The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Natural Sciences 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've only done biology and chemistry before but astrony and geology interest me :smile: the physics is scaring me a little! Chemistry I don't really mind either way but I love biology. I think exploring science will be a great place to start as we will get introduced to sciences we have never dealt with before.

I may just have to invest in those book then, get a head start over the summer :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
*astronomy bloody phone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Haha you don't have to tell me about autocorrect! I live astronomy and physics, chemistry is ok but not a biology fan and I've never even looked at geology lol I just can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I'm currently at college doing business & accounts but it is boring the life out of me! Each to their own but I find these to be common sense and I need something to get my teeth into, something to work my brain. I will miss the essay/writing part though which I can't see there being much of in science.

My interest lies in biology/health science but I think the is a high chance of me changing my mind after doing some other science subjects :yes: things I haven't done before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lee1710
I bought them from amazon and they we're not too expensive so I took full advantage of that! Also, congratulations on your new born!

They are really interesting, I'm currently reading through book 7 Quarks to Quasars as that has a lot of my major interests (astronomy) and as expected it is full of mind blowing articles! I'd definitely recommend this!

This is the one I'm thinking about getting as quantum physics is something I'm really interested in along with The Right Chemistry cause this will give me a head start as i know nothing about chemistry but it's something I'm really interested in.

Astrophysics is the way i want to go so I'm looking forward to Life in the Universe and Energy and Light.

Biology is what I'm least interested in so the book Life is making me nervous :afraid:
Reply 25
I understand, I absolutely love quantum physics it's a hard choice between the physics pathway and the astronomy one but I think I'm leaning to astronomy. Chemistry is a strong point for me as is physics so if you ever need a hand ill try to help out :smile: I also hate biology but hopefully it'll be ok!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww that's sweet :smile:

It's nice that we can all help each other out.
Reply 27
Original post by louise6427
Aww that's sweet :smile:

It's nice that we can all help each other out.

Exactly! Thats what i hope we can all do :smile:
I just got that maths for science book i was talking about.

It's from OU study book but it's double the size of the module book so it's got a lot more in, i would recommend it to anyone who's worried about the math side of things.
Reply 29
I just got that maths for science book i was talking about.

It's from OU study book but it's double the size of the module book so it's got a lot more in, i would recommend it to anyone who's worried about the math side of things.

Mines came yesterday too, along with The sciences good study guide :smile: not really had a chance to look at them yet, just a quick skim through but they look like they will be of help!

I was surprised by the size of the maths for science book, looking forward to reading through it to see what I can remember from school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
This book sounds very interesting! Where did you guys get it from? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the one I've got from amazon :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Science-Sally-Jordan/dp/0199644969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365420219&sr=8-1&keywords=Maths+for+science

There seems to be everything in it for learning maths in science for undergraduate level and starts off simple then gets harder as you go through the book.
Reply 32
This is the one I've got from amazon :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Science-Sally-Jordan/dp/0199644969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365420219&sr=8-1&keywords=Maths+for+science

There seems to be everything in it for learning maths in science for undergraduate level and starts off simple then gets harder as you go through the book.

Thanks Louise! I'll be buying this ASAP! I was going to tell you guys too that the quarks to quasars book I'm reading so far for s104 is AMAZING!
Reply 33
I'm starting the earth sciences pathway in Oct. Can't wait!!
Hey everyone, I'm starting the biology pathway in October this year.
Its nice to see other people who are doing the same course. I'm doing maths openings now and there isn't anyone to talk to about it, only the community on student home but you don't really get anyone on there - not when I've looked anway.
Hi all!! Thinking of going biology pathway. How are you all?
Reply 37
Original post by Sunnyfunny2011
Hi all!! Thinking of going biology pathway. How are you all?

Hi! I'm well how are you? Biology has always been my least favourite science probably because I'm rubbish at it!

Are you looking forward to starting?

Lee
Original post by lee1710
Hi! I'm well how are you? Biology has always been my least favourite science probably because I'm rubbish at it!

Are you looking forward to starting?

Lee

And I love it! It's the only subject I got good grades in school lol! I'm looking forward to it. Which pathway are you starting?
To anyone who has the maths for science book, are you finding any bits hard? I'm finding the rearranging equations in chapter 5 a bit difficult, espicially as you move through the chapter.

Quick Reply

Latest