The Student Room Group

How many people did you invite to your 18th birthday party?

I'm planning my 18th birthday party which is in summer and I'm undecided as what to do.
My birthday is on a Friday, so my parents suggested going out for a meal with my immediate family (6 of us) and then have a party at the weekend. I'm then going to Amsterdam on the Tuesday with a close friend until the end of that week.

My issue is I don't really know what to do about a 'party' at the weekend.
I have the option of hiring out a venue. It would be a football club function room venue with a pretty big capacity. I was thinking around 80-90 friends before my family/adults but I didn't know if that would be more hassle than it's worth.
I was at a large birthday party last week where there was around 70-80 people were there (excluding adults and small family children), and it was great being a guest, I just don't know what it'd be like in terms of organising it and if it'd be too much hassle.
Or I could have a smaller party with closer friends, so like 30-40 perhaps but then would it lose the 'party' vibe and become a bit boring? Also, I don't want to get a big venue if there isn't going to be that many people. So what's an alternative?

What did you do for your 18th? If you had a venue party, how many people came? Was it difficult to organise? I really don't want it to be stressful!

My 17th was a family pool party with a BBQ and a fire at home whilst watching the Olympic Games opening ceremony so I'm feeling something a bit different this year!

EDIT: Being neg'd for asking people how many people they had to their 18th birthday party and what their experiences were and what I could do? Oh dear some people on here are laughable! :facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had 6 people and a bbq in my garden.
Reply 2
30. Although most of it was family.
Reply 3
had about 30 at my house for a fancy dress party :cool:
None, I didn't have one. Went to the pub with one friend and was home by 11.
I attended one on Friday and it was crazy. About 200-250 people were there and although it was really busy, it was just a good night because everyone gets a drink and you meet a lot of new people (like there were people who were a year younger). Id hire out a venue and maybe create a list because its inevitable that someone will ask you if they can bring another person etc, so the initial number will increase. If get a good DJ though as in my opinion a good party is if the music is good. When the DJ starts playing One Direction or some other sh** boyband then it's my que to leave.

I'd suggest maybe a bigger party maybe 100-120 people as I'm assuming it'll be your last year in school and it will be a chance for everyone to see each other again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by munchen102
I attended one on Friday and it was crazy. About 200-250 people were there and although it was really busy, it was just a good night because everyone gets a drink and you meet a lot of new people (like there were people who were a year younger). Id hire out a venue and maybe create a list because its inevitable that someone will ask you if they can bring another person etc, so the initial number will increase. If get a good DJ though as in my opinion a good party is if the music is good. When the DJ starts playing One Direction or some other sh** boyband then it's my que to leave.

I'd suggest maybe a bigger party maybe 100-120 people as I'm assuming it'll be your last year in school and it will be a chance for everyone to see each other again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I even know that many people! :frown:
I was thinking I'd probably just make a playlist on a laptop and plug it into the music system there as I can't trust DJs and their song choices sometimes! Yeah, I'd allow people to bring plus 1s, but obviously not everybody, I think the only people who'd bring them, is people who don't necessarily know a lot of people at the party, like you said, I don't want to end up with millions of people there!!
Reply 7
Original post by lilGem
had about 30 at my house for a fancy dress party :cool:

I love fancy dress!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I invited 5 people to my party, but whether Xbox counts is another matter :ahee:

It just depends on how big you consider a good party to be. You're only 18 once and if you think 80 would be good, you should do it.
Reply 9
Original post by sinkersub
I invited 5 people to my party, but whether Xbox counts is another matter :ahee:

It just depends on how big you consider a good party to be. You're only 18 once and if you think 80 would be good, you should do it.

Hahaha, good choice! Yeah you're right, I guess everybody is different in what they like. Thank you :biggrin::biggrin:
Origianally invited about 100, but about 50 people turned up tn a rented club for the night.

We ended up having the bouncers let anyone in, and it was awesome. Complete strangers were getting me 'congratulations' drinks for being 18 like it's a huge accomplishment! XD

All round good night for anyone into that sort of thing.
Reply 11
Original post by pandapops
I love fancy dress!! :biggrin:

I just did a 'film' theme, went down really well! There was everything :h:
Reply 12
Original post by Clioashlee
Origianally invited about 100, but about 50 people turned up tn a rented club for the night.

We ended up having the bouncers let anyone in, and it was awesome. Complete strangers were getting me 'congratulations' drinks for being 18 like it's a huge accomplishment! XD

All round good night for anyone into that sort of thing.

So you had 50 extra to what you invited? I don't know if that'd be my version of heaven or hell haha! At least the free drinks made up for it. Did you find it took a lot of organising or was a lot of hassle?
The floods in cumbria 3 years ago left all but two pubs shut in the town. My birthday fell on the friday night which is the busiest added to that the other pub was shut that weekend because they were doing the repairs cos what'd they'd done was only temporary. So basically everyone who wanted to drink went to my birthday night out.
Reply 14
I reckon it was about 100 people or so. It was basically everyone in my 6th form, plus a load of people from other schools/colleges.
I'm 18 in August and planning to go to Alton Towers with a friend then go get hammered at the pub a few days later. Just because you're 18 it doesn't mean you have to go crazy, I prefer simple things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had about 30 people round for a house party.

I think it was good, I don't know it was my 18th. I don't remember much of it :rolleyes:

But I'd say invite quite a few more people than you want to turn up because not everyone will be able to make it :smile:
A fair few- about 50 I think with another 50 from the other host as the birthdays were the same day.
Overall about 30-40 showed up from both sides. I learnt who my friends were on that day :colone:
Original post by pandapops
So you had 50 extra to what you invited? I don't know if that'd be my version of heaven or hell haha! At least the free drinks made up for it. Did you find it took a lot of organising or was a lot of hassle?

Sorry that's my poor sentence formation. Of the 100 I invited, only about 50 turned up. I don't think I even know 100 people, it was mainly invited friends, bring a friend. My mum's friend is a party planner, he sorted everything out (which pretty much consisted of booking the club for the night and getting a cake tbh).

It seems great having the whole club to yourself at first, but then we realised the more people that were there, the better time you had anyway.

The thought of being in a club (or even away from me bed past midnight) now makes me feel ill lol XD
Reply 19
Original post by youbonkers

But I'd say invite quite a few more people than you want to turn up because not everyone will be able to make it :smile:

Thats what I'm dreading! Inviting a load of people and hiring a big venue and people not being able to make it for whatever reason - worst nightmare ever!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending