The Student Room Group

Should I apply

Hi,

I am in lower sixth, I have started to look at universitys but I have always wanted to go to Trinity Dublin. I am Irish and definiatley applying to Trinity I have one problem though. I go to school in England so instead of leaving certificate I do A levels. In Ireland they also have a point system, you can get max 100 points in exam, to study law in Trinity you have to have minimum 525 points, I do 3 exams so if I convert it I still wont have enough points, Will I don't know will I be able to apply as an international student because I have an Irish citezenship an Irish passport and the minute I open my mouth they will know I am Irish. I also have an Irish name. Please help what should I do?
Don't they also count your ASs? If so, wouldn't you have 3A2s and 1AS? Also, I've heard that you get 'bonus' points for some subjects, e.g. maths gives you an extra 25 points or something...
Also do you mean exam or subject by 'exam'? If you mean 'exam', then you will probably have more than 3 - most A levels have two exams per subject.
They must cater for people doing A levels - it's one of the most popular exam systems and so they must have applicants in a similar situation to you.
My best advice is to contact them - they may say that they will consider A levels separately to their points system, or advise you to take all 4 ASs to A2 level or something like that...
Original post by irishgurl
Hi,

I am in lower sixth, I have started to look at universitys but I have always wanted to go to Trinity Dublin. I am Irish and definiatley applying to Trinity I have one problem though. I go to school in England so instead of leaving certificate I do A levels. In Ireland they also have a point system, you can get max 100 points in exam, to study law in Trinity you have to have minimum 525 points, I do 3 exams so if I convert it I still wont have enough points, Will I don't know will I be able to apply as an international student because I have an Irish citezenship an Irish passport and the minute I open my mouth they will know I am Irish. I also have an Irish name. Please help what should I do?

I assume you're doing 3 A Levels?

Based on the website it says that you need to get 525 points. And, to get those points you can use 3 A2's and 1 AS, or 4 A2's.

So to get 525 points using 4 A Levels and an AS you would need to get...
A*A*A*D
A*A*AB

Using 3 A Levels and an AS it's quite impossible. As an A* is 150 points, so 3 A*'s is 450 points.

If you're doing A Level Maths, Further Maths, or Pure Maths you get an extra 25 points - so if you do one of those, that can boost your points, which would allow you to get in with 3 A levels and an AS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Knalchemist
I assume you're doing 3 A Levels?

Based on the website it says that you need to get 525 points. And, to get those points you can use 3 A2's and 1 AS, or 4 A2's.

So to get 525 points using 4 A Levels and an AS you would need to get...
A*A*A*D
A*A*AB

Using 3 A Levels and an AS it's quite impossible. As an A* is 150 points, so 3 A*'s is 450 points.

If you're doing A Level Maths, Further Maths, or Pure Maths you get an extra 25 points - so if you do one of those, that can boost your points, which would allow you to get in with 3 A levels and an AS.

Thanks the thing is I am definatley not taking maths, I have dyslexia so number and letters together aren't good, I have dyspraxia so I can't work with shapes and I also have dyscalculia
Thanks the thing is I am definatley not taking maths, I have dyslexia so number and letters together aren't good, I have dyspraxia so I can't work with shapes and I also have dyscalculia

What A Levels ARE you taking?

If you're doing 4 AS's, then just take all 4 at A2 if you can, seeing as you're in lower sixth. Other than that, if you're doing 3 A Levels and an AS I don't think you'd get in.
Reply 5
Original post by Knalchemist
What A Levels ARE you taking?

If you're doing 4 AS's, then just take all 4 at A2 if you can, seeing as you're in lower sixth. Other than that, if you're doing 3 A Levels and an AS I don't think you'd get in.

For A level I am taking Phsycology, History and Drama
AS level I am taking Phsycology, History, Drama and English Language
For A level I am taking Phsycology, History and Drama
AS level I am taking Phsycology, History, Drama and English Language

If you took all 4 of them at A2 you'd have a shot at Trinity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending