The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9860
Original post by tooambitious
Interestong, at my school of the (approx.) 7 pooled only 1 wasn't fished (had another interview but didn't get an offer :frown:)

For Economics?
Original post by Groat
For Economics?

1 economics, 1 med, 1 architecture, 1 English, 1 geography, then others I can't remember it might have been 6 in 2 non fished actually because 1 economist I included and pooled actually wasn't.

Just Realised you guys might have been talking about numbers fished for econ, is it substantially different for all subjects?
Reply 9862
1 economics, 1 med, 1 architecture, 1 English, 1 geography, then others I can't remember it might have been 6 in 2 non fished actually because 1 economist I included and pooled actually wasn't.

Just Realised you guys might have been talking about numbers fished for econ, is it substantially different for all subjects?

Yes it is very very different. Economics has vastly more applicants and a good number will meet autopooling criteria, meaning the pool is saturated with good applicants.

Yeah it is, Economics at my school 7 pooled, none of us fished. Natural sciences and Maths though seemed to have more people fished. I think its because most colleges already have quality applicants for economics, and are struggling to pick anyway, so don't need to look into the pool.
In 2011 23 people got offers through the winter pool, although there aren't any official statistics on how many people were pooled for Economics
Reply 9865
Original post by Brand New Eyes
In 2011 23 people got offers through the winter pool, although there aren't any official statistics on how many people were pooled for Economics

That is around 10% of total offers for economics, I'm pretty sure the average subject fills around 30% of its offers from the pool (if I can remember my statistics correctly, don't shoot me down). And when you consider how many more applicants it has, and how many more people there will be in the pool it becomes apparent how low your chances are from the pool.

I don't think that i've seen a subject that is harder to get an offer from the pool than economics. Pretty much ALL pooled applicants have 95%+ and it makes it incredibly hard. I'd go as far as to say that economics is the hardest subject to get a pool offer from (barring medicine)
COME TO THE DARK SIDE.

Chose UCL for eco&stats in the end.

Firmed it a few hours ago.

Thanks all,

David
Original post by crazy1234
Yeah it is, Economics at my school 7 pooled, none of us fished. Natural sciences and Maths though seemed to have more people fished. I think its because most colleges already have quality applicants for economics, and are struggling to pick anyway, so don't need to look into the pool.

Original post by Tateco
That is around 10% of total offers for economics, I'm pretty sure the average subject fills around 30% of its offers from the pool (if I can remember my statistics correctly, don't shoot me down). And when you consider how many more applicants it has, and how many more people there will be in the pool it becomes apparent how low your chances are from the pool.

Original post by Extricated
I don't think that i've seen a subject that is harder to get an offer from the pool than economics. Pretty much ALL pooled applicants have 95%+ and it makes it incredibly hard. I'd go as far as to say that economics is the hardest subject to get a pool offer from (barring medicine)

Oh thats a fair point, i should have thought of that i would have thought maths too, but then that has different auto-pooling requirements doesnt it?
Oh thats a fair point, i should have thought of that i would have thought maths too, but then that has different auto-pooling requirements doesnt it?

Maths and Medicine have different criteria. And Maths give out twice as many offers to places due to the extra hurdle of step.
Reply 9870

Maths is probably one of the easiest subjects to get an offer for if you look good on paper.
Original post by Tateco
Maths is probably one of the easiest subjects to get an offer for if you look good on paper.

its just meeeting it haha
its just meeeting it haha

that's why at Warwick everyone predicted above AAB is given an offer... with most not meeting it D:
that's why at Warwick everyone predicted above AAB is given an offer... with most not meeting it D:

yeah i heard about that, do they generally give harder step offers than Cambridge?
yeah i heard about that, do they generally give harder step offers than Cambridge?

No Cambridge offers are harder but Warwick offers are still very difficult to achieve...

:curious: most get the standard offer as advertised...

I have heard of Warwick giving much higher offers like A*A*A for some subjects but i cant remember which

Anyway, for Maths at Warwick you need at least 2 in one STEP paper(if you get A*s in both Maths and Further) or 1(if you only get an A in FM) whereas Cambridge varies on college but mostly they ask for a 1 in both STEP II and III which is a lot harder to meet
Original post by nightmare91
No Cambridge offers are harder but Warwick offers are still very difficult to achieve...

:curious: most get the standard offer as advertised...

I have heard of Warwick giving much higher offers like A*A*A for some subjects but i cant remember which

Anyway, for Maths at Warwick you need at least 2 in one STEP paper(if you get A*s in both Maths and Further) or 1(if you only get an A in FM) whereas Cambridge varies on college but mostly they ask for a 1 in both STEP II and III which is a lot harder to meet

thanks guys :smile:
I have official Cambridge pool stats for eco, I'll post them here soon. They came with my feedback letter.
Original post by WalkerPrince
I have official Cambridge pool stats for eco, I'll post them here soon. They came with my feedback letter.

:h: <3 102 more posts till the end of the thread
:h: <3 102 more posts till the end of the thread

Oh no what are we going to do then :cry2:

Latest

Trending

Trending