The Student Room Group

People shouting stuff out of car windows at you when you're walking

Does this happen to anyone else? Seems to happen at least once a day for me. I never catch what they're saying either I'm guessing it's mostly negative from the way they're yelling. But I'm not in their way, I'm just walking on the pavement.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's happened to me once before, but like you, I never heard what they were saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Happened to me and my fiancé before. We were sat on a pavement waiting to be picked up and some chavvy looking person in a white Audi drove past shouting "homeless tw*ts" at us. People are horrible lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had an array of things shouted at me. When I was 14 I was walking the dog and these louts drove up from behind and one of them shouted "two dogs walking at once eh!!".

Then I've had people say "nice tits" and "oi oi darling" and stuff like that.

Other times I can't make out what they're saying.

:dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Its happened to me a few times. Its usually just drunken neds (chavs I think you call them in England) shouting "GINGER!". As if I didn't already know my hair colour?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Notice how they're all in cars? If they didn't have a way to make such a speedy exit, i doubt any of them would have said what they did.
Happens a lot when I'm walking about in central London, my home, and it's annoying! Perhaps I ought to change my dress sense?
Reply 7
Plenty of times, no idea what they say though...
Yes, while walking with my grandma some bell ends decided to shout something out the window as well as throwing a glass bottle at us, luckily the bent ****s missed.
Reply 9
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I've had an array of things shouted at me. When I was 14 I was walking the dog and these louts drove up from behind and one of them shouted "two dogs walking at once eh!!".

Then I've had people say "nice tits" and "nice legs" and "oi oi darling" and stuff like that.

LADS! :teehee:

:rofl: in a :facepalm2: way

Were you offended at the time?
I used to do quite a bit of hiking with the scouts and as you can imagine we got quite alot :lol: I know it seems horrible but there's nothing you can do or say back so just try and take it as a bit of humour rather than a malicious act because there;s not much you can do about it really :smile:
I get it when I'm busking. Sometimes it's just people shouting "Eyyy" or something equally stupid, I've also had someone drive past and call me a dirty hobo... I'm sitting on the streets of a beautiful seaside town, clean clothes, just playing summery songs as people walk past, I look as far removed from a "Hobo" as possible :facepalm2: then again, as a busker you get a lot of dirty looks and mutterings anyway.. the nice people more than make up for it :h:
Original post by Ripper-Roo
LADS! :teehee:

:rofl: in a :facepalm2: way

Were you offended at the time?

Very... I think I even cried. I was a very sensitive 14 year old :/
It happened a lot to me when I was walking to school down a certain road when I was around 12-15. I would wear huge hoodies to try and avoid over sexual comments always yelled out of car windows- it wasn't because I looked particularly attractive, it was usually middle aged men driving to work who knew I was uncomfortable with it and thought it was funny to see me scurry away absolutely terrified from them down the road. Whereas that kind of thing would make me roll my eyes and walk quicker now, back when I was a kid I was always scared one of them might slow down and pull me into the car. I was small for my age and completely defenseless.

People can be ****ing cruel sometimes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Quite a few times recently a car's beeped at me and I've seen a passenger make obscene hand gestures at me (I'm male btw). It might have been people I know, but when I haven't got my glasses on I've got I've got no way of telling... I've either got some really friendly mates or I just look like a nob
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nutella:3
Does this happen to anyone else? Seems to happen at least once a day for me. I never catch what they're saying either I'm guessing it's mostly negative from the way they're yelling. But I'm not in their way, I'm just walking on the pavement.:confused:

Oh I'd ignore them. ie: today, I was building up speed. I must have been doing say 60, nearly 65 in the left lane and there was a car in the "fast" lane, doing about the same and not once did they indicate to my side.

Then a woman shouts shouting (I think) and swearing through the window. I got the message that she wanted to go in to my lane, so I slowed down, and then they sped off doing something above the speed limit. I saw them move in to the other lane, and back a few times. Not once did they indicate.

If they indicated, I would have flashed them in....
Had someone call me a bus ****er once, the idiot then drove onto the pavement out of panic and got his car stuck. He was literally squealing his sorry's when I throttled him through the window though, thing is his car was so **** I'd rather take the bus anyway
Reply 17
lol i find it funny tbh, because if it wernt for the fact they were in a car and could zoom away they'd be too scared to say anything to your face, its a shame i never seem to have any hefty bricks near me whenever they try haha
I've had a few dirty old men shouting things out the window before.
Reply 19
I hate this, along with being beeped at. It makes me want to go out in leggings all the time even in the height of summer ^_^
Might try walking round in a karate gi and see what happens then...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending