The Student Room Group

Choosing a university/course

I've been offered conditional offers from Lancaster University (Conservation Biology), The University of Kent (Wildlife Conservation) and Greenwich University (Animal Conservation and Biodiversity) but I am unsure which one to take and need to choose soon.

Is anyone else in this type of situation? Thanks for reading and replying :smile:
Reply 1
What are the grades you need for each?
I was in your type of situation;

There were three things that came to my mind:

Entry requirements
Location of the University
University Ranking

Lancaster Uni was the best ranked but it was way up north (200 miles from where I live)
Kent was a fairly decent ranked University in a location too far from where I live but the entry requirements were the same as Lancaster (DDM) and Lancaster is a top 10 Uni whilst Kent is in the mid 30's
Then one of my other choices which was UWE Bristol; the location was decent, entry requirements were also decent (DMM) but it was way down the rankings.

And then I made up my mind...I figured that I didn't care if I had to live far away from home following that I compared all three Uni's by using this website http://university.which.co.uk/ I compared all three of them; it goes into all details such as nightlife, prices, rankings and so forth. I came to the conclusion that Lancaster was the one! And I've firmed it since :smile:

I also think you should visit the open days of your Uni's if you can to give you a taste of what it's like studying there.

Hope that helped! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm studying a Level 3 Extended Diploma so I need DDM for Lancaster and Kent, and MMM for Greenwich
Reply 4
Thank you! I haven't heard of that website so ill definitely check that out.
Which course will you be studying? I'm slightly worried about the distance, I live just outside of London so Greenwich and Kent aren't too far but Lancaster is a 4 hour drive. I'm more worried about the course I will be doing though, it seems that at Lancaster it will be much harder, although I can't seem to find any more information than the modules listed in the prospectus.
Unfortunately I did leave my application quite late as I was originally planning to take a gap year, so I haven't visited the unis, but I am currently at the university of Greenwich (Hadlow college) so I know what that campus is like.
I have looked at the times university ranking guide and Lancaster is 9, Kent 22 and Greenwich 86 I think, and Lancaster also offers the most support financially so I know which is best in those respects, it's just the course content and difficulty I'm worried about.
Thanks again!
Original post by Tld12
Thank you! I haven't heard of that website so ill definitely check that out.
Which course will you be studying? I'm slightly worried about the distance, I live just outside of London so Greenwich and Kent aren't too far but Lancaster is a 4 hour drive. I'm more worried about the course I will be doing though, it seems that at Lancaster it will be much harder, although I can't seem to find any more information than the modules listed in the prospectus.
Unfortunately I did leave my application quite late as I was originally planning to take a gap year, so I haven't visited the unis, but I am currently at the university of Greenwich (Hadlow college) so I know what that campus is like.
I have looked at the times university ranking guide and Lancaster is 9, Kent 22 and Greenwich 86 I think, and Lancaster also offers the most support financially so I know which is best in those respects, it's just the course content and difficulty I'm worried about.
Thanks again!

Have you checked the websites of each of the universities? Those should normally contain all the information of your course such as modules and such. If not E-mail them (that's what I did) I applied for Computer Science and so asked them a question via e-mail and the responded within a week.

You can always Google some reviews of the course that you're going to study at each perticular uni and see what you find :smile:

If you can make it to an open day I can guarantee that you will come out understanding every bit of the course; I went to one and talked to one of the previous students there for 10mins and they explained everything very clearly! :smile:
Reply 6
Yes I have checked the websites but have found that they say the same as the prospectus and just lists the modules, I fear that at Lancaster studying conservation biology may be a lot more difficult than wildlife or animal conservation, I also want to work out in the field rather than looking into the biological side so I'm not sure if its the right course for me.
I would like to speak to current students but the open days aren't until July and August and I need to choose a firm choice by then so I'm unsure and am in a very awkward situation. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending