The Student Room Group

My bones crunch when I do situps?!

I've just started doing situps and calf raises as part of my exercise regime to tone my tummy.

However, whenever I do a situp or a calf raise, my hip bones (or something in that area) goes crunch. It's not a noise like popping your knuckles, but more like two bones grinding against each other.

I wondered if anyone else has this problem, and how it can be rectified. I've checked that I am doing the exercises correctly, so I don't think it's my technique.

x
Reply 1
calf raises for 'toning' your stomach? let me know how that works out.

no idea, crunches>situps. do them instead.

if your goal is to 'tone' lose fat.
Reply 2
bad form/ or you're too skinny maybe
Reply 3
Original post by bmqib
bad form/ or you're too skinny maybe

fat doesnt lubricate joints....
Reply 4
Have you got a trainer to check your form?

What do you do sit ups on? If it's a hard floor you'll get problems, btw do crunches, even better if it's on an exercise ball and doing crunches might stop the problem because the range of movement is smaller.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Are you doing sit ups on mallet?
Original post by Sparkle8
I've just started doing situps and calf raises as part of my exercise regime to tone my tummy.

However, whenever I do a situp or a calf raise, my hip bones (or something in that area) goes crunch. It's not a noise like popping your knuckles, but more like two bones grinding against each other.

I wondered if anyone else has this problem, and how it can be rectified. I've checked that I am doing the exercises correctly, so I don't think it's my technique.

x

Do you mean your joints make cracking noise? Sounds more normal then your bones crunching
I'd recommend a thorough warm up prior to exercise.

If your joints usually crack, then its not a problem, and not dangerous (release of Nitrogen gas from synovial fluid in joints) A long term solution may be cod liver oil?
yeah, my bones crunch all the time too and I've been exercising for a few years now
Reply 9
It's not a cracking noise like popping knuckles, it's more of a grinding noise.
Why are you doing ab exercises to tone it? You do realize all that's going to do is going to increase the muscular endurance of your abs not make them more defined?
Reply 11
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Why are you doing ab exercises to tone it? You do realize all that's going to do is going to increase the muscular endurance of your abs not make them more defined?

What can I do to get a flat tummy then? I'm not overweight, just a bit flabby
My knees crunch. Not my hips or thighs though. I get it when waling up and down stairs, or sometimes just walking or jogging along flat ground. Doesn't sound nice, I usually get it to pass off as my shoelaces hitting my shoes. Very annoying.
Reply 13
Original post by Sparkle8
What can I do to get a flat tummy then? I'm not overweight, just a bit flabby

there are no shortcuts, if you want good abs eat well and do cardio. until you get your body fat way down it's never gonna happen
Reply 14
Original post by don_lad_
there are no shortcuts, if you want good abs eat well and do cardio. until you get your body fat way down it's never gonna happen

Unfortunately true, all crunches will do will tone the muscles udnerneath the pad of fat on your belly - which is sadly the hardest to shift!!! Of course toning them will improve how you look slightly, but ideally you need to lose a little weight to look really trim (and remember, healthy people don't ever have perfectly pancake-flat stomachs, photoshop is your friend in that regard! :L)
Reply 15
just skimming through this thread, don't really do much working out, just sit ups and press ups a few times a week to keep me relatively in shape, but

what are crunches? and how are they different to sit ups? are they better?
I have the same problem

Quick Reply

Latest