The Student Room Group

If I get into insurance and not firm, do I HAVE to go?

I only want to go to my firm but I picked the insurance because I had no other choice.

Question is, if I get into my insurance and not firm, and I don't want to go, do I HAVE to go? I'd rather take a year out, get better results and reapply =/

I will not go to a university I don't want to go to.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard people in your same position, and yeah, they've been able to get out of their choices. I'm not sure if you can choose to defer on results day if you get one of the choices though.

You'll have to ring up and cancel any and all contracts with them. Your firm choice will pass over your agreements and student loan type stuff, so you need to manage those connections. You don't want to go there - They don't want a student who won't want to go there either. So although it is up to them, they're not going to be pulling you out of bed and dragging you to a university you have no interest in.

For the future: Pick an acceptable insurance. I have two universities which I would happily go to. I of course have a preference, but both seem like great choices for me.
If you're sure, the best plan is to call your insurance uni sooner rather than later and get them to reject you before results day. That way if you miss your firm offer, on results day you're straight into Clearing and you can see if there's any other courses with places that you'd be happy to do. You can still do this after results day and they can't force you to go there, it would just disadvantage you slightly if you intend to use Clearing.
Reply 3
You live in a free country you can do what you want.
Reply 4
I heard they come to your house, pack up your things and frog-march you down there!

I jest.
Nobody is putting a gun to your head but there are consequences for not going. Don't expect your insurance to be too happy next year.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
If you're sure, the best plan is to call your insurance uni sooner rather than later and get them to reject you before results day. That way if you miss your firm offer, on results day you're straight into Clearing and you can see if there's any other courses with places that you'd be happy to do. You can still do this after results day and they can't force you to go there, it would just disadvantage you slightly if you intend to use Clearing.

OP, follow this advice.

Original post by Genocidal
You live in a free country you can do what you want.

Coming from a user with your name, that is really quite worrying. It isn't true, of course. For instance, it isn't possible to hold a deferred offer from this year while re-applying afresh for next year.
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
OP, follow this advice.

Coming from a user with your name, that is really quite worrying. It isn't true, of course. For instance, it isn't possible to hold a deferred offer from this year while re-applying afresh for next year.

Don't be a smart-ass. I think it's pretty obvious what I mean.
Reply 8
Original post by Potally_Tissed

^^^ This ^^^

Original post by Genocidal
Don't be a smart-ass. I think it's pretty obvious what I mean.

It was obvious but you over-simplified
Reply 9
So do I just ring the University and ask them to withdraw my offer? Also, I don't intend to use clearing so does it matter if I do it on results day?

Thanks guys
Original post by TimetoSucceed
So do I just ring the University and ask them to withdraw my offer? Also, I don't intend to use clearing so does it matter if I do it on results day?

Thanks guys

Yes ring them ASAP and let them know that you would not want to go there.

That way they'll know that they can give that place to someone who does want it and you get extra karma. Plus if you do miss your firm and have a look in the clearing listings and see somewhere amazing then you can go right ahead and sort it out without a load of hassle and waiting on results week.

Thanks guys

I didn't intend to use Clearing either, I just saw a course I liked and ultimately did use it.

Get out of your insurance now if you wouldn't want to go there on any circumstances. If you don't end up using Clearing, you'll be in no worse position. If you do see something you like, you'll be thankful you did it.
Also, I don't intend to use clearing so does it matter if I do it on results day?

Really

So ... even if there was an ideal course you would not consider it
Reply 13
No course you don't have to go! You can decline your offer, and then either take a year out or be released into clearing and see if there is anywhere else you would rather go

Thanks guys

You can just withdraw your UCAS application from what I recall. Also, if you change your mind, you can ask the university to release you which will enable you to go into clearing I think.
Original post by Melikeyflute
You can just withdraw your UCAS application from what I recall. Also, if you change your mind, you can ask the university to release you which will enable you to go into clearing I think.

Asking to be release AFTER results day *can* take up to a fortnight to organised - by which point most clearing vacancies will be gone.

If you know NOW that you don't want to go to your insurance then phone them up NOW and tell them so that they can offer your place to someone else and so that you can go straight into clearing if your firm rejects you.
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
Really

So ... even if there was an ideal course you would not consider it

This is not that unusual. Though I originally liked my insurance, I had decided pretty much by results day that I'd only go to my firm, and if I didn't get in take (at least) a year out. I fell in love with my firm uni and knew I'd spend any time anywhere else just thinking what could have been.

I might have gone to a different uni the following year, but I'd at least want to visit the place once before committing to going there, which I wouldn't have a chance to do in clearing. Open days were a big thing for me.

Of course I completely understand some people don't mind so much about visiting beforehand, and some people are less bothered about what uni/course and just know they want to go to uni in general. I just was set on the one, so can empathise with the op :smile:

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
This is not that unusual.

In my experience it is very unusual for students to not even consider clearing

I certainly know students who have not found anything they want in clearing and have taken a different approach

BUT

I have known 0 students (in nearly 30 years of teaching) that have decided to not even look at clearing
Reply 18
No you dont even have to go to your firm if you get in and dont want to go
Naa, just ring/email them explaining your circumstances and they'll release you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending