The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9780
Original post by Amyk94
Hey thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm not really interested in going into IB, so Warwick giving me a better chance doesn't really matter much :tongue:

In terms of going into post-graduate study, does anyone know if any of the 3 unis differ in the opportunities of getting into a good post-grad uni (possibly abroad).
Like are any of the courses preferred, or are the opportunities pretty similar and just based on the undergraduate degree class?

Warwick and Nottingham are probably known more postgraduate if you were planning on going abroad but if you are planning on doing it in the UK they are all equal as long as you choose good quantitative modules.
Reply 9781
Original post by Hemzo
I'm in the same predicament, but I have to choose between Bath and Bristol!

For all 3 uni's, I believe they are campus uni's (I know Bath and Notts are) and so everything you'll need is basically on campus. For Bath, it's a very good university and the university itself looks very modern. It's sport facilities are amazing and it has quite a wide range of societies so there is something from everyone from what I've been told. The city itself looks amazing and coming from London, it is a nice change in scenery. It's also a very safe city to be in too. The city is small, but it has more or less everything you need in terms of shops. The nightlife is decent, there are more pubs than clubs in Bath, but there are still some pretty decent clubs around such as XL, Second Bridge, Weir Lounge. Also the university has socials to Bristol now and then (Bristol is about 15 mins away from Bath and you can also go to Cabot Circus there if you want to go shopping).

That's about it from Bath, I can't really speak for much the other two apart from that Warwick students go to Coventry or Leamington Spa for nights out and accommodation for their 2nd and 3rd years. Warwick's one of those places that you either love or hate from what I've been told, but yeah.. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I think my choice between the 3 would mainly depend on which is best for going into post-graduate study, but I guess it all comes down to degree class in the end.

Baths seems really nice, although I didn't go to the open day. The Nottingham campus looked amazing when I went to the open day! Wish I visited Bath too...
Despite some differences in each of the cities, I think I'd be happy at either Bath or Nottingham :smile:

....which just makes my decision harder
Reply 9782
Original post by Tateco
I applied to Nottingham, Bath and Warwick and if I had those three offers I honestly think I would have chosen Bath, I just don't like Warwick :tongue:

I don't really like Warwick either....the location and stuff :tongue:
But I do like Nottingham as well as Bath...

EDIT: oh yeah, why wouldn't you have chosen Nottingham? :redface:

Original post by Tateco
Warwick and Nottingham are probably known more postgraduate if you were planning on going abroad but if you are planning on doing it in the UK they are all equal as long as you choose good quantitative modules.

Thanks :smile: I wasn't really sure about how each of the unis differed for postgraduate study. About 30% (i think) from Notts go on to do masters (they said that at the open day, which was a while ago...so I may be wrong).

Why would you say, Nottingham is better known abroad than Bath? Because of their China/Malaysia campuses and links with other unis abroad?
Original post by Amyk94
Hey thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm not really interested in going into IB, so Warwick giving me a better chance doesn't really matter much :tongue:

In terms of going into post-graduate study, does anyone know if any of the 3 unis differ in the opportunities of getting into a good post-grad uni (possibly abroad).
Like are any of the courses preferred, or are the opportunities pretty similar and just based on the undergraduate degree class?

Aha no just that normally when people have decisions between warwick and bath/notts people always swoop in with the IB comment.

My point was IN GENERAL for most career fields warwick will probably give an advantage IMO

Personally I'd go for Warwick esp if I was thinking of going abroad for post.

Slightly unrelated to ur post but bear in mind you'll have to make your module options quite mathematical if you want to get on to good post grad. :smile:
Reply 9784
Original post by Amyk94
Thanks for the advice :smile:

I think my choice between the 3 would mainly depend on which is best for going into post-graduate study, but I guess it all comes down to degree class in the end.

Baths seems really nice, although I didn't go to the open day. The Nottingham campus looked amazing when I went to the open day! Wish I visited Bath too...
Despite some differences in each of the cities, I think I'd be happy at either Bath or Nottingham :smile:

....which just makes my decision harder

Atleast you know you're in a win-win situation with whichever university you choose :tongue:

But if you do plan on going abroad for postgraduate study in England, Notts and Bath pretty much have the same prospects, but I would assume that Warwick would be higher since it is one of the top 5 uni's.

If you plan to do postgraduate study abroad, then it would have to be between Warwick and Nottingham though since Bath isn't as well known internationally and I think Warwick have some links with the University of California, whereas Nottingham have links with countries like Malaysia and China :smile:
Reply 9785
Original post by funkydee
Aha no just that normally when people have decisions between warwick and bath/notts people always swoop in with the IB comment.

My point was IN GENERAL for most career fields warwick will probably give an advantage IMO

Personally I'd go for Warwick esp if I was thinking of going abroad for post.

Slightly unrelated to ur post but bear in mind you'll have to make your module options quite mathematical if you want to get on to good post grad. :smile:

haha yeah I see what you mean about IB :rolleyes:

I know Warwick does have a good course/is a good economics uni and everything... It's just that if I could still get into a good uni to do a masters from Bath/Nottingham I'd rather go there!
I don't see why I can't, if I go to either of those unis and do well.

I'm planning on choosing quantitative modules :biggrin: and Warwick's compulsory history module in the first year is kind of off-putting.... :tongue:
Reply 9786
Original post by Amyk94
I don't really like Warwick either....the location and stuff :tongue:
But I do like Nottingham as well as Bath...

EDIT: oh yeah, why wouldn't you have chosen Nottingham? :redface:

Thanks :smile: I wasn't really sure about how each of the unis differed for postgraduate study. About 30% (i think) from Notts go on to do masters (they said that at the open day, which was a while ago...so I may be wrong).

Why would you say, Nottingham is better known abroad than Bath? Because of their China/Malaysia campuses and links with other unis abroad?

I didn't like nottinghams campus and baths placement year gives it an edge :smile:

Yeah exactly that, and Nottingham is a bigger university. But I wouldn't think too much into things like that, go with the one you prefer.
Reply 9787
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Thanks for the advice yh I understand it..but an economics degree can lead to so many things hard time having to pick one.. Congratulations on your offer, may I ask where you are hoping to end up career wise?

I'll PM you
Reply 9788
Does anyone know why uni's like Birmingham, Manchester, Queen Mary, Southampton and City all available on UCAS extra? im just surprised
Reply 9789
Original post by QwertyG
Does anyone know why uni's like Birmingham, Manchester, Queen Mary, Southampton and City all available on UCAS extra? im just surprised

I guess lots of people have them as their 4th/5th choice and so when those people receive offers they eventually decline them leaving those Unis with lots of spaces to spare.
Reply 9790
Original post by zxh800
I guess lots of people have them as their 4th/5th choice and so when those people receive offers they eventually decline them leaving those Unis with lots of spaces to spare.

Wow if that is the case, im shocked at how many people put those type of uni's as 4/5th options
Reply 9791
Original post by QwertyG
Wow if that is the case, im shocked at how many people put those type of uni's as 4/5th options

Just a theory, it may or may not be the reason why they go in to clearing.
Reply 9792
Original post by QwertyG

They are all good but not necessarily good enough to be in a lot of top two options, people also tend to be very optimistic, applying to 3/4 of the top 5 and a couple of the ones you mentioned. The universities may have spaces left over for many reasons, it doesn't necessarily mean they are not good courses, they may have turned away a lot of people who they thought weren't good enough.
Original post by Tateco
x

How is revision going for you? Are you taking the C4 exam this summer or did you have it in January? I don't need it for my Warwick offer but I'll still take the C4 exam in June.... because it's fun :sexface:

:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9794
Original post by nightmare91
How is revision going for you? Are you taking the C4 exam this summer or did you have it in January? I don't need it for my Warwick offer but I'll still take the C4 exam in June.... because it's fun :sexface:

:biggrin:

It's going okay, a bit slowly but I'm not that motivated! I need a very low A in C4 to meet my offer and then I can pretty much flop all the other exams and still get in :tongue: Obviously I'm not going to do that but it's hard to really knuckle down (especially when I'm doing AS FM which isn't even included in my offer!). Have you already sat a lot of your exams? Think you did enough? :sexface:
Original post by Tateco
It's going okay, a bit slowly but I'm not that motivated! I need a very low A in C4 to meet my offer and then I can pretty much flop all the other exams and still get in :tongue: Obviously I'm not going to do that but it's hard to really knuckle down (especially when I'm doing AS FM which isn't even included in my offer!). Have you already sat a lot of your exams? Think you did enough? :sexface:

I am actually done with all my exams. I've already received my written Abitur exam results last week. This week is my last week of school EVER :biggrin: I only have my oral economics exam in the beginning of June. But I am very comfortable with that one. :cool: I do have to sit D1, C3 and C4 but it doesn't matter what grades I get. But I do want to get an A* if that's possible. I already paid for the exams so I am definetely going to sit them. Otherwise it'd be a waste of money :smile: So your offer is A*AA with A* in any of your subjects? It's a good feeling when you know that you'll definetely make your offer. Already applied for accomodation? :biggrin:
Reply 9796
Original post by nightmare91
I am actually done with all my exams. I've already received my written Abitur exam results last week. This week is my last week of school EVER :biggrin: I only have my oral economics exam in the beginning of June. But I am very comfortable with that one. :cool: I do have to sit D1, C3 and C4 but it doesn't matter what grades I get. But I do want to get an A* if that's possible. I already paid for the exams so I am definetely going to sit them. Otherwise it'd be a waste of money :smile: So your offer is A*AA with A* in any of your subjects? It's a good feeling when you know that you'll definetely make your offer. Already applied for accomodation? :biggrin:

Oh god I'm SO jealous, well done! What % did you get? (I don't know much about the Abitur :colondollar:). Yeah may as well try and smash them and get an extra A*! It's an A*AA with an A* in Maths, but that is the one I am most likely to get an A* in so should be fine :biggrin: Yep that's all sent off, but they won't tell me where I am living until August :s-smilie: Have you applied?
Reply 9797
I need an A* in Further Maths. :emo: But, I need Ds in my final Economics and History exams to get an A so I guess that evens things out. Having said that, I can't let myself get a D I just can't and so I find myself irrationally devoting a larger than necessary amount of revision time to those two subjects :doh:. I hope I don't regret it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
Oh god I'm SO jealous, well done! What % did you get? (I don't know much about the Abitur :colondollar:). Yeah may as well try and smash them and get an extra A*! It's an A*AA with an A* in Maths, but that is the one I am most likely to get an A* in so should be fine :biggrin: Yep that's all sent off, but they won't tell me where I am living until August :s-smilie: Have you applied?

I don't know my Abitur average yet since I still have my Economics oral. But I think I'll end up with a 1.2 where 1.0 is the best you can achieve. We only have percentage numbers in the exams but in order to get the average you have to use a weird formula :biggrin: Germans are weird I suppose... My Warwick offer is a 1.3 :smile:
I haven't applied for accomodation yet. I think you can apply from the 7th May on. I do have a certain hall in mind though :cool: Have you applied for en suite? Warwick's en suite halls are quite expensive :frown:
Reply 9799
Which university would you guys recommend out of Bath or Bristol if I wanted to go abroad for a few years to work? I think Bristol is probably better known internationally, but some UK companies provide opportunities to work abroad for a fixed period, so I guess Bath wouldn't do much harm either. What would you guys recommend? I would probably like to work in Germany, Portugal/Spain, Japan and a few other European countries. I know I won't get the same opportunities as someone from LSE/Oxbridge, but I'm sure there are some opportunities out there from studying at Bath or Bristol :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending