The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Illmatic-
Yup. M1 and M2. I'm finding M2 seriously easier than M1:lolwut:

yeah thats true actually...

Haha, good luck!
Original post by Melikeyflute
Don't fall under the 'desperate effect' where the lack of response from UCAS makes your other offers more lucrative! I felt that way about my insurance then I slapped some sense into myself.

Everyone I've spoken to has said that! :biggrin: It did start like that, but now it's pretty genuine.

It is Bath, so yeah, not exactly the pits :wink: What's your insurance choice?
Reply 6682
Original post by WalkerPrince
I love M2 :smile: :biggrin:

Also, researching the Bath Economics course, it actually looks reallly really good!

Hmmm....

Is it? I'm not sure whether I'd take a Durham offer over my Bath Offer if I was to get one from Durham because they seem quite close now. What do you think?

Btw are the admissions tutors back at work now? Hopefully they are all happy chappys after their Christmas dinners.
(edited 12 years ago)
Everyone I've spoken to has said that! :biggrin: It did start like that, but now it's pretty genuine.

It is Bath, so yeah, not exactly the pits :wink: What's your insurance choice?

Birmingham so it's nowhere near as good as bath but the principle remains :biggrin:.
Anybody got any good economics books a year 12 could read? (Not too technical like wealth of nations, but something interesting and probably good for "extra reading" to enhance my economics knowledge)
Original post by Extricated
Anybody got any good economics books a year 12 could read? (Not too technical like wealth of nations, but something interesting and probably good for "extra reading" to enhance my economics knowledge)

Are there particular areas of economics you are interested in? Financial economics? Development? Or do you want general texts?
Reply 6686

Any more info? There are lots of good fairly mainstream ones out there that are underrated. Stiglitz is good.
Reply 6687

'The Soulful Science: What Economists Really Do and Why It Matters' :wink:
Original post by -Illmatic-
Are there particular areas of economics you are interested in? Financial economics? Development? Or do you want general texts?

Original post by Tateco
Any more info? There are lots of good fairly mainstream ones out there that are underrated. Stiglitz is good.

Original post by Dat Guy
'The Soulful Science: What Economists Really Do and Why It Matters' :wink:

I'm not too sure really what I'm really interested in. Developmental is quite interesting but I just wanted a general read to be honest. On anything :smile: Thanks for the suggestions...do you have any more?

Also, to the neggers...haven't you realised I already have -110 rep points like i care lol
I'm not too sure really what I'm really interested in. Developmental is quite interesting but I just wanted a general read to be honest. On anything :smile: Thanks for the suggestions...do you have any more?

Also, to the neggers...haven't you realised I already have -110 rep points like i care lol

Bad Samaritans by Chang (dude actually writes brilliantly) is a good read. Krugman? Some of his works are pretty good for A-level students. Erm...Collier for development!
Reply 6690

The Bottom Billion is a good starter for you if you're interested in developmental economics. I'd definitely have a look at Stiglitz too.

The Resistible Rise of Market Fundamentalism is very interesting on development economics.
Original post by Yash13
Is it? I'm not sure whether I'd take a Durham offer over my Bath Offer if I was to get one from Durham because they seem quite close now. What do you think?

Btw are the admissions tutors back at work now? Hopefully they are all happy chappys after their Christmas dinners.

I didn't even think Durham was worth applying too, so I don't know if I am a fair judge :colone:

I definitely think it's a very good course, if you take the placement year.

No one will be working till January, sadly.
Original post by Melikeyflute
Birmingham so it's nowhere near as good as bath but the principle remains :biggrin:.

Hmm, with such a gap between the two, I don't think the principle still remains. :tongue:
Hmm, with such a gap between the two, I don't think the principle still remains. :tongue:

haha, well mine was actually an insurance as in lower grade from my would be firm :P
Reply 6695
I didn't even think Durham was worth applying too, so I don't know if I am a fair judge :colone:

Durham has a placement year as well...

(I know this because someone I know is there this year and he says all students get offered a placement, and it's on their website)
Reply 6696

I'd recommend anything by Paul Krugman - I really enjoyed 'The return of Depression economics'

Paul Collier's 'The bottom billion' and Joseph Stiglitz are also good for development economics.

'The Logic of Life' by Tim Harford is also a book I'd recommend - really enjoyable read, and covers some stuff you'll study in year 13 like Game theory.
Original post by FDR
Durham has a placement year as well...

(I know this because someone I know is there this year and he says all students get offered a placement, and it's on their website)

Really? :colone:

I just didn't like Durham :colone:
Reply 6698
Really? :colone:

I just didn't like Durham :colone:

yeah, Durham's placement year seems like a very well kept secret, really don't know why.

I'm the opposite to you - I just didn't like Bath - nothing to do with the course, but the campus, and chose Nottingham as an option instead, and didn't really like Warwick so put Durham instead - personal preferences will play a big part in decisions as it's going to be three years of your life spent, so you want to enjoy it - I doubt a degree from any of those unis will be looked down upon by employers or postgraduate courses.
Reply 6699

I have not been to Durham but applied there due to the less competitive nature of the course in comparison to the london universities.

I did love Bath. :biggrin:

Original post by FDR
yeah, Durham's placement year seems like a very well kept secret, really don't know why.

I'm the opposite to you - I just didn't like Bath - nothing to do with the course, but the campus, and chose Nottingham as an option instead, and didn't really like Warwick so put Durham instead - personal preferences will play a big part in decisions as it's going to be three years of your life spent, so you want to enjoy it - I doubt a degree from any of those unis will be looked down upon by employers or postgraduate courses.

:O Crazy guy not liking Bath :P jk. You are so right though three or more years of your life will be spent there so it has to be some where you can see yourself living.

I think Durham is very popular with KPMG. Warwick with UBS. Bath seems to be quite popular with a range of employers. They all will be equivalent in terms of graduate prospects I suppose.

In terms of the league tables they suggest overall : Warwick > Durham > Bath.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending