The Student Room Group

Fired from work :(

I was fired in January (only after working there for 2 weeks!) I have managed to get a decent job but they want an extensive history of what I have been doing for the past 3 years so I had to add it in because I couldn't have a 2 week gap in my history, the employers have said that since you were fired we might not be able to hire you because its against their policy to take people who have been fired, it all depends on their reference now.

The company did fire me, they thought I was a good, honest and hard worker and sad to let me go, however they weren't happy with my performance, would it be wrong to contact my old employers to make sure they give me a good reference? Slightly worried because I was fired, but it wasn't for doing anything wrong or bad (stealing, rude to customers etc..)

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by froz_
I was fired in January (only after working there for 2 weeks!) I have managed to get a decent job but they want an extensive history of what I have been doing for the past 3 years so I had to add it in because I couldn't have a 2 week gap in my history, the employers have said that since you were fired we might not be able to hire you because its against their policy to take people who have been fired, it all depends on their reference now.

The company did fire me, they thought I was a good, honest and hard worker and sad to let me go, however they weren't happy with my performance, would it be wrong to contact my old employers to make sure they give me a good reference? Slightly worried because I was fired, but it wasn't for doing anything wrong or bad (stealing, rude to customers etc..)

Thanks in advance!

They fired you in two weeks cause they werent happy with your performance? They didnt give you at chance at all. I would have still left them out to be honest say I went on holiday or something they wouldn't hav found out as its only two weeks, but now you've told them I would give them a quick call and explain the situation and see if they can give you a good reference, the only thing you can do good luck and hope for the best.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by froz_

Thanks in advance!

You misunderstood something, because even MI5 don't check a two week gap. However, now you have owned up to being fired, yes, you can contact that previous employer and say you hope that they will be able to give a reference that enables you to retain this job offer.

Word it that way and you won't end up in an awkward conversation that sounds like you are telling them what you say, but they know there is a lot hanging on it. So long as you weren't a troublemaker, it was just a one-off skills issue, chances are they will write something positive.
Reply 3
Then don't mention the old job?
Reply 4
You couldn't have a 2 week gap in your history? you could of said you were on holiday or still looking for another job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending