The Student Room Group

Using a wheelchair when you can walk

I'm 18 and have had chronic leg and back pain for the last 5 years. It's gradually getting worse and the doctors can't seem to figure out what's wrong, and until they do are refusing to give me anything for the pain.
I can get around the house fine and I'm ok walking short distances, but after about 2-3 minutes of standing or walking, what is normally a dull ache, becomes an intense burning pain. I'm getting to the point now where I rarely leave the house.

I'm considering buying a cheap self propelled wheelchair, just for long distances, so I can join in when my mates want to go to London, shopping or go to a theme park. Also my mums type 1 diabetes is getting worse and she may not be able to drive me around much longer.

I feel like this is my only option, but I also feel like I shouldn't use a wheelchair for what, compared to most users, is a minor problem. I get enough comments about attention seeking when I walk with a cane and because I can't give an answer when people ask what's wrong with me they think this even more

Any advice? (Sorry for rambling)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know some people who can walk short distances and use a wheelchair; as it means they have more energy to actually do other things.
Reply 2
Get one!

My mother had undiagnosed chronic leg pain and couldn't even get out of bed at the end of her life. She refused a wheelchair but it would have made life so much easier for her as she couldn't leave the house, yet, if she had a wheelchair it would have been a really big help and made her life much more fulfilled.

If it is causing you serious impairment, as it seems to be, help yourself out and invest in one for the time being.

My sister had one on the NHS for CFS/CPS and it also helped massively.
Reply 3
Get one. You don't need to be paralysed to use one and there is no point in being in pain all the time when it could be much less painful.
Reply 4
Get one if it will make your life easier which it sounds like it would. Dont worry about what others think, they dont know whats going on and people often find it hard to understand just how bad these things can be
Yeah, a lot of people with similar problems will use a wheelchair. If you cannot walk for a 'normal' amount of time (just like the average person who has no problems with their body/has an illness) then you are perfectly within reason to use a wheelchair.
Reply 6
I had corrective surgery last June and I'm currently still using crutches and a wheelchair. I use my crutches in school all day but when it comes to busy crowds and long distances I feel much safer in my wheelchair. I know it's not the greatest thing in the world, as it's not as good as independent walking, but why suffer in pain when there's something which can solve it? Its the best option.
Reply 7
Thank you all fr your advice

Now just to find one I can afford

Decided to finally do this when saw they were on sale at halfords, but apparently they only have them in Ireland -.-

To eBay!
I once went in a wheelchair borrowed from my nan to a uni open day (although my dad pushed it) because of an intermittent knee condition that I have. It wasn't even particularly bad at that point, I'd had a flare up the previous day but woke up fine, but I just knew that it was cold and it could flare up again at any point. Therefore it was just easier for my dad to push me in the wheelchair so I didn't end up having to skip the campus tour.
Reply 9
My mum bought a wheelchair for my grandparents- they can still walk but only short distances and really slowly so if we need to get them around somewhere within a timeframe its easier to just push them around.
Get one! My Dad can only walk short distances without intense pain and even when he can walk he's very slow and walks with a stick (he's only 42 so it's horrible to see him that way), he has Fibromyalgia and really struggles, but we rented a self-propelled wheelchair for holidays and now we've bought him a motorized scooter and although sometimes he feels self-conscious, it's improved his quality of life so much, and we can all go out places together now - we're closer as a family. Definitely, definitely go for it :smile:
Is there anyway you can get one on the NHS instead of buying your own? Although, I seem to remember there's probably criteria to meet to get one.
Reply 12
My doctors don't want to give me one because they are scared ill use it all the time no matter how many times I say I won't.

Then again these are the same doctors refusing to give me any form of pain relief until they have a diagnosis... It's been 6 years!

I give up with expecting anything from them tbh
Original post by Anonymous
My doctors don't want to give me one because they are scared ill use it all the time no matter how many times I say I won't.

Then again these are the same doctors refusing to give me any form of pain relief until they have a diagnosis... It's been 6 years!

I give up with expecting anything from them tbh

Wow, see another doctor. I don't have a diagnosis but I have very strong prescription painkillers (which I take as sparingly as possible) - this is not the same problem sometimes that affects my mobility that I don't have a diagnosis for. I understand your frustration, I'm at 3 years now without a diagnosis, and I'm about to have to go and see my 6th GP about it. The first 4 were useless, the last one was fantastic but is off on maternity so on to another one.

If you're looking for something cheap, you can try somewhere that sells them recycled and refurbished if there's one near you. I know there's one in my hometown and they provide jobs for disabled people fixing up equipment for other disabled people, it's a fantastic project. Mum is currently saving up to get herself a motorised scooter, but the prizes there start at about half what they would for a brand new one.
Reply 14
Original post by minimarshmallow
Wow, see another doctor. I don't have a diagnosis but I have very strong prescription painkillers (which I take as sparingly as possible) - this is not the same problem sometimes that affects my mobility that I don't have a diagnosis for. I understand your frustration, I'm at 3 years now without a diagnosis, and I'm about to have to go and see my 6th GP about it. The first 4 were useless, the last one was fantastic but is off on maternity so on to another one.

If you're looking for something cheap, you can try somewhere that sells them recycled and refurbished if there's one near you. I know there's one in my hometown and they provide jobs for disabled people fixing up equipment for other disabled people, it's a fantastic project. Mum is currently saving up to get herself a motorised scooter, but the prizes there start at about half what they would for a brand new one.

I've seen 4 GPS, 4 consultants and 2 physiotherapists

Each just says they don't know what's wrong but whatever it is is someone else's department, and they all just tell me the next doctor will prescribe me something. I have been to,d I'm being referred to a pain clinic but its been 2 months and I've heard nothing. Followed up with my gp who said shed speed things along but still nothing -.-
Has anyone actually done any form of test on you to rule out stuff?
Original post by Anonymous
I've seen 4 GPS, 4 consultants and 2 physiotherapists

Each just says they don't know what's wrong but whatever it is is someone else's department, and they all just tell me the next doctor will prescribe me something. I have been to,d I'm being referred to a pain clinic but its been 2 months and I've heard nothing. Followed up with my gp who said shed speed things along but still nothing -.-

I've seen 5 GPs, three physios, two rheumatologists, two radiographers and a sonographer, they've still got nothing. Go back to your GP and ask her for the prescription, tell her that everyone keeps shoving you around in terms of pain relief and you just want someone to do it and then you can tell everyone else that you already have pain relief. That's what I did, and it's usually from the GP you get that kind of medication anyway, so it's on repeat prescription for you.
Reply 17
I take a mixture of pregabalin, morphine, codeine, tramadol, dihydrocodeine, naproxen and valium for a slipped disc. Why they wont prescribe you anything is bizzare. Even if it was something like amitriptyline and an NSAID for the pain.

What is their rationale for not prescribing anything?
Reply 18
I know exactly what your going through. As a child/teenager I had M.E which meant long distances of walking were impossible and the amount of dirty looks you get from people as you get out the car and walk two steps to the wheelchair is unreal. But if it makes your life easier with considerably less pain - do it!! I spent too long worrying what other people thought that I made myself worst for it - stop thinking of other people and do what is best for you.

Invisible illnesses are horrible - I hope you get better soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Rybee
I take a mixture of pregabalin, morphine, codeine, tramadol, dihydrocodeine, naproxen and valium for a slipped disc. Why they wont prescribe you anything is bizzare. Even if it was something like amitriptyline and an NSAID for the pain.

What is their rationale for not prescribing anything?

Their rationale is that if they mask the pain they won't find the cause. The ones that don't think this pressume that the next doctor they re me to will give me something. Only prescription I've ever gotten was for paracetamol the same strength as you buy OTC! And that was only after hip surgery (they found a small tear in the cartilage and thought that might be causing the pain). It was after that, when i still had the leg pain, that everyone seemed to just give up :/

Quick Reply

Latest