The Student Room Group

Don't You Just Hate It When People Tell You To Hurry Up

Hi,

I work at an off license as a cashier and I get all sorts of problems.

One that has been pissing me off lately is when customers tell me to hurry up, simply because their bus is coming. Due to the location of this store, a lot of the customers come in to get bus passes and phone credit.

Myself and other members of staff don't like it when customers tell us to hurry up as it not only makes us feel bad but it is simply being very rude and being embarrassed in front of other customers.

I had a customer come in today and tell me to hurry up. Obviously I could not hurry up because she had a lot of items to buy and the fact that I work alone makes it even worse. Anyways, by the time she left the store she missed the bus, and she had the cheek to come back and tell me that I was simply too slow.

In my defense, I told her that it was her fault as she clearly knew that her bus was coming, then why was she so so desperate for a few scratchcards and other items?

I then had another customer to wire some money. She wanted me to be quick about it, and that really pissed me off. Wiring money involves some sort of risk, and simply being quick about it means that either I will lose money or the customer will lose money. Either way both parties will be negatively affected. I simply told this customer to go elsewhere where money transfer was simply a '5 minute process'. She obviously had no luck because we were the only store to do in the area and we are quite reputable. We have received awards from the wiring company.

Anyways, why do people have the need to tell you to hurry up? They are not your boss! I don't care if I'm losing that potential customer or losing money, I simply do not take trash or disrespect from such people. Even if it was a £1m they were going to spend I would not take the money, especially not money from ignorant people.

Scroll to see replies

What is wiring money?
Reply 2
Original post by marcus2001
What is wiring money?

Doing money transfer electronically.
Reply 3
Stop moaning, and hurry up, then. Simple.
Be sarcastic.

"I missed the bus because you were too slow"

"Well you should have walked quicker"
Reply 5
Original post by clubber

Anyways, why do people have the need to tell you to hurry up? They are not your boss! I don't care if I'm losing that potential customer or losing money,

I take it that the adage "the customer is always right" has not been part of your training
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
I take it that the adage "the customer is always right" has not been part of your training

Why should it be? It's an outdated, stupid adage. If you have a nice, agreeable customer, then it's fine. But if your customers are acting like dicks, then why should you not be a dick back? Respect works both ways. Just because you are doing a job, it does not mean you can be treated like ****.
Reply 7
Original post by navarre
Just because you are doing a job, it does not mean you can be treated like ****.

Anxious customers who are asking the OP to hurry up are not treating him like ****

He works in a shop where he knows people are going to be in a hurry ... why is it such a big deal for him that people ask him to hurry up
Reply 8
Anxious customers who are asking the OP to hurry up are not treating him like ****

He works in a shop where he knows people are going to be in a hurry ... why is it such a big deal for him that people ask him to hurry up

Did you not read the OP? His tasks are not easily hurried. Clever people, when they're in a rush, don't go into a shop and do something time consuming like wire money.
Reply 9
Original post by navarre
Did you not read the OP? His tasks are not easily hurried. Clever people, when they're in a rush, don't go into a shop and do something time consuming like wire money.

No, they don't

But they are still not treating him badly
Why don't you just hurry up then? You wouldn't be told off, and you wouldn't have anything to complain about.
Say "I'm trying as hard as I can"... Then take your time

But to be honest, you're here moaning about being told to hurry up at your job when millions of people are without a job.

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 12

Actually you are wrong.

How do you know the customers were anxious?

How do you know that people are going to be in a hurry? 98% of my customers are not in a hurry. If the bus comes, they don't come in my store or they just say 'sorry' and leave the store. These people are the ones who are respectful.

Then you get the 2% of customers who you refer to as 'anxious'. These people decide to be dicks and treat you like ****, but apparently 'the customers always right'. **** that bull****, they are wrong most of the time.
Reply 13
Original post by navarre

Exactly. Thank you so much navarre for explaining to someone what its like working in an off license. I tried to give you a +1, but the forum won't allow it.

At least some people understand TenOfThem. You and your 'customers are always right' bull****. How about you work my job and see how its like.

Thought so. Don't talk **** TenOfThem.

Once again, THANK YOU NAVARRE FOR UNDERSTANDING WHAT ITS LIKE WORKING IN RETAIL :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

+1 REP
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by clubber
Exactly. Thank you so much navarre for explaining to someone what its like working in an off license. I tried to give you a +1, but the forum won't allow it.

At least some people understand TenOfThem. You and your 'customers are always right' bull****. How about you work my job and see how its like.

Thought so. Don't talk **** TenOfThem.

Once again, THANK YOU NAVARRE FOR UNDERSTANDING WHAT ITS LIKE WORKING IN RETAIL :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

+1 REP

I spent most of my university time working in service industries including retail

Customers are part and parcel of the job

One of them telling you to hurry up (or being far ruder) is life
Reply 15
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Why don't you just hurry up then? You wouldn't be told off, and you wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Oh, because you know how do just that if you worked in an off license ChocoCoatedLemons.

Don't talk **** to me.

Are you stupid? You want to give the customers a couple of scratch cards, some milk, chocolate, and beers very very quickly. You want me to bag up the items and take the payment within a minute? How's that even possible?

You tell me if I can hurry up?
Original post by clubber
Oh, because you know how do just that if you worked in an off license ChocoCoatedLemons.

Don't talk **** to me.

Are you stupid? You want to give the customers a couple of scratch cards, some milk, chocolate, and beers very very quickly. You want me to bag up the items and take the payment within a minute? How's that even possible?

You tell me if I can hurry up?

It really doesn't work to sound at all intimidating in a reply when you're using my TSR name.

Just do your job. It's what your paid for. If it's that much of a problem, quit. It isn't unreasonable to want a cashier to work quickly.
Reply 17
No, they don't

But they are still not treating him badly

No, they don't what TenOfThem?

How the **** do you know if 'they are still not treating him badly'?

You think if someone gives you the cheek and say that 'Thanks to you, I missed my bus', you think its ok just to take **** from customers.

I mean the 'customers are always right' aren't they TenOfThem?
Original post by clubber
No, they don't what TenOfThem?

shop when they are in a hurry

How the **** do you know if 'they are still not treating him badly'?

You think if someone gives you the cheek and say that 'Thanks to you, I missed my bus', you think its ok just to take **** from customers.

I mean the 'customers are always right' aren't they TenOfThem?

Are you really so sensitive that a customer telling you that it is your fault they missed the bus causes you distress

Whilst people actually being offensive, swearing at you or similar is certainly not acceptable

You are arguing with customers who are just in a hurry

Given where you work ... the behaviour of your customers is perfectly understandable

We all have some cr@p in our jobs ... it is part of life ... in yours it is the fact that you have to deal with people in a hurry
Reply 19
Original post by navarre
Why should it be? It's an outdated, stupid adage. If you have a nice, agreeable customer, then it's fine. But if your customers are acting like dicks, then why should you not be a dick back? Respect works both ways. Just because you are doing a job, it does not mean you can be treated like ****.

Thats so true. At least navarre can think straight.

Are you high or something TenOfThem? I don't think you have worked in retail before, because if you did you would have not said 'the customers always right'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending