Prepare for bombardment :tongue:
Original post by Groat
:hugs:

:dance:

:ahee:

:creep:

YOU'RE BACK! :eek: what is this!!?

:hello:
Anyone have any ideas on which university to pick for straight L100 Economics between: UCL and Warwick.
** Indifferent to living in London or the costs associated with doing so.

The dilema is that overall many agree UCL edges Warwick in terms of prestige / rep. Even though UCL is in London and has good links with the banking industry, Warwick seems to be slightly ahead for getting more people into investment banks (the career choice i'm leaning towards).

Any input or comments welcome so feel free please!

Cheers.
Reply 9384
Original post by xavier10146
Anyone have any ideas on which university to pick for straight L100 Economics between: UCL and Warwick.

The dilema is that overall many agree UCL edges Warwick in terms of prestige / rep. Even though UCL is in London and has good links with the banking industry, Warwick seems to be slightly ahead for getting more people into investment banks (the career choice i'm leaning towards).

Cheers.

They are too close to call reputation wise, I personally prefer UCLs course and location but that is all down to personal preference. If you haven't got 8A* at GCSEs but have better AS levels then you probably have a better chance with UCL.
Original post by Tateco
Yeah exactly, always good to have a plan though. Yeah i did consider that after I went to one of their insight days but I don't think I would want to lose those summers where there is a possibility of internships.

Yeah fair enough. How was the insight day btw? Did they give refreshments?

Cheers.

Try searching the thread "poll for most prestigious - Warwick, UCL or Bristol ?" Done by moiraclaire asking the same question and includes a poll! Its in the IB&C forum...

Might find that more useful than asking A-Level students like us!

Cheers.

It's hard to measure reputation, really. And I see, that's the main dilemma for you. I've got an offer from Warwick and didn't apply to UCL but I am not very biased since I am still not 100% sure what uni to firm:

UCL's overall reputation is really good. They've existed for many more years than Warwick and the foundation date of a university does play a role reputation wise. So UCL's got the edge here. Warwick is still kind of new but there is almost no other university that has gained so much reputation in such a short time. And of course this is only an estimation, but I am sure that Warwick has the potential to to become even better in the next 10/20 years. I don't have the figures anymore, but there was a statistic that showed the annual expenditure of various Economics Departments. Warwick invested as much as Cambridge and LSE. This doesn't necessarily mean high quality but it does show that they take things seriously and that they are really expanding their economics branch. And employers have realised it.

I can't speak for rthe quality of UCL's course as I didn't apply there and hence didn't go to any Open Days to talk to the students but I assume it's not better than Warwick's but not worse either. They are about equal. Both are very mathematical. It depends on what modules both unis offer and what you prefer. Warwick has a huge variety and I assume UCL has the same but you might prefer some optional/mandatory modules at UCL or Warwick. So take a look at that.

Overall you can say: The reputation is about the same. There might be the general crowd that have never heard of Warwick but heard of UCL because it's been very good for a longer time than Warwick, but if employers see them as equal (don't think they prefer Warwick students), it means a lot. Maybe Warwick has a better career service and that's why they secure more interviews but that doesn't mean that employers prefer Warwick :wink: Oh and the London factor doesn't play a big role. What I mean is, you won't have an actual advantage when living in London. There are as many firms coming to Warwick as firms are coming to UCL. It's just more comfortable living in London since all the firms are around you, that is if you secure an interview you won't have such a long way to drive :biggrin:

So I'd say just go for the one where you prefer the course, that is, the modules. Reputation-wise you can't make a mistake :wink:

Sorry for the essay and for the language. My English has been getting really bad lately :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9388
Original post by Tomatochuckers

Really good actually, by far the best one I've been to, calling it an insight day actually makes it sound a lot worse than it was. Food was served at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner :wink:
Reply 9389
Original post by nightmare91
It's hard to measure reputation, really. And I see, that's the main dilemma for you. I've got an offer from Warwick and didn't apply to UCL but I am not very biased since I am still not 100% sure what uni to firm:

UCL's overall reputation is really good. They've existed for many more years than Warwick and the foundation date of a university does play a role reputation wise. So UCL's got the edge here. Warwick is still kind of new but there is almost no other university that has gained so much reputation in such a short time. And of course this is only an estimation, but I am sure that Warwick has the potential to to become even better in the next 10/20 years. I don't have the figures anymore, but there was a statistic that showed the annual expenditure of various Economics Departments. Warwick invested as much as Cambridge and LSE. This doesn't necessarily mean high quality but it does show that they take things seriously and that they are really expanding their economics branch. And employers have realised it.

I can't speak for rthe quality of UCL's course as I didn't apply there and hence didn't go to any Open Days to talk to the students but I assume it's not better than Warwick's but not worse either. They are about equal. Both are very mathematical. It depends on what modules both unis offer and what you prefer. Warwick has a huge variety and I assume UCL has the same but you might prefer some optional/mandatory modules at UCL or Warwick. So take a look at that.

Overall you can say: The reputation is about the same. There might be the general crowd that have never heard of Warwick but heard of UCL because it's been very good for a longer time than Warwick, but if employers see them as equal (don't think they prefer Warwick students), it means a lot. Maybe Warwick has a better career service and that's why they secure more interviews but that doesn't mean that employers prefer Warwick :wink: Oh and the London factor doesn't play a big role. What I mean is, you won't have an actual advantage when living in London. There are as many firms coming to Warwick as firms are coming to UCL. It's just more comfortable living in London since all the firms are around you, that is if you secure an interview you won't have such a long way to drive :biggrin:

So I'd say just go for the one where you prefer the course, that is, the modules. Reputation-wise you can't make a mistake :wink:

Sorry for the essay and for the language. My English has been getting really bad lately :frown:

This is a good post, it's impossible to distinguish on a non-personal level. (I don't see any problems with your English :pierre:)
Original post by Tateco
This is a good post, it's impossible to distinguish on a non-personal level. (I don't see any problems with your English :pierre:)

Thank you! I is just impossible to distinguish between UCL and Warwick. It's like the same with Cambridge and Oxford. You can't really say that Oxford is better than Cambridge. It comes down to personal preference :smile:

(And thanks :biggrin: My girlfriend is English and has been criticising my English all day. That's why I wasn't that sure anymore :biggrin: )
Original post by Tomatochuckers

:lol: priorities sorted?

When did you apply for Rothschild Tat?!
Reply 9392
Original post by nightmare91
Thank you! I is just impossible to distinguish between UCL and Warwick. It's like the same with Cambridge and Oxford. You can't really say that Oxford is better than Cambridge. It comes down to personal preference :smile:

(And thanks :biggrin: My girlfriend is English and has been criticising my English all day. That's why I wasn't that sure anymore :biggrin: )

Yeah I agree.

Seems fine to me, I'll have a word if you want :wink:
Reply 9393
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lol: priorities sorted?

When did you apply for Rothschild Tat?!

A very long while ago.
Thanks for all of your responses guys-I will definitely take these ideas into account.

All the best and good luck with the rest of your applications, exams or w/e.
Original post by Tateco
Yeah I agree.

Seems fine to me, I'll have a word if you want :wink:

Hahaha I'll get back to you on that offer :wink:
Reply 9396
Original post by Tateco
x

Congrats! There is a bit of justice in the world after all :wink:
Reply 9397
Just to let you guys know that UCL are handing out offers. I received one today without being invited to any open days or offer day things beforehand.
Know someone in my school who got an offer for Bsc Economics at LSE yesterday with AABB at AS. Lucky guy.
Original post by Scorcher
Know someone in my school who got an offer for Bsc Economics at LSE yesterday with AABB at AS. Lucky guy.

Yep. It's unfair and such people don't deserve the offers since more qualified candidates are rejected.

Latest

Trending

Trending