of our hopes up :tongue:
Original post by FDR
Looking at unistats, here are the statistics from Bath, Bristol, Nottingham and Durham regarding students going into 'Quantitative roles'. I have defined quantitative roles as students going into occupations classed as either "Business and Finance" or Business and Statistical". Here are the percentage of students from those universities going into professions defined as above. Clearly Nottingham and Durham beat out Bath and Bristol in this area.

Nottingham-61%
Durham - 60%
Bath - 48%
Bristol-47%

Maybe. But that doesn't mean Durham will prepare you more than Bristol would for these quantitive roles.
Original post by jamiepango
You're getting all of our hopes up :tongue:

+

UCL did say we should hear this week...
+

UCL did say we should hear this week...

Rejections or offers? :colondollar:
Rejections or offers? :colondollar:

Not specified. We'll have to wait and see...
Reply 6286
Original post by FDR

Nottingham-61%
Durham - 60%
Bath - 48%
Bristol-47%

That just doesn't mean anything at all.
Reply 6287
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Maybe. But that doesn't mean Durham will prepare you more than Bristol would for these quantitive roles.

Having not studied at either university, and not knowing anyone from Bristol, I can't say how well the universities compare to one another in terms of how well the course prepares students for such roles.

The point I was trying to make with the statistics is that people's perceptions can be flawed (e.g Durham offers a BA, therefore it is not quantitative), and that looking at how things really pan out gives a clearer view.

I'd suggest that with a considerably high proportion of students from Durham gaining employment in these roles, employers believe that Durham's economics degree provides students with more than adequate preparation for such roles.
Reply 6288
Original post by internet tough guy
what did you get last time round (alevel results), assuming you did your A2's in your 2nd year of alevel. and did you apply last year?

EDIT: ^ Jesus christ, can't you ask a simple academic question without people having a fit? I normally don't give a **** about reps/negs but this time I'm truly baffled - are people really that PC/sensitive these days?

I don't even get what's so offensive about my question that has attracted all those negs. How is asking for her original A2 results anymore insensitive than asking someone about their AS or predicted grades as so often happens in threads like these?

Don't know why people gave you negatives either, I don't mind being asked questions, and there was nothing rude about it :smile:

I got BBB in maths, bio and general studies, C in chem, and had only started AS econ last year which I got above 90% in :smile:
I applied to do chemical engineering last year because I was rushed into making a decision, but didnt want to do it so changed my mind in May and decided to stay a third year as I didn't feel ready to go to uni yet.

Sorry I talk so much :/
Reply 6289
Original post by Tateco
That just doesn't mean anything at all.

They may not to you - but I was trying to put some numbers behind the rankings of the poster I had originally replied to, to see how his perception matched available data.
Original post by FDR
Having not studied at either university, and not knowing anyone from Bristol, I can't say how well the universities compare to one another in terms of how well the course prepares students for such roles.

The point I was trying to make with the statistics is that people's perceptions can be flawed (e.g Durham offers a BA, therefore it is not quantitative), and that looking at how things really pan out gives a clearer view.

I'd suggest that with a considerably high proportion of students from Durham gaining employment in these roles, employers believe that Durham's economics degree provides students with more than adequate preparation for such roles.

Good point there. Fine :congrats:
Quiet day for offers it seems... :yawn:

Jan/Feb should be a much exciting period! decisions should be coming in weekly (i hope)
Not specified. We'll have to wait and see...

Yes we shall :cool:
Original post by FDR
They may not to you - but I was trying to put some numbers behind the rankings of the poster I had originally replied to, to see how his perception matched available data.

The data doesn't say much.

You could just as well claim that it shows more people from Durham apply for quantitative roles than those at Bristol.

FWIW, I know of at least one BB bank which has Durham/Bristol as targets and not Bath/Nottingham.
Original post by funkydee
Jan/Feb should be a much exciting period! decisions should be coming in weekly (i hope)

More like nerve-wracking...

We can only hope :redface:
Original post by Competencies

You could just as well claim that it shows more people from Durham apply for quantitative roles than those at Bristol.

FWIW, I know of at least one BB bank which has Durham/Bristol as targets and not Bath/Nottingham.

damn I didn't think of that! **** got more interesting :colone:
Reply 6296

You're right.

A lot of assumptions have to be made about the data - one, as you infer, is that all students apply for the same jobs, which isn't going to always be true.

I was only trying to make a lighthearted point by seeing how the numbers racked up - they aren't perfect, but they're all I've got available to me.

The truth is, going to either Bristol, Bath, Notts, Durham and a lot of other top 10 unis will put you in good stead in the job market, so people don't need to panic so much!
Reply 6297

And back to whether or not the course is going to get you into a BB FO IBD role based on a rumour that some irrational belief by some stupid power-crazy HR person has.
Reply 6298
Original post by FDR

The truth is, going to either Bristol, Bath, Notts, Durham and a lot of other top 10 unis will put you in good stead in the job market, so people don't need to panic so much!

This :yes:
Original post by MWM
A quick question to you all, if I want to go to uni purely to enter into the best possible career then would you say that Bath might be better then places like UCL/War or maybe even Cam/LSE. They get you a year long paid internship which must be great for you when you leave uni and start applying for a job.
What do you all think ?

You should note, they won't just get you an internship, they have some that are for Bath students specifically which you would compete for with other Bath students. Then there are many across the country that are open to all students to (all?) universities. Though I know Bath have a lot of contacts. You have to perform well, if you do not perform well in your first year then you shouldn't hold your breath over getting a placement. Placements are still competitive, just like getting a job.

Original post by FDR

I do wonder about the Bath statistics as I would imagine there is a difference in employment for candidates who undertook a year out/were on the 4 year course, compared to those who did a straight 3 year course (overall obviously).

I also wonder what % of Bath students do the 3 year and what % do the 4 year...
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending