The Student Room Group

Ucas extra help

I've applied for radiograpghy through the normal Ucas cycle, I've been unsucceful still waiting to hear back from one uni. What I want to know is how does Ucas extra work, also say if I want to apply for a different course will my personal statement matter or do they just do it of the grades?
Reply 1
Have you used all 5 of your choices?? And if you going to reapply for a different course write another personal statement. I reapplied for primary education after applying for midwifery and the university said to me rewrite your personal statement and send them it. Best to contact them first to see if they have any places. I have just got an interview this morning with reapplying so it worked for me :smile:
Reply 2
Yes 4 places have rejected me I've had 2 interviews which I got rejected 2 just straight rejections and still waiting to hear from one :frown: I was thinking of applying for a different course. Just contacted them before. Waiting to her back from what the say. There is soo much competition.
Reply 3
I don't know how it works then if you have used all your choices :s-smilie: I only applied for one university when i first applied so i had another 4 choices :s-smilie: sorry i can't help with that :/ all i know is that you'll need to rewrite your personal statement. My second one was nearly 2 pages long so don't worry about length.
I think Extra is a bit like clearing in the sense that the universities realise that you've had to rethink your plans, so your personal statement doesn't matter as much as it would have done if you'd applied during the normal application period.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I think Extra is a bit like clearing in the sense that the universities realise that you've had to rethink your plans, so your personal statement doesn't matter as much as it would have done if you'd applied during the normal application period.

Thats what I was thinking, they go of the grade requirements.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

However, sometimes unis do want you to send a new personal statement especially if you're making a big change. It's best to call up the unis first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I called up my chosen university this morning in regards to a course i applied to via extra (Bsc extended science) asked if I needed to send a new personal statement (I originally applied for adult nursing) and when asked if they would like me to send a new personal statement they said "it's not really necessary but you can do if you want" I'm currently trying to work out if that means yes? Or whether its a thing of being I've reapplied for a science related course as I had before then it's okay? I'm thinking to maybe do it anyway - and like explaining that I'm applying for the extended science to boost my confidence and knowledge in science in general and especially biology, before reapplying at a later date for nursing?
Does that sound fair enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Kittern
I called up my chosen university this morning in regards to a course i applied to via extra (Bsc extended science) asked if I needed to send a new personal statement (I originally applied for adult nursing) and when asked if they would like me to send a new personal statement they said "it's not really necessary but you can do if you want" I'm currently trying to work out if that means yes? Or whether its a thing of being I've reapplied for a science related course as I had before then it's okay? I'm thinking to maybe do it anyway - and like explaining that I'm applying for the extended science to boost my confidence and knowledge in science in general and especially biology, before reapplying at a later date for nursing?
Does that sound fair enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send it, but make sure it's good. If they want to ignore it they can - but if you don't send it, they can't mind read.

But don't make it sound as though you will drop out to study nursing. It might be best not to mention that.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
Send it, but make sure it's good. If they want to ignore it they can - but if you don't send it, they can't mind read.

But don't make it sound as though you will drop out to study nursing. It might be best not to mention that.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

Hiya,
thanks for your reply. I feel like I might have already have made a mistake in putting in the application with extra before sending a new statement... hmm guess i best get to work with that one then and send it off asap.
I did email them earlier regarding this question so waiting to see what they say - its a bit of a tricky one coz i'm on holiday from college atm so I dont have my tutor around for guidance. I had a bit of trouble with my original statement and its just like.. ahh pressure. I just don't wanna mess up if that makes sense! :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Kittern
Hiya,
thanks for your reply. I feel like I might have already have made a mistake in putting in the application with extra before sending a new statement... hmm guess i best get to work with that one then and send it off asap.
I did email them earlier regarding this question so waiting to see what they say - its a bit of a tricky one coz i'm on holiday from college atm so I dont have my tutor around for guidance. I had a bit of trouble with my original statement and its just like.. ahh pressure. I just don't wanna mess up if that makes sense! :frown:

Have you looked into the TSR PS Help service? It may take a while to get a reply, but it should be helpful.
Reply 11
Original post by Juno
Have you looked into the TSR PS Help service? It may take a while to get a reply, but it should be helpful.

I haven't looked yet no, but I shall.
Will I have to rewrite a new statement for each new university I apply?
All seems like a bit of a headache if you ask me.
I will be sticking to science courses though if that's any help.
Maybe I should write a science statement?

Gah, who would of thought that getting rejected from Nursing due to lack of spaces and re-applying to do extended science for personal reasons (to strengthen my sciences, and overall confidence for the most part) would make my head hurt aha.
just dunno where to start :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Kittern
I haven't looked yet no, but I shall.
Will I have to rewrite a new statement for each new university I apply?
All seems like a bit of a headache if you ask me.
I will be sticking to science courses though if that's any help.
Maybe I should write a science statement?

Gah, who would of thought that getting rejected from Nursing due to lack of spaces and re-applying to do extended science for personal reasons (to strengthen my sciences, and overall confidence for the most part) would make my head hurt aha.
just dunno where to start :rolleyes:

Personal statements should be mainly about the subject. So you don't have to write a new PS for each uni unless you're changing the subject each time - and if so, perhaps you'd benefit from a year out to decide what you really want to do.
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
Personal statements should be mainly about the subject. So you don't have to write a new PS for each uni unless you're changing the subject each time - and if so, perhaps you'd benefit from a year out to decide what you really want to do.

Nah defo not changing subject each time, the courses i'm applying are science courses with year 0 with hope of progression into health sciences.
Just each university is different so for example plymouth is - extended science, but other unis will say like - science with foundation year.
its a bit hard to explain what i mean really, hope i'm making some sort of sense.

basically applying for courses with a foundation year built in so i can build up on my confidence and knowledge.
Reply 14
unsuccessful from all 5 uni's :frown: not sure what to do :/
Reply 15
Original post by 20z12
unsuccessful from all 5 uni's :frown: not sure what to do :/

If it makes you feel any better I got 5 unsuccessful's too - have a look through extra and see if anything takes your fancy. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Kittern
If it makes you feel any better I got 5 unsuccessful's too - have a look through extra and see if anything takes your fancy. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear about that, it's so much pressure choosing a different choice but has to be done.
Reply 17
Got an email from Track just over an hour ago - I got a conditional for extended science at Plymouth!
(and amazingly that was without changing my personal statement... does that mean i wont need to send a new one?)
I'm actually so happy right now, just firmed my place :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Kittern
Got an email from Track just over an hour ago - I got a conditional for extended science at Plymouth!
(and amazingly that was without changing my personal statement... does that mean i wont need to send a new one?)
I'm actually so happy right now, just firmed my place :biggrin:

You shouldn't need to send a new one, but contact them and check. And if you have any notes or ideas then keep them safe - if you miss your offer the uni will want to discuss why you want to do the course, and anything you've written now might be helpful with that.
Reply 19
Original post by Juno
You shouldn't need to send a new one, but contact them and check. And if you have any notes or ideas then keep them safe - if you miss your offer the uni will want to discuss why you want to do the course, and anything you've written now might be helpful with that.

Awesome thank you :smile:
I drafted a few notes up already, will make sure to keep them safe then for future, will also call on Monday to ask.
Does anyone know when we can apply for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending