The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Good/bad points of Nottingham Uni?

So I am thinking of putting Nottingham Uni as my first choice uni and I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what it is really like to go there and live in Nottingham.

I'm interested in things such as the campus layout, accommodation quality (any suggestions on whether to go catered or self-catered would also be appreciated), number of students, reputation, quality of teaching etc .. I would also like to know whether how long it takes to get to the city centre and the nightlife :smile:

Most importantly, would you recommend it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends how much you enjoy crime.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I have been there once, the campus is gorgeous( and frickin' huge)
Amazing campus. There is some excellent non-campus (non-catered) accommodation at decent prices. Campus to city-centre about a 30 minute walk or 5 mins on a bus. As for nightlife I never went out so can't help!
Original post by Sapientia

Its not that bad.

Only at night, when your alone, walking down a long lonesome road, and all of a sudden, there shines a shiny demon! :colone:

Then you've got a real problem.
Reply 5
Original post by Chicharito14
Its not that bad.

Only at night, when your alone, walking down a long lonesome road, and all of a sudden, there shines a shiny demon! :colone:

The first time I went out into town at night someone pulled a banana on me.
Reply 6
Thanks for the comments so far :smile: I've been to the uni a couple of times and thought the campus was really nice, huge though. I did have a look round the city too, i thought it was quite nice, this was in daylight though! Is it really that bad at night?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chicharito14
Its not that bad.

Ah walking down Ilkleston Road alone at 2am.
The first time I went out into town at night someone pulled a banana on me.

Nottinghams way of making sure you get one of your five a day!
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Ah walking down Ilkleston Road alone at 2am.

Walking through Radford whilst intoxicated isn't a great idea either!

Crime isn't a problem unless you're seriously stupid about locking your house or car etc.

Also, the campus is patrolled 24 hours. Crime won't be an issue in first year.

Don't make generalisations when you've probably never been to Nottingham, let alone been a victim of crime there.
Reply 11

Original post by crocker710
Readily available firearms. Pro or Con you decide.

Stop talking absolute nonsense.
My brother graduated last summer from Nottingham uni (im assuming your not talking about trent).
he has said not to go out (clubs pub etc.) on fridays and saturdays, as the local twenty-yr olds and teenagers hate students.
Original post by Aimee131
Thanks for the comments so far :smile: I've been to the uni a couple of times and thought the campus was really nice, huge though. I did have a look round the city too, i thought it was quite nice, this was in daylight though! Is it really that bad at night?

No. Just be sensible and safe.

It's no more dangerous than any other city at night!
Original post by Choccielatte
Crime isn't a problem unless you're seriously stupid about locking your house or car etc.

Also, the campus is patrolled 24 hours. Crime won't be an issue in first year.

Don't make generalisations when you've probably never been to Nottingham, let alone been a victim of crime there.

Don't generalise, right back at you. I have been a student at the University of Nottingham and my friend was burgled there and lost a few thousand worth of electronics. So yeah, don't try and be all pursed lips when you have no clue.

I should point out my original post was tongue-in-cheek. It shouldn't need to be explained that everywhere has crime, and obviously just because I knew someone deeply affected by it, doesn't make it more prevalent. But that is no reason for you to be an ******* to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Wellseley&Boris

My brother graduated last summer from Nottingham uni (im assuming your not talking about trent).
he has said not to go out (clubs pub etc.) on fridays and saturdays, as the local twenty-yr olds and teenagers hate students.

:lolwut:

The only reason to avoid clubs on Fridays/Saturdays is that the prices are not always student friendly. I paid £8 for a drink in Oceana on a friday! :colonhash:

I've been to Gatecrasher on a Friday and it was one of the best nights I've had!
Reply 16
I've never visited it but the campus is generally regarded as one of the most iconic in the UK, a white stone building surrounded by parkland as well as more modern developments, one of its most famous students being D H Lawrence.

It's become a bit of a running joke / conspiracy theory though that Nottingham, once regarded as a top 10 university, is now more frequently rated as top 20 by the league tables.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by natty_d
:lolwut:

The only reason to avoid clubs on Fridays/Saturdays is that the prices are not always student friendly. I paid £8 for a drink in Oceana on a friday! :colonhash:

I've been to Gatecrasher on a Friday and it was one of the best nights I've had!

You really needed that drink!
Reply 18

You really needed that drink!

Clearly lol. We waited ages to be served at the bar as well so I wasn't prepared to argue :p:
Reply 19
Original post by Picnic1
I've never visited it but the campus is generally regarded as one of the most iconic in the UK, a white stone building surrounded by parkland as well as more modern developments, one of its most famous students being D H Lawrence.

It's become a bit of a running joke / conspiracy theory though that Nottingham, once regarded as a top 10 university, is now more frequently rated as top 20 by the league tables.

Top 10/Top 20?/ Not much of a difference really. And I am very suspicious of league tables anyway. It is a great uni and you would not regret going there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending