The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tsunami2011
I don't think they would be able to do that for Economics, since A*AA is 'quite easy' for the 'top candiates to achieve' Unless they were to ask for A*A*A with an admission test, it wouldn't work!

That's true, economics is a different story. An admission test is not a bad idea though. Although it's difficult to find the appropriate 'content' for such an admission test. Something like the TSA etc. is pretty pointless :tongue:
Original post by Tsunami2011
I don't think they would be able to do that for Economics, since A*AA is 'quite easy' for the 'top candiates to achieve' Unless they were to ask for A*A*A with an admission test, it wouldn't work!

Well if offers were harder then everyone would just get better grades for the top universities. It isn't ridiculously academically challenging for offer holders at places like LSE, Oxbridge etc to get 4A*s but there is no need to do so. What makes Maths offers so hard is STEP rather than grades. The grade offer doesn't need to be upped they should just come up with a difficult admissions test!
Original post by nightmare91
That's true, economics is a different story. An admission test is not a bad idea though. Although it's difficult to find the appropriate 'content' for such an admission test. Something like the TSA etc. is pretty pointless :tongue:

Well I had to do a pure economics admissions test for admission to Gonville and Caius at Cambridge. I thought it was quite a good discriminator as the knowledge required was A level stuff applied to unfamiliar contexts. For example the first section consisted of some mathematical economics which tested your understanding of basic models, differential calculus and simple algebra. The second section you had to read an extract and answer questions. The third section was an essay on one of three topics. The test seemed like a very good discriminator to me as it incorporated many of the skills used in an economics degree and was quite challenging imo. I personally think all universities should use these sort of tests as they are a much better indicator of how you will cope with university economics than GCSEs. That is exactly why I applied to a college with an admissions test as my GCSEs were relatively poor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9663
Original post by nightmare91
Not or Maths though. On the Warwick Applicants group one guy told me that almost everyone who has at least AAA gets an offer for Maths at Warwick. The offer is very difficult though and most of the offer holders don't make it. Same goes for Cambridge. They accept 50% of the candidates but only one in five makes the offer. I wish it were the same for economics. Then they wouldn't reject us because of bad GCSEs or a personal statement that didn't 'fit' the course. It would come down to your performance. Sorry that was a bit off-topic but I found this quite interesting :eek:

Sorry I meant for specifically economics, maths is different because it's easy to give harder tests which show the true mathematicians. You can't really do this with economics, but if you could it would be good. It's just a dream world where the best applicants get in!
Reply 9664
Original post by stefl14
Not true for all applicants. Two people in my FM class got offers for economics from LSE. They both got A* in Maths last year and they both hold offers of AAE with the E being in FM lol. It is true for Cambridge though. They won't accept grades already achieved. Hence people such as myself with offers from Cambridge (most of whom will come out with 4 A levels) and already have an A* in maths still need to achieve A*AA. It's like the offer being A*A*AA!

That's strange - that's the first time i've seen that. My offer is A*AA including the Maths that I've already got the A* in. Doubling checking my decision letter now to make sure!!!
Original post by 8Dom5
That's strange - that's the first time i've seen that. My offer is A*AA including the Maths that I've already got the A* in. Doubling checking my decision letter now to make sure!!!

Well on my offer it says A*AA but the letter says 'we don't usually accept A level results already achieved' so it's a bit ambiguous. It's normal Cambridge policy i thought for people who've already achieved the grades as someone in my class is in the same situation and when I visited Caius they told me this is the way it is.
Reply 9666
Everyone busy revising?
Reply 9667
Original post by Tateco
Everyone busy revising?

Yeah sure, revising :colondollar: :u:
Original post by Tateco
Everyone busy revising?

Better cut back on the number posts in this thread, otherwise we'll have to make a new one :colondollar:
Reply 9669
Original post by Yash13
Yeah sure, revising :colondollar: :u:

I'm doing that kind of revising too :yep:

Original post by jamiepango
Better cut back on the number posts in this thread, otherwise we'll have to make a new one :colondollar:

Slow is boring!
Original post by Tateco

Slow is boring!

I don't think everyone is as confident as you in getting the grades... I'm certainly not :colone:
Original post by Tateco

Slow is boring!

:biggrin: gonna join you there.

We want MKII yeaaah!
Reply 9672
Original post by Tateco
Everyone busy revising?

Trying to at least :tongue:
Reply 9673
Anyone got tips on how to answer the essay questions in ocr economics? Also do you have any examples of A* essays and/or know where to find them?

Thanks
Reply 9674
Original post by stefl14
Well on my offer it says A*AA but the letter says 'we don't usually accept A level results already achieved' so it's a bit ambiguous. It's normal Cambridge policy i thought for people who've already achieved the grades as someone in my class is in the same situation and when I visited Caius they told me this is the way it is.

Have you certificated your A-level? I haven't for Maths, that could be why...but they would surely know on the SAQ one way or another.
Reply 9675
Original post by jamiepango
I don't think everyone is as confident as you in getting the grades... I'm certainly not :colone:

I'm just lazy! I have started, just slowly :wink:
Hey everyone :smile:

Currently studying in Year 12 and hope to study economics at uni.

Just wanted to ask you guys... from personal experience/your opinion is it harder to get into UCL or Warwick for economics? How much emphasis does each uni place on GCSEs and AS UMS?

Attained 4A*s and 6As at GCSE and AAAA in my Jan AS exams (maths, further maths, physics and economics).

And could you guys recommend 5 unis for me to apply to based off of my academics?

Thanks.
Original post by Tateco
I'm just lazy! I have started, just slowly :wink:

Better than nothing :tongue:

Original post by ThatRandomGuy

Just wanted to ask you guys... from personal experience/your opinion is it harder to get into UCL or Warwick for economics? How much emphasis does each uni place on GCSEs and AS UMS?

Attained 4A*s and 6As at GCSE and AAAA in my Jan AS exams (maths, further maths, physics and economics).

And could you guys recommend 5 unis for me to apply to based off of my academics?

Thanks.

UCL asked for UMS this year, whilst Warwick generally focused more on GCSEs.
Reply 9678

Thanks.

From experience and information on TSR I can say the following:

Oxford - Focus on AS Grades, TSA and Interview.
Cambridge- Focus on AS UMS in all subjects and Interview.
UCL, LSE- Focus on AS UMS especially in Mathematics.
Warwick- Focus on GCSE and AS Grades

Generally for the top 5 you will need one or more A* predictions. The A* should be in Mathematics to meet the minimum for all these courses except Oxford.

Outside of the top 5 you are likely to get offers from if you get one or more A* predictions with your GCSEs.

These guys will probably know more as I only applied to two of the top 5 and was rejected by both with all A* predictions.

Warwick- >7 A*S GCSE required it seems.
Cambridge- Low Maths UMS.

You have further mathematics, which I did not therefore you have a good chance with good predictions and UMS for the top 5.

Hope that helps and good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9679

Thanks.

UCL with those grades, I had similar grades and got into UCL but not Warwick, Warwick are ridiculous with GCSEs for the most part.

Latest

Trending

Trending