The Student Room Group

Gym pet peeves

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by McHumpy92
But generally it is for twigs that feel threatened that they're surrounded by bigger and stronger blokes ...so they try and make themselves look tough by shadow boxing.

No, generally shadow boxing is for people that want to improve their boxing, lol.

I find it funny that so many people in this thread seem to have these issues that generally amount to either:

1) Being intimidated by other guys in the gym or
2) Trying to intimidate other guys in the gym

Where does everyone train? The OK Corral? I must go to particularly friendly gym; I have literally never come across as much passive-aggressiveness (or innocuous behaviour being interpreted as passive-aggressiveness) in the gym.
Reply 141
Original post by Mark85
No, generally shadow boxing is for people that want to improve their boxing, lol.

I find it funny that so many people in this thread seem to have these issues that generally amount to either:

1) Being intimidated by other guys in the gym or
2) Trying to intimidate other guys in the gym

Where does everyone train? The OK Corral? I must go to particularly friendly gym; I have literally never come across as much passive-aggressiveness (or innocuous behaviour being interpreted as passive-aggressiveness) in the gym.

My current gym is fine and no one does shadow boxing....previous gyms that have been full of dicks and they have been doing shadow boxing...a lot were gypos though. The cheeky bastards stole the leg press!
Reply 142
Original post by McHumpy92
My current gym is fine and no one does shadow boxing....previous gyms that have been full of dicks and they have been doing shadow boxing...a lot were gypos though. The cheeky bastards stole the leg press!

A lot of travellers do actually box though. When I used to box, at the gym I went to about 90% of the kids that trained there were travellers and a good few of the adults too.

Lol about the leg press though.
Original post by Harrifer
The unsolicited internet-advice from skinny losers. I couldn't give a **** what you've read, it's meaningless to me.

It's typically the 3x10 crowd.

What's wrong with 3x10? Most ppl stick to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't get why any of you care if others are lifting weights or using machines the wrong way, or what clothing someone is wearing what's it got to do with you? I can understand getting annoyed about people acting like dicks or leaving puddles of sweat stuff like that but why get worked up about something that doesn't concern you after all everyone's got to start of somewhere i'm sure you all weren't experts the first time you went to the gym.
Reply 145
The unsolicited internet-advice from skinny losers. I couldn't give a **** what you've read, it's meaningless to me.

It's typically the 3x10 crowd.

>implying 5x5 is any better.1365774662413.jpg

This sums up my thoughts on most things...
Original post by Chrisgibson
>implying 5x5 is any better.1365774662413.jpg

No I'm not, you're making assumptions.

I use a wide variety of rep ranges. I don't believe the supposed polarity between strength and size/aesthetics is relevant to people who lift as a hobby. I understand there is a question of priorities, but to me the idea of working on one and ignoring the other is bizarre.

3 x 10 can work, but it's not magic, and it's not gospel. Nothing is.
Original post by deathhead
What's wrong with 3x10? Most ppl stick to that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a question of training and goals. It can work, but a lot of people stick to it mindlessly. It's not magic.

Arnie used 3x10, but he also trained twice a day for 6 days a week at one point.

Also, 'most ppl' = nothing. I don't recommend you base any part of your life on what 'most ppl' do, it's illogical and weak.

I was using the '3x10 crowd' to typify a group of people. The sort of people who take protein mid-workout.
Reply 149
Original post by Motorbiker

This sums up my thoughts on most things...

This guy is an idiot. Starts the video by saying no one cares what you do, then follows it up by slagging what other people do in the gym.
It's a question of training and goals. It can work, but a lot of people stick to it mindlessly. It's not magic.

Arnie used 3x10, but he also trained twice a day for 6 days a week at one point.

Also, 'most ppl' = nothing. I don't recommend you base any part of your life on what 'most ppl' do, it's illogical and weak.

I was using the '3x10 crowd' to typify a group of people. The sort of people who take protein mid-workout.

Ahh right, yeah I agree with everything you just said. Just wondered if you had a problem with the actual program; because, obviously it depends on what your goals are. I just wondered cuz I used 3x10 for a while and saw good results from it, along with many people who would share the same aims as me in the gym :smile:
Original post by AMGULAW
This guy is an idiot. Starts the video by saying no one cares what you do, then follows it up by slagging what other people do in the gym.

The guy gives great advice

[video="youtube;TBvHbnhl3M8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvHbnhl3M8[/video]
Original post by AMGULAW

wow you must be a genius or something
Original post by yorkshire.lad
people on the phone texting whilst im waiting to use the ****ing machine. and 12 year olds trying to bench the same as fully grown men, whilst injuring themselves and using poor form.

This. Not only because I'm impatient, but these people are most likely working out to increase muscle mass. It's a pretty standard rule to take no more than 90 seconds rest between sets if you're working out for hypertrophy.

Quick Reply

Latest