The Student Room Group

Girls, How important is a mans physique?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spontogical
You don't even need to go to the gym or spend much time there to be healthy and fit to be honest.

Most guys who attend the gym spend far less time than the average uni student does on Facebook.

What do you mean by the bolded btw?

The bolded bit means that a guy starts going to the gym simply to become "ripped" so that women will go out with them. I support people going to work out if they enjoy it, if it is for health reasons, or if they would like to become more confident. I draw the line, however, when guys post a million things on Facebook about how much they can bench press, or are only at the gym to creep and impress girls.
Reply 81
Surprising that there is more skinny hate than obese hate!
Also, a lot of people saying; "I don't care about physique but I can't stand...". This is completely contradictory haha.

Not trying to cause an argument but I can't help but think if there were a guys' version of this thread, saying how they don't want a girl to be too skinny but also not too fat, then every guy in that thread would be burnt at the stake. There'd be a lot of; "This is why girls are under so much pressure to conform to the glossy magazine look etc..." and "It isn't right you guys judging girls on how fat or skinny they are!".

Just a thought :tongue:.
Original post by datpiff
Learned that the hard way. If you exercise for girls and to look good in the club, etc then you will fail. Definitely. It's best to do everything for yourself.

warning for men: what is a perfect physique to us is different for women. When we look t physiques we usually just wanna be massive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is unfair. I want to be "lean" not "massive"
Original post by Black Cat
I wish I could actually put on more weight im currently 6"3 and 10 stone people call me skinny :frown: but my high metabolism makes it impossible for me to gain.

I'm 5ft 9 at about 10 stone and I'm still relatively skinny. The metabolism isn't the answer. Calorie dense foods are what you need to look at, good fats, and lots of protein. Don't forget the exercise either. :tongue:
I thought TSR girls liked skinny girls...I mean boys.

Original post by Benlaw92
Also, a lot of people saying; "I don't care about physique but I can't stand...". This is completely contradictory haha.

Not trying to cause an argument but I can't help but think if there were a guys' version of this thread, saying how they don't want a girl to be too skinny but also not too fat, then every guy in that thread would be burnt at the stake. There'd be a lot of; "This is why girls are under so much pressure to conform to the glossy magazine look etc..." and "It isn't right you guys judging girls on how fat or skinny they are!".

People who say this are so stupid. What's the point of the thread then?
Reply 85
Original post by boba
he did say physique though not face. I don't really care at all about a mans physique. If he was fat it would put me off but thats about the extent of it. But his face would make a huge difference to whether I was attracted to him. maybe lots of girls are similar and thats why they tend to say it doesn't matter

I didn't mention faces either, did I? I mean it's obvious from the pic one clearly has a much better physique.
You say "If he was fat it would put me off" and yet you seem to be arguing that you don't place importance on physique?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Eldedu
I didn't mention faces either, did I? I mean it's obvious from the pic one clearly has a much better physique.
You say "If he was fat it would put me off" and yet you seem to be arguing that you don't place importance on physique?

the picture you showed I could only see the peoples heads?
hm I'm not trying to say I don't place any importance on physique at all, like I said fatness would put me off. I mean that the difference between say a slightly chubby person an average person and a built person wouldn't make a difference. The effect is a lot less that the difference made by different facial features and hair, smell, character factors in which a small change can make a rather large difference. So relative to other things the importance of physique in attraction is minimal.
Reply 87
Original post by boba
the picture you showed I could only see the peoples heads?
hm I'm not trying to say I don't place any importance on physique at all, like I said fatness would put me off. I mean that the difference between say a slightly chubby person an average person and a built person wouldn't make a difference. The effect is a lot less that the difference made by different facial features and hair, smell, character factors in which a small change can make a rather large difference. So relative to other things the importance of physique in attraction is minimal.

And yet a fat person is still a dealbreaker. I don't know what you were aiming to achieve with this, but I'm pretty sure we agree.
Reply 88
Original post by Benlaw92

Game's gone changed, mate. Supposedly noe that we live in a more gender equal society, girls can make demands of us - that's why you see magazines like Men's Health becoming more popular because men are now under just as much pressure to conform -> My advice? Ignore the media!

While I'm here, I'd be quite interested to know what girls on this thead define as 'skinny'. Whether they mean skinny as in 'average' or skinny as in 'emaciated'.
Reply 89
For me, physique genuinely doesn't matter when it comes to actual relationships.

The vast majority of guys I've been attracted to on a casual, hook-up basis have been muscular, almost rugby-player type physique, so I came to assume that was my 'type'. But in terms of relationships, my ex was quite skinny, and my current long term boyfriend is very skinny (5"11 and around 9stone, 57kg), and I am absolutely attracted to him. I have a bigger build myself, and due to the sport I do I am without a doubt physically stronger than him, which was strange for me to start with, but now is not an issue, and I've come to love his physique. Obviously he is medically underweight, so my only concern about his size would be that he's actually eating enough, which he is, so except for that concern, I love his size.

Probably sounds cliche, but from mine and my girl friend's experience, when it comes to actual relationships, physique doesn't often matter.
Reply 90
Original post by QwentyJ
Game's gone changed, mate. Supposedly noe that we live in a more gender equal society, girls can make demands of us - that's why you see magazines like Men's Health becoming more popular because men are now under just as much pressure to conform -> My advice? Ignore the media!

While I'm here, I'd be quite interested to know what girls on this thead define as 'skinny'. Whether they mean skinny as in 'average' or skinny as in 'emaciated'.

Fair enough! But stereotypical men usually only complain of girls being too fat (not me personally). Here, men seem to have the problem of not being skinny and not too fat. We seem to have it worse haha.
Zizek.jpgzizek.jpg
Applying it the greatest faculties of mind of Philosophy and Economics it's really of lesser importance. (Although Slavoj Žižek was probably very handsome when he was younger).
Reply 92
Original post by Ollied
This always bugs me, girls always say about skinny boys, i weigh 8 stone, 5' 10" and I'd be willing to bet I eat more junk food than majority of fat people. Being skinny isn't hard work for me, but I think some people don't understand just like how people can't help being fat, neither can people that are skinny. I once made it up to 10 stone with the help of some prescribed steroids by the doctor, then I carried on eating this high intake diet and I lost it all.
Also you know being skinny is bad when you have to wear size 8 womens jeans because mens skinnys look like slim fits.

That's BS.

If you eat enough you'll put on the weight. Try eating more Carbs/Proteins.

Just because you eat junk food and don't gain weight means nothing. You're not eating enough to put weight on.
Not important at all. Unless he has health issues, I don't think his physique shouldn't be the main reason for any outcome of all sorts of relationship.
However, I am strangely attracted to boys with long, neat hair. :colondollar:
Fortunately my boyfriend is decent in terms of looks, despite being called a transvestite for his tall and slim figure. I'm short and chubby so we make up for our differences lol :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending