The Student Room Group

Respected uni or preferred course?

So ive got offers at my top two unis, Edinburgh and Portsmouth.
I was just curious as to what people think...
I like both cities and unis almost equally, Edinburgh city I like slightly more, but Portsmouth I prefer the course.
However, Edinburgh uni has quite a big name for its self and I guess is considered a prestigious uni. Portsmouth is an old poly-tech.
I've firmed Portsmouth as I much prefer the way the course is run, do you think I should have gone for Edinburgh just for effect on my cv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is your subject?
Reply 2
I am in a similar situation...
One offer from Oxford Brookes for a course I always wanted to do and love...
and the other offer is from Reading, for a course which i like, it sounds really interesting and they have a good reputation for that course...

Really would love to give you advise, but I dont know...my gut feeling says to go for the course you feel more passionate about, no matter what university it is!
Edinburgh is a much nicer place, a nicer, ancient university and is prestigious both in the UK and internationally.

Yes, you made the wrong choice.
Reply 4
i turned down nottingham for teesside! because i much preferred the look of the modules and the environment. yes, i know both nottingham and middlesbrough havent got the best reputations for their areas, however i felt more in place in teesside. like it had more of a friendly vibe to it. if you felt happier choosing portsmouth then yes its the right decision. i felt bad turning down a uni that is in the russel group to a uni that some people see as having a bad reputation! but for my course it is perfect (adult nursing). plus teesside has a higher graduate employment rate for nursing than nottingham.
if youre studying there for x amount of years, you want to be happy doing the course you are doing. you dont want to be at a uni, knowing that you dont enjoy the content as much as you would at another uni, just because its seen as more prestigious!
Reply 5
I'm doing dental hygiene and therapy. And do prefer the way the course is run at Portsmouth and its always been my goal uni. So I guess I made the right choice. I don't think I'd be unhappy anywhere, and Edinburgh is my insurance and I really don't know how my exams will go so I'm putting it down to "whatever happens was meant to be"

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think everyone should go for the course they prefer, if you enjoy your course you're more likely to stick at it and get a good degree.
Reply 7
I've recently picked Portsmouth over Hull because I preferred the university/area over Hull even tho Hull is further up the league tables.

University is what you make of it and i'm a strong believer in fate so what meant for us will happen. What's the point spending 3/4 years at university if it's not where your hearts at. I'm sure we'll love Portsmouth and have the time of our lives!

Have you looked at accommodation yet?
Reply 8
Original post by maskofsanity
Edinburgh is a much nicer place, a nicer, ancient university and is prestigious both in the UK and internationally.

Yes, you made the wrong choice.

I would have to agree with this..
Portsmouth is good at vocational, science/tech subjects and has real credibility in these areas. Dont just go for 'prestige' - look at the actual content of the course and think carefully about which University environment you will be happiest in.
It's what you make it.

I am at MMU (put your pitchforks and Holy Water away) reading electrical and electronic engineering, and I've just got myself a job at a world leading engineering firm.

I've embraced extra curricular activities and got firsts in every unit I have done. I was competing with a lot of other students from Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and other such places and I got the job. So - reputation is not everything. Though, on TSR, it is.

Do what makes you happy and let everything else fall into place.
Reply 11
Original post by kdranginis
So ive got offers at my top two unis, Edinburgh and Portsmouth.
I was just curious as to what people think...
I like both cities and unis almost equally, Edinburgh city I like slightly more, but Portsmouth I prefer the course.
However, Edinburgh uni has quite a big name for its self and I guess is considered a prestigious uni. Portsmouth is an old poly-tech.
I've firmed Portsmouth as I much prefer the way the course is run, do you think I should have gone for Edinburgh just for effect on my cv?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you firmed less then seven days ago, you can still change your mind if you call UCAS. DO THIS ASAP.

You made the wrong choice. Portsmouth is rubbish.

Oxford for Maths, or Kent for Maths as it offers more flexibility?

Sure, flexibility and structure is worth something, but only so much.. prestige still matters.
Reply 12
I'm doing dental hygiene and therapy. And do prefer the way the course is run at Portsmouth and its always been my goal uni. So I guess I made the right choice. I don't think I'd be unhappy anywhere, and Edinburgh is my insurance and I really don't know how my exams will go so I'm putting it down to "whatever happens was meant to be"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would normally advise prestige over course content - unfortunately a 'name' (especially one like Edinburgh) does look better on a CV - BUT given your course is vocational and Portsmouth has a good rep for health related courses you absolutely made the right decision...

...and the weather will be so much better!
Reply 13
Hi there.

I can't comment on Portsmouth, but I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh. Hopefully I can shed a little bit of information regarding Edinburgh.

Completely unbiased, it's a top school. The work you have to put in is very demanding and the social aspect can dwindle; unless you're a genius which I'm not haha!

The people are very grade orientated and they know their good, but at the same time they have a solid work ethic and finding peers who are similar to yourself is very easy - well at least for me it was.

The city is nice, I have to admit - but the night-life is a little quieter I've noticed (I'm from Glasgow though, so I guess my opinion on night-life is biased and thus shouldn't count haha!) But the house party aspects are exceptional - the amount of people you meet from different backgrounds is immense due to its international repute.

The lecturers are of a top standard; a lot of them in my course were either oxford or cambridge graduates so their the top in their field which means the education you're getting is well paid for and well noticed by probable future employers.

I'm sure there might be some bad aspects to the university, like some annoying students or the like but overall their a good bunch.

I wish I could have helped you with portsmouth, but unfortunately I haven't been to that university so my knowledge on it is practically zero.
Sorry about that.

L.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Annuhlees
I've recently picked Portsmouth over Hull because I preferred the university/area over Hull even tho Hull is further up the league tables.

University is what you make of it and i'm a strong believer in fate so what meant for us will happen. What's the point spending 3/4 years at university if it's not where your hearts at. I'm sure we'll love Portsmouth and have the time of our lives!

Have you looked at accommodation yet?

I've looked online and know which ones I will be putting down. Just the usual, James Watts/Harry Law. I'd like en suite, but the biggest thing for me is self catering, I think its more social :smile:. And easier when mates from home come down. How about you, what are you studying?
Reply 15
Original post by tommydeaks
It's what you make it.

I am at MMU (put your pitchforks and Holy Water away) reading electrical and electronic engineering, and I've just got myself a job at a world leading engineering firm.

I've embraced extra curricular activities and got firsts in every unit I have done. I was competing with a lot of other students from Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and other such places and I got the job. So - reputation is not everything. Though, on TSR, it is.

This is what I thought, let your own dedication show, not just the unis :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Enavor
Hi there.

I can't comment on Portsmouth, but I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh. Hopefully I can shed a little bit of information regarding Edinburgh.

Completely unbiased, it's a top school. The work you have to put in is very demanding and the social aspect can dwindle; unless you're a genius which I'm not haha!

The people are very grade orientated and they know their good, but at the same time they have a solid work ethic and finding peers who are similar to yourself is very easy - well at least for me it was.

The city is nice, I have to admit - but the night-life is a little quieter I've noticed (I'm from Glasgow though, so I guess my opinion on night-life is biased and thus shouldn't count haha!) But the house party aspects are exceptional - the amount of people you meet from different backgrounds is immense due to its international repute.

The lecturers are of a top standard; a lot of them in my course were either oxford or cambridge graduates so their the top in their field which means the education you're getting is well paid for and well noticed by probable future employers.

I'm sure there might be some bad aspects to the university, like some annoying students or the like but overall their a good bunch.

I wish I could have helped you with portsmouth, but unfortunately I haven't been to that university so my knowledge on it is practically zero.
Sorry about that.

L.

This was a great insight to Edinburgh! I know I'd be happy there, and if I do get into Portsmouth (my firm) I definitely want to try and get a job in Edinburgh one day, or do post-qualification courses there. It's the most beautiful city I've ever seen. But after a day to think about the choice I made, I think I've done the right thing. I think Ports have got the upper hand in the way the course is run (for how I learn anyway :smile:)
Reply 17
This was a great insight to Edinburgh! I know I'd be happy there, and if I do get into Portsmouth (my firm) I definitely want to try and get a job in Edinburgh one day, or do post-qualification courses there. It's the most beautiful city I've ever seen. But after a day to think about the choice I made, I think I've done the right thing. I think Ports have got the upper hand in the way the course is run (for how I learn anyway :smile:)

I have to congratulate you getting a firm on Portsmouth and I'm sure that you will meet many friends who will be undoubtedly there for you in the future.

As for Edinburgh or any university for that matter, you could apply there after you're undergraduate studies at Portsmouth to do postgraduate studies; that way you will know exactly what both universities are like. This means you will get the chance to have multiple experiences.

I myself have thought about doing postgraduate studies after my BSc, simply for the experience of another university =D

The very best!

L.
Reply 18
Original post by tommydeaks
It's what you make it.

Don't be naive, you got lucky.

There are plenty of employers who would bin an application from MMU straight away. Employers in high level finance and law, for example.

The university you went to *does* matter, a lot. Obviously there will be exceptions, like yourself and other stray MMU students finding good work, but statistics are there for a reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending