The Student Room Group

Lying about my degree classification

Before people get worried about the title of this thread and think I'm going to write a post about being a cheating, lying low-life who tries to deceive my way to a good career, this is not about lying to any prospective company about my grades. I don't believe that is fair and, regardless, I believe that most would carry out the necessary research to verify what one is claiming to have achieved.

What this thread is about is lying to people around me about what I achieve. I receive my results on Thursday and I am incredibly anxious about them, as I believed I have not achieved a 2:1. I know that a 2:2 is not an awful degree and that I should still be fairly happy, but I am surrounded by friends who are getting 2:1s and my family expect me to get a 2:1.

The purpose of this thread is to ask anybody who has experience of graduating how feasible it is to cover up what degree you have achieved. I am now aware that your degree classification is not announced as you receive it, so I know I'd be ok with that, but I'm wondering whether the classification is shown on whatever documentation you receive (presumably this consists of a scroll on the day and a certificate later posted to your address?) and if there are any other things that would give it away that I have lied about what I achieve.

I'm not looking for people to tell me why lying about my degree is wrong and that I should just be honest. I know I should be honest, but at this moment in time the hurt I would feel upon disappointing those around me far outweighs any guilt I could ever feel at deceiving them on the outcome. I know I will probably regret it one day but then I'll have to live with that. I may even end up being honest with people later in my life when I am settled in a job and my degree classification is no longer of any significance.

So yeah, I know graduation ceremonies differ slightly with different universities but generally speaking, could people with experience of these give me any idea as to how feasible it would be to lie about what I get?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know whether your Uni would be the same but at mine (Birmingham) the degree classification is printed on your certificate as 'Class X (Division X)' so a 2:1 would be Class II (Division I).
Reply 2
At job interview:

"Oh, is that a 2? It looked like a one to me"

Problem solved.
Reply 3
Original post by mxb821
I don't know whether your Uni would be the same but at mine (Birmingham) the degree classification is printed on your certificate as 'Class X (Division X)' so a 2:1 would be Class II (Division I).

Is that certificate received on the day or via post? Basically what I'm asking is is there anything I would receive on the day that somebody could glance at and see my degree class? If not, I can cover anything like that when I get home.
Reply 4
Original post by Tahooper
At job interview:

"Oh, is that a 2? It looked like a one to me"

Problem solved.

Lol. As I say, I have no intention of lying to any employers. I'll just apply to firms that take a 2:2 and my friends and family will know no better.
Reply 5
I think you're overestimating the amount people (even friends and family) are going to care about you receiving a 2.2 over a 2.1. You're acting like it's life and death.

Your degree class is on your certificate which you will receive at your graduation ceremony. Are your family attending? How are you going to keep them from looking at it?
Reply 6
Original post by j2200
Is that certificate received on the day or via post? Basically what I'm asking is is there anything I would receive on the day that somebody could glance at and see my degree class? If not, I can cover anything like that when I get home.

You get that on the day usually
Just say you passed with second class honours :biggrin:.
They're bound to find out, just save yourself the embarrassment and tell them truthfully what you got. But anyway, chin up! Just wait til you actually have your results first, you may be surprised! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by TheRandomer
They're bound to find out, just save yourself the embarrassment and tell them truthfully what you got. But anyway, chin up! Just wait til you actually have your results first, you may be surprised! :smile:

Agreed! I was utterly convinced I was getting a 2:2 but turned out a decent 2:1 so don't get down about it till you know!
Reply 10
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Just say you passed with second class honours :biggrin:.

This!

Or if they asked further, just say, without mentioning anything specific; "I'm pleased with it really, now it's time to move on!". :smile:

Or; "Meh, it's alright, I'm glad that's over!"

Or; "Pewueh! Yeah it's ok. Now need to find me some jobs!"

:yep:
Speaking as somebody who has tried to spin a very complex web of deceit to avoid hurting someone, my advice is don't. All untruths are found out eventually, and the hurt from the fact which you sought to disguise is compounded by hurt from being deceived.

You could try starting to hint at it now ("Oh, that exam on the day went really badly... :s-smilie:" sort of thing) so it won't come as such a surprise if it is lower than they expect, plus it'll be a nice surprise if it's not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by j2200

my local newspaper publishes all graduate results with the classification. Also graduation day consists of classification being called out and you being presented with your certificate. I'd guess that youd only get away from this is if you didnt attend your graduation.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
When an employer finds out you have lied about your degree, they save themselves a lot of time getting rid of you if you are not the person meeting their standards.
Don't sweat it, don't lie like but just don't bring it up either yourself, I don't think anyone thinks less *really* about 2:2s, few of my friends have them and it's all cool
Reply 15
some universities publish the graduation lists online with details of graduates' classifications beside their name - if yours does, then a quick google online would uncover any lie.
Reply 16
2:1 CAN BE written as 2-1

2-1 = 1

Therefore you have 1st class degree

So you have proved academic credentials and numerical ability in one line.
Reply 17
Original post by Pippaaa
some universities publish the graduation lists online with details of graduates' classifications beside their name - if yours does, then a quick google online would uncover any lie.

Really? Links?
Reply 18
Original post by Fusion
2:1 CAN BE written as 2-1

2-1 = 1

Therefore you have 1st class degree

So you have proved academic credentials and numerical ability in one line.

But what if he did get a 2-2? A 0th class degree?
Reply 19
Original post by Trollin
But what if he did get a 2-2? A 0th class degree?

R.I.P

Latest

Trending

Trending