The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

so we should get a reply by next week? I assume they would give a weeks notice...
Original post by jacky23
how do you know this?

I saw it on the ucl applicants thread, someone who got an invite for the date posted it
I have unconditional from Edinburgh and Bristol. I'd rather go to Bristol but as an EU student, I wouldn't have to pay any fees for edin.. Do you think it worths going to bristol??
Reply 8843
Original post by pinouche13
I have unconditional from Edinburgh and Bristol. I'd rather go to Bristol but as an EU student, I wouldn't have to pay any fees for edin.. Do you think it worths going to bristol??

They are both great Unis, there really isn't much, if any difference in reputation. The difference is in the fact that Edinburgh is a year longer than Bristol's, and obviously, the cities are quite different. A degree from Edinburgh for nothing is a bargain, and Edinburgh is a lovely city, so its down to your personal preference really - are the advantages of Bristol worth so much that you'd be willing to pay £27,000 more?
Reply 8844

I'd go to Edinburgh and then spend the money you would save to get a masters degree from one of the top universities afterwards
Original post by Tateco
I'd go to Edinburgh and then spend the money you would save to get a masters degree from one of the top universities afterwards

What would be the point of that? A masters at a target is going to cost the same as the Bristol degree but Edinburgh + masters will take 5 years in total whereas a degree at Bristol will only be 3 years...
Reply 8846
Original post by Scorcher
What would be the point of that? A masters at a target is going to cost the same as the Bristol degree but Edinburgh + masters will take 5 years in total whereas a degree at Bristol will only be 3 years...

That's why I said I'd do it. You'd be left with a better set of qualifications for the same money, albeit in extra years but I said what I would do in their position.
New Lecture, start at 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN844QXpA90&list=HL1330885133&feature=mh_lolz

'Probing the Rich'. Good if you've read '23 Things they don't tell you about capitalism'. I seem like a left-wing nut from this, balances out my immigration fee rants.
Original post by WalkerPrince

'Probing the Rich'. Good if you've read '23 Things they don't tell you about capitalism'. I seem like a left-wing nut from this, balances out my immigration fee rants.

just finsihed it, i loved it, what did you think?
Reply 8849

I'll take a look tomorrow!

Original post by tooambitious

I liked that book, I thought it was especially good as my preconceived ideas were generally what the author was arguing against so it was really good to get a different perspective, makes me think very differently about 'free markets' as well...
Original post by Tateco

I liked that book, I thought it was especially good as my preconceived ideas were generally what the author was arguing against so it was really good to get a different perspective, makes me think very differently about 'free markets' as well...

agreed, it was also really well structured, i just started reading 'Nudge' and its harder to follow, with a seemingly less thought out chapterial (if thats a word :wink:) structure

Original post by Tateco
I'll take a look tomorrow!

A really good read I think. Best thing is that it introduced me to some very STRONG both pro and anti free market arguments. An easy read too. Ha-Joon Chang is superb I think, love his work.
Reply 8852
A really good read I think. Best thing is that it introduced me to some very STRONG both pro and anti free market arguments. An easy read too. Ha-Joon Chang is superb I think, love his work.

Has he got any other books you can recommend?
Original post by Tateco

'Kicking Away the Ladder' gives great insight into a lot of important themes in Development Strategy. Great for anyone interested in that sort of stuff. On the other hand, I got this book sent as a gift from a Professor at INSEAD, so I don't think it's 'just' a book for development economics fans. It's an important book about the global economy, it's the sort of book that WILL be on reading lists very soon.

I would also check out his papers on Industrial Policy, that's the area I think he really shines.
Reply 8854
Remember when universities used to respond? Those were the days..

agreed!
Original post by Tateco

he wrote this as well as "kicking..." http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Samaritans-Secret-History-Capitalism/dp/1596915986/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/190-3695520-3253541,, it has pretty good reviews
Original post by akash297

Super SUPER rude to keep people waiting this long!
Reply 8857
Original post by akash297

Can't believe how long some us have been waiting, 5 months!

Ah cheers, I'll take a look
Does LSE, Warwick or UCL ask for your results if they haven't already decided on your application by results day?

unless your parents are wealthy and don't really care about paying for tuition fees, definitely edinburgh

Latest

Trending

Trending