The Student Room Group

Can you keep your iPod in a pocket while jogging?

I'm going to try to take up jogging. I really want to be able to listen to music while I run, and I've searched online for armbands to hold my iPod, but most of them get lots of reviews saying they're too big. I've found one for about £14 but I'd rather not spend the money if I could just keep it in my jogging bottoms pocket or something? Is that practical?
I just hold mine in my hand :dontknow:
Reply 2
I find it really annoying in my pocket so used to hold it in my hand. Sports direct do a generic armband that's only a couple of pounds and fits my iPhone, or you can try amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My Addidas tracksuit bottoms have zips on the pockets. You could try those?
Reply 4
Leave it in your pocket and have the headphones under your t-shirt?
Reply 5
I usually hold mine in my hand, just because I'm paranoid about it falling out of my pockets, and I can't be bothered to get an arm band :smile:
I hold my phone (used for the running app and music) in my hand. But armbands can work too. I just think holding it is easier to be honest. That way I feel balanced - water bottle in one hand, phone in the other.
I put it in the back of my shorts and zip it up.
Reply 8
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I just hold mine in my hand :dontknow:

Original post by Tiina
I find it really annoying in my pocket so used to hold it in my hand. Sports direct do a generic armband that's only a couple of pounds and fits my iPhone, or you can try amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Razzamoly
My Addidas tracksuit bottoms have zips on the pockets. You could try those?

Original post by R1C3W1N3
Leave it in your pocket and have the headphones under your t-shirt?

Original post by jeddows
I usually hold mine in my hand, just because I'm paranoid about it falling out of my pockets, and I can't be bothered to get an arm band :smile:

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I hold my phone (used for the running app and music) in my hand. But armbands can work too. I just think holding it is easier to be honest. That way I feel balanced - water bottle in one hand, phone in the other.

Original post by yorkshire.lad
I put it in the back of my shorts and zip it up.

Thanks guys! That's awesome! I'll try holding it and keeping it in a pocket and see which works best. :smile:
I used to put it in my pocket and run the cord up inside my t-shirt, with a little clip to secure it to my collar to stop it from tugging. However, this is sadly impossible now, because my iPod has developed a new feature (of its own accord) by which it pauses the music every time the headphone jack moves even slightly in the socket. Now all I have to accompany exercise is my thoughts...
I have trackies with zip up pockets so sometimes use those, or if I want to keep an eye on my time I just hold it.
Original post by FrogInABog
I used to put it in my pocket and run the cord up inside my t-shirt, with a little clip to secure it to my collar to stop it from tugging. However, this is sadly impossible now, because my iPod has developed a new feature (of its own accord) by which it pauses the music every time the headphone jack moves even slightly in the socket. Now all I have to accompany exercise is my thoughts...

I now have this problem as well - do you know of any way to try and fix it and whether it is covered by Apple warranty? Really annoying as I now have an ipod which basically doesn't work with earphones (always jiggling in and out).
Reply 12
I bought an Adidas Mi Coach armband for 10£ i think, fits everything perfectly, my iphone and my ipod video.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xenopoecilus
I now have this problem as well - do you know of any way to try and fix it and whether it is covered by Apple warranty? Really annoying as I now have an ipod which basically doesn't work with earphones (always jiggling in and out).

Have you tried using different earphones as the problem is usually with them rather than the iPod itself
Original post by xenopoecilus

I think the problem I have is slightly different to yours (if I understand you correctly). My iPod kicks in the auto-pause function if I twist the jack within the socket (ie. without pulling it out at all), whereas it sounds like your iPod just isn't holding the headphones in properly. That said, the solution seems to be pretty much the same.

1) Try a different set of headphones. May sound obvious, but you'll need to make sure it's a problem with the iPod rather than the particular set of headphones that you're using.

2) If it's still under warranty, it should be covered, so contact Apple about it. Because of the way iPods are built, it's possible that they'll replace the whole thing, so be prepared for that.

3) If it's not under warranty, you may be able to find a 3rd party who could fix it (a non-Apple shop), or it is possible to bodge it using sellotape/cotton buds/small screwdrivers/super glue (a quick web search will bring up a fair few methods).
Reply 15
I find running the headphone cable under my shirt makes life a lot easier when I have my .mp3 player in my pocket. The clip on headphones are really handy too. I have some fairly decent in ear headphones I use for walking about but they constantly fall out if I am running or even just lifting weights so I got a cheap sports pair that hook round your ear and they work great.
yeah.. do tell me if you figure out how to do it! im uncapable of running with the headphones on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends what model it is. For example, I have a 4th gen Touch, and when my dad was about to throw away his Classic armband because he wasn't going to be using it, I tried it and it fits pretty well. Failing that, just holding it or putting it in a zipped-up pocket won't fail, I just use an armband for ease of access.
I much prefer an armband to a pocket - the headphones kind of tug as your legs hit the ground and go up and down. I use an apple armband and run the cable under my T-shirt.

Maybe go to a shop where they sell them (maybe HMV if that still exists, or PC World/Curries or something) and ask to try it on?
Reply 19
I had an ipod nano and it has a sort of clip on the back so you can clip the ipod itself to your clothes.
its broken now and although I can't afford another one (it was a gift) this is the main feature I will be looking for when looking for a new cheap mp3 player.

Quick Reply

Latest