The Student Room Group

I don't want to share my essays :(

Keep anon- am anticipating lots of neg rep and 'omdz u is so selfish...derp...derp' comments.

Basically, my lecturer at uni has always given me good marks, and has told people who want to improve their marks to read my essays to help them.

The problem is- I don't particularly like any of the people who have asked- one girl saw me at an exam today and blanked me (nice), then two hours later was asking me to email her my essays. :rolleyes:

Equally, I'm proud of my work and feel like it's private and I'd like to keep it to myself. Also there is always the possibility that my marks are so high because I'm 'getting' the essay writing style, and the rest of the class aren't. If they all improve theirs to match mine, then my essays won't stand out as being so distinctly good any more, they'll just blend in and become average, so my marks could suffer. My degree class prediction could also fall.

TSR, what should I do? Hand over my work or not?

Thaaaaaanks. :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Don't hand them over - it's your work, you don't have to show if you don't want to, especially to people you don't get along with.
Reply 2
You have all the right to say you rather keep your essays to yourself. Your lecturer really should have contacted you first to ask if this was okay so I guess it could make things a little bit awkward since people will expect you to just hand them over.

Perhaps talk to your lecturer about it, just saying that you understand where he is coming from but you rather keep your work to yourself since you don't get on great with some people in your class?! Something like that.
keep it to yourself!!

you have a right to do well when youve worked hard for it.

its not your job to make sure everyone else does well!
Your work, your choice. If you don't want to share that's up to you. You don't have to give a reason, either.
Reply 5
share your knowledge? if you dont want to give her the essay, give her a list of stuff to include and some tips on writing style. you'll feel really good when you see you've helped someone become better :smile:
Reply 6
I agree with everyone else, you have no obligation to share your hard work with anyone else, you're clearly skilled at essay writing and it's not your responsibility to worry about the others in your class if they're struggling more than you! Be proud of your work and keep it to yourself, I don't think it's selfish at all :smile:
Reply 7
There seems little point helping when it will not benefit you at all. **** them, they can do it themselves.
Original post by Anonymous
Keep anon- am anticipating lots of neg rep and 'omdz u is so selfish...derp...derp' comments.

Basically, my lecturer at uni has always given me good marks, and has told people who want to improve their marks to read my essays to help them.

The problem is- I don't particularly like any of the people who have asked- one girl saw me at an exam today and blanked me (nice), then two hours later was asking me to email her my essays. :rolleyes:

Equally, I'm proud of my work and feel like it's private and I'd like to keep it to myself. Also there is always the possibility that my marks are so high because I'm 'getting' the essay writing style, and the rest of the class aren't. If they all improve theirs to match mine, then my essays won't stand out as being so distinctly good any more, they'll just blend in and become average, so my marks could suffer. My degree class prediction could also fall.

Have you ever talked to her?

if not, then I can't see anything wrong with her blanking you, its just like walking pass a stranger on the street :dontknow:
Sounds like your lecturer is pretty out of line here (though he may not realise it). It's absurd for him to single out a student and pressure them to provide their work to others as teaching material, unless by some crazy arrangement all of the work your class does is already in the public domain. If he wants model essays, he can write them himself.

Talk to your lecturer and ask him/her not to point other students at your work. It's completely unfair to you. If he/she continues, you should have a pretty easy time getting some higher authority to put a stop to it.
Sort of agreeing with everyone here: out of line for your lecturer, but probably an honest mistake and you should be too angry with them. You have no obligation to show your essays to other people.

I have emailed one essay to one person.. I figured that it was only one, so wouldn't change how I looked against everyone else. You're right in thinking that it's dodgy for your position to have multiple people looking at it. Additionally, this person is now having tantrums because I'm not sharing my painstakingly worked out notes for the exams. What I'm warning you is that if you don't say 'no' just out of awkwardness, you may still need to anyway when they ask for something else of your work!
Reply 11
In the past I've been more than willing to sit with people and coach them on writing style and choice of sources (teach a man to fish, et....) but many people just aren't interested in that. They want to get hold of yours (especially those in lower years or people asking before the deadline) and see if they can lazily reword it into something that they can submit as their own. Then next week they don't know you again.

It's not selfish to be cynical of people trying to use you, no.
Anon for the same reason as the OP.....

No way should you feel obliged to help them, I can think of a few girls in my year just the same - I only exist when they fancy freeloading. The lecturer gets PAID to teach so they should be the one to help the other students.

I would actually be tempted to try and find some rubbish generic essay online and send them that - evil I know!
you are not competing against other students in class - 8 or 9 out of 10 students leave with 2.1 at most mainstream universities. some courses do the proportional marking, but it's rare. if they did that, only 3 out of 10 would leave with 2.1 - no jobs, more complaints, less applications. is it possible that you are getting such good marks because of what you write not how you write?

a common misconception in classroom is "everyone for himself."
(edited 11 years ago)
deffo would not hand over any of my essays if you dont feel comfortable handing them over dont.... bit bad for your lectuerer to be telling you to give them to people its your work you have a right to keep it private :biggrin:! it really bugs me when people ask to see you essays!
Reply 15
I agree with everyone else, there's no need to share, I'd only give it to a friend. If you feel awkward just email back with an excuse, I'd just say something like sorry I left them all on a data pen that's at home now.
Original post by Anonymous

I'm pretty sure that only happens at GCSE and A Level. Boundries don't really change, if everyone gets below 40% on a test then the whole class fails. If someone I didn't like asked for my essay I'd tell them to **** off lol.
Reply 17
lazy teaching
can i read one of ur essays....? plz:tongue:
Reply 19
Hey, at least you have the opportunity to tell your teacher no. I recently took some time off from college, came back, and found that my commentary to my recreative writing piece in my English Literature coursework had been photocopied and handed to everyone :eek: I can't even begin to describe how pissed off I felt, particuarly due to the fact that my teacher hadn't asked my permission and because most of my class don't bother with doing any work. Most of them play on their phones all lesson or complain that The Great Gatsby is too long (it's nine chapters :rolleyes:) or just talk really loudly about Kelly's party last Saturday and did you see who left that mess in her mum's bedroom?

See, I don't mind helping those who put the effort in but struggle, and if my teacher had asked me to do that instead of handing out my work I'd have agreed to it, but when it's the idiots who don't bother at all and call you crap behind your back I just wonder why I bother.

Tell your teacher no. It's time others started working harder and putting the initative in rather than assuming that someone else, be it teacher or student, is going to do it for them. Honestly, they're university students. Shouldn't they be thinking for themselves?

(Angry rant over. Phew :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending