The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7220
Original post by lordvulture
lol one of those lurkers :P nope, otherwise I probably won't be on here having a headache and not revising for my exams lol x

Maybe I should start revising then lol
Reply 7221
have UCL and Warwick given out the majority of their offers yet? Or will the main bulk of offers come after the 15th deadline?
Original post by somaiyar
have UCL and Warwick given out the majority of their offers yet? Or will the main bulk of offers come after the 15th deadline?

The main bulk will come after the deadline. The unis are so much slower this application cycle...
Reply 7223
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lol: well its not even showing at my local cinema so... :rofl: guess that's a miss then. Oh! how much did the junior analyst earn!? DO TELL :colone: I wonder how many of us will be bankers 5 years from now

Most of it is fictionalised apparently though :tongue: but yes! Thatcher has been vilified for the past 3 decades with hardly any how she pulled this country out of the gutter. :huff: whatever happened to cost-benefit analysis eh

:five: aha no! I don't have any either and as rejected from Oxford :hugs: :console: yay fellow oxbridge rejectees. I think Tacteco is in the same position but he was pooled at Cam, so don't you worry emily... becca... whatever you name is :dontknow:

I don't remember exactly, but something like $250.000. You live in London, you should be able to see everything! :smile:
Reply 7224
Original post by emily_becca

haha we're very similar! bath nottingham and two courses at UCL, let me know if you hear (or have heard) anything from any...

Which courses are they if I may ask?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Most of it is fictionalised apparently though :tongue: but yes! Thatcher has been vilified for the past 3 decades with hardly any how she pulled this country out of the gutter. :huff: whatever happened to cost-benefit analysis eh

Pulled us out of the gutter to far higher structural unemployment, initiated by the self-imposition of the longest depression since 1920, the destruction of British industry (if you want to claim subsidies and state support don't work, compare to the French at the same time and since), fostered a deregulated financial sector which ensured Britain was the hub of world leverage and credit bubbles, and, through concerted pressure on particular regions of the country, destroyed the working class movements which had been the principal opponents to stupidity and avarice prior (I'm thinking 1926 general strike, etc.).

I could easily go on but English Lit prevents me.

All in all a brilliant lady though. Don't let me prevent you intellectually masturbating over a sanitised, ahistorical account of her premiership!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Acerbic
Pulled us out of the gutter to far higher structural unemployment, initiated by the self-imposition of the longest depression since 1920, the destruction of British industry (if you want to claim subsidies and state support don't work, compare to the French at the same time and since), fostered a deregulated financial sector which ensured Britain was the hub of world leverage and credit bubbles, and, through concerted pressure on particular regions of the country, destroyed the working class movements which had been the principal opponents to stupidity and avarice prior (I'm thinking 1926 general strike, etc.).

I could easily go on but English Lit prevents me.

All in all a brilliant lady though. Don't let me prevent you intellectually masturbating over a sanitised, ahistorical account of her premiership!

She basically shifted the LRAS curve to the right. If that created spare capacity in the economy, so be it. At least it boosted our productive potential. Something this government seems to avoid...
Reply 7227
Original post by somaiyar

They'll come after the deadline, only the minority have offers so far if this thread is anything to go by.
Original post by aalex
Ok, quick question. I'm applying for 2013 to Cambridge/Oxford, UCL, Warwick and another two. Should I add to my PS that I was the leader of the team which represented my school at Junior Achievement Romania: Banks In Action?

I did a thing that was pretty much the same here in Ukraine and I put it into my personal statement. You just need to make sure that it's obvious the sort of things that it involved (not too detailed but just a little bit so that they can see how it was relevent).
Reply 7229
Original post by H.H.P.C.
I did a thing that was pretty much the same here in Ukraine and I put it into my personal statement. You just need to make sure that it's obvious the sort of things that it involved (not too detailed but just a little bit so that they can see how it was relevent).

Thanks. You also did one of Junior Achievement's programs? Which one, if I may ask? Where are you applying to? Are you applying with your national exam or A-levels/IB?
Original post by DylanLJG
She basically shifted the LRAS curve to the right. If that created spare capacity in the economy, so be it. At least it boosted our productive potential. Something this government seems to avoid...

Oh dear...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Acerbic
Assertion without substantiation is a brilliant way to win an argument. And you clearly aren't familiar with cost-benefit analyses if you're lauding any supply side affect her policies had.

:K: Wow, so defensive. Did Thatcher shoot your parents in cold blood or something? I was simply making a point. And cost-benefit analysis? What costs? Unemployment of an inefficient workforce that was soon replaced by skilled workers. Privatisation and deregulation of x-inefficient, monopoly powered state industries. And a financial sector that accounts for around 15% of our GDP. Are you really that classicist that you believe she should have left things alone and they'd magically have turned out better?
Reply 7232
Hi you lot, bout time i made an appearance on here :smile:
I applied to Durham, UCL, Warwick and Royal Holloway for Economics. Just wanted to check, has anyone recieved any offers/news for

Economics and Politics @durham
Economics witha year abroad @ UCL

?
Is it normal that ive recieved no offers yet =/
im a bit worried..
Original post by kirino1
Hi you lot, bout time i made an appearance on here :smile:
I applied to Durham, UCL, Warwick and Royal Holloway for Economics. Just wanted to check, has anyone recieved any offers/news for

Economics and Politics @durham
Economics witha year abroad @ UCL

?
Is it normal that ive recieved no offers yet =/
im a bit worried..

Yep its normal.

And no, I haven't either
Original post by DylanLJG
:K: Wow, so defensive. Did Thatcher shoot your parents in cold blood or something? I was simply making a point. And cost-benefit analysis? What costs? Unemployment of an inefficient workforce that was soon replaced by skilled workers. Privatisation and deregulation of x-inefficient, monopoly powered state industries. And a financial sector that accounts for around 15% of our GDP. Are you really that classicist that you believe she should have left things alone and they'd magically have turned out better?

Not to mention decreasing the power of trade unions that obscure the natural interaction of labour markets to the detriment of the economy as a whole.
Original post by aalex
Thanks. You also did one of Junior Achievement's programs? Which one, if I may ask? Where are you applying to? Are you applying with your national exam or A-levels/IB?

Yes, I did the Be Entreprenuerial challenge.

I applied to Cambridge but was rejected. I've also applied for Warwick (and I've got an offer) and Nottingham, as well as universities in Russia and Ukraine.

I'm applying with the Ukrainian Atestat but I might do some extra examinations as our education system and exams are focused on getting students into Ukrainian universities rather than foreign ones.

Have you done Romanian examinations or A-Levels or IB? Is England the only country you have applied to come to?
Reply 7236
H.H.P.C.
Yes, I did the Be Entreprenuerial challenge.

I applied to Cambridge but was rejected. I've also applied for Warwick (and I've got an offer) and Nottingham, as well as universities in Russia and Ukraine.

I'm applying with the Ukrainian Atestat but I might do some extra examinations as our education system and exams are focused on getting students into Ukrainian universities rather than foreign ones.

Have you done Romanian examinations or A-Levels or IB? Is England the only country you have applied to come to?

I didn't apply yet, I'll do it for 2013 entry. Yes, I'll apply with the Romanian Baccalaureate, it's recognized by almost all the universities. Though, they don't know it very well, so the minimum entry requirements are a bit too high at some of them. I think I'll apply to 5 universities from UK (decided only about UCL and Warwick so far). Why did you apply to only 3 in England?
Hey guys

this for those of you sitting F585 in Jan (Global Economy)
Original post by aalex
I didn't apply yet, I'll do it for 2013 entry. Yes, I'll apply with the Romanian Baccalaureate, it's recognized by almost all the universities. Though, they don't know it very well, so the minimum entry requirements are a bit too high at some of them. I think I'll apply to 5 universities from UK (decided only about UCL and Warwick so far). Why did you apply to only 3 in England?

I've applied for a number in Russia and Ukraine so I only put down ones in England that I really wanted to go to. I could only put down one out of Oxford/Cambridge and I didn't want to be in London (my finances are too small to live there). So then the next best ones I thought outside of London or Oxford/Cambridge were Warwick and Nottingham so they're very good universities and they both looked like nice places to be.

It is definitely true that they make very high offers for non-British qualifications, especially Eastern European ones which they don't know much about!
Tommorow will mark 3 months since I sent my application.
Still just the one offer.

Not on.

Latest

Trending

Trending