The Student Room Group

Is it better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all?

Poll

Is it better to have loved and lost, or not loved at all...

I've heard people say its better to have loved and lost, than not have loved at all. I'm not sure I agree, i met a guy who was wonderful literally everything i looked for - cute, kind, funny, amazing in bed (ha) but it didnt work out. And now every guy in comparison just seems **** in comparison, and It makes me wish i never met the first guy cause now my standards have gone up further (being picky isnt good i know but i cant help it). And the heart ache... I wouldnt be feeling **** right now if i never met him, and its not like i would missed something i never had...

Anyway what do you think, is it better to have loved and lost and feel the heartache of losing someone you loved? Or is it better to just trod on never havibg loved so not experiencing the joys it brings, but not have to deal the pain of heartache...

x
I voted that it is better to have loved and to have lost than to have never loved at all.

I think that one has to step back and consider what the relationship really was about and what one gained from it. Do this having realised that there was never any guarantee that the relationship would last forever (and many don't). While the pain of a break up can seem overwhelming, soon it pales into insignificance as you are able to remember the good that occurred during the relationship - whether that be fond memories or, for some, an opportunity to learn a lot about oneself as well as about life in general.

When I came out of a relationship, I found myself asking the same question as you. However during the course of my relationship, I had a lot of great times. I also learned a lot of lessons which will no doubt be useful in the future. Now I see the relationship as a positive phase of my life - even though things didn't work out in the end.

Feeling upset, as you do, is perfectly normal. It will pass though and you will be able to focus on the positives.
Reply 2
I've never been in love before but I think its better than the first option
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
The only way to be sure that you never lose someone is to never love anyone. And that's not much of a life.
I think it really does depend on how the "loved and lost" bit went. For me, I'm not sure (but ask me again in 10 years time) - moving on is painful, but being in love is a very unique experience.
Definitely the first. I think never loving someone would be heartbreaking in itself. Ironically :lol:
Reply 6
:bump:
'Daddddy what does regret mean?

Well son the funny thing about regret is, its better to regret something you have done then something you haven't done.'

From the start of a Butthole Surfers song and quite true I think.
Reply 8
Better to have gone balls deep and prematurely ejaculated, than to have never felt the sweet sensation a vagina stimulates.
Well, Dumbledore thinks it is, so who am I to argue?
Reply 10
according to tommy lee jones, it is not better to have loved and lost.
Reply 11
Yes of course. :pierre:
Reply 12
It is better to have loved her, fought for her and then lost her than not love her at all or to not even attempt anything with her, that is the worst option in my opinion, to have loved but not even bothered to see if something could work.
Original post by Krack
It is better to have loved her, fought for her and then lost her than not love her at all or to not even attempt anything with her, that is the worst option in my opinion, to have loved but not even bothered to see if something could work.

:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending