The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Kafuffle
Awh, that's a shame, although I'll stay on this thread nonetheless. Who knows, one day again maybe! :biggrin: Ill get some pics tomorrow and put them on, although its just like every other Daytona lol! Its a 2006 Yellow edition one. :smile: Do love it to bits though! :biggrin: Wanna get an Arrow Exhaust for it soon though.

Nop, I'm only 19 going on 20 in October. I only have Third party on it though as its the only one I can afford. Its 1.3k for Third, but then it suddenly shoots up for both Fire and Theft and Fully comp to 9.8k! :O So no real choice but to go for the third party lol.

Ouch! Well f4ll3n and i need to go to scotland at some point rather than in a foot of snow, so you never know we might turn up!
Original post by SillyEddy
I thought DAS was from 19 up to the restricted-access licence?

I'm still questioning if it's worth the money to get a bike licence. For CBT, lessons, test, etc, it seems to be close to a grand. It would be nice if my car licence was worth more than a bit of plastic towards getting a bike. Surely more bikers = makes it safer for all bikers?

Original post by Maccees
The instructor I spoke to said they didn't do anything until you were 24...maybe he meant just that school and not everyone haha

DAS is the test where you do it on a bigger bike and don't need to have the restriction. you need to be 24 for this

You can do a restricted test at 19 though
Reply 182
Original post by Maccees
Was going to break the chinese bike I have but someone offered me £350 for it so I thought bugger it, can't be bothered breaking it and listing it so it's now sold.

I've asked a similar question before but can everyone give me an idea of what they pay/paid for lessons? Place local to me is £30p/h for a 125 and £35p/h for a £400, no idea id that is ok or not? Surprises me though considering my car lessons where £18p/h.

I know this probably aint near you but this is the company I used and were great. The prices on their website which can give you a better idea.
http://www.1stclassmotorcycletraining.co.uk/Main.html

Bare in mind though that the laws have completely been redone for motorbiking licensing since January 2013, so you may need to update your knowledge on it. It now takes longer before you can drive bigger bikes at a young age rather than just being able to jump on a restricted bike. I haven't looked at them myself as the old laws still apply to me but its worthwhile checking what's been changed.
Reply 183
I know this probably aint near you but this is the company I used and were great. The prices on their website which can give you a better idea.
http://www.1stclassmotorcycletraining.co.uk/Main.html

Bare in mind though that the laws have completely been redone for motorbiking licensing since January 2013, so you may need to update your knowledge on it. It now takes longer before you can drive bigger bikes at a young age rather than just being able to jump on a restricted bike. I haven't looked at them myself as the old laws still apply to me but its worthwhile checking what's been changed.

I sort of understand the new laws, what's confusing me though is if you are 21, you can do an A license test but have to ride an A2 bike for two years? Or is that completely wrong?
Reply 184
Bike fixed and retrieved from the train station at last :smile:
Awh, that's a shame, although I'll stay on this thread nonetheless. Who knows, one day again maybe! :biggrin: Ill get some pics tomorrow and put them on, although its just like every other Daytona lol! Its a 2006 Yellow edition one. :smile: Do love it to bits though! :biggrin: Wanna get an Arrow Exhaust for it soon though.

Nop, I'm only 19 going on 20 in October. I only have Third party on it though as its the only one I can afford. Its 1.3k for Third, but then it suddenly shoots up for both Fire and Theft and Fully comp to 9.8k! :O So no real choice but to go for the third party lol.

Ha okay :/

I'm looking forward to the day I can be insured on my dad's mille tbh. Is the daytona restricted atm?

Although I think my SV is fast enough for now tbh, and besides I can make any bike fly through the corners with my epic riding skill!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Silkysam
Bike fixed and retrieved from the train station at last :smile:

Awesome work. I ended up with mine stuck at the gym for a week once when Batterry died.
Reply 187
Original post by Maccees
I sort of understand the new laws, what's confusing me though is if you are 21, you can do an A license test but have to ride an A2 bike for two years? Or is that completely wrong?

It is 33bhp for 2 years on a full A2 license at that age but I don't know now if the laws have changed that. I think they have. i think you now cant buy a big bike at all and restrict it, but thats only what i've heard so don't hold me to that. :P

Original post by Imperial_Maniac
Ha okay :/

I'm looking forward to the day I can be insured on my dad's mille tbh. Is the daytona restricted atm?

Although I think my SV is fast enough for now tbh, and besides I can make any bike fly through the corners with my epic riding skill

Yea, its got this tiny piece of metal in it by the throttle cable near the cylinders in the engine that stops the throttle from turning the whole way back. Not the nicest thing but hey-ho, it lets me ride it!

Original post by Motorbiker
Awesome work. I ended up with mine stuck at the gym for a week once when Batterry died.

When I first read that I thought you said YOU were stuck at the gym all week lol!
It is 33bhp for 2 years on a full A2 license at that age but I don't know now if the laws have changed that. I think they have. i think you now cant buy a big bike at all and restrict it, but thats only what i've heard so don't hold me to that. :P

Yea, its got this tiny piece of metal in it by the throttle cable near the cylinders in the engine that stops the throttle from turning the whole way back. Not the nicest thing but hey-ho, it lets me ride it!

When I first read that I thought you said YOU were stuck at the gym all week lol!

If you check in the op it details the new rules on tests etc.

Think it's 15 hp at 19 then 46 at 21 but if you check it is detailed there.

And being stuck at the gym for a whole week would be fun. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Coulda just carried it home and practised your deadlift

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
OK I know it has been a while - but the next installment of the Pyrenees has just been posted. Less than 2 weeks ago, this shows all the routes we have planned for the entire trip :smile:

http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/only-2-weeks-to-go-until-pyrenees-trip.html
Hi guys, I have a 50cc scooter (don't worry, I'm not a chav), I've been having a few problems with acceleration/speed, I've already changed the clutch and the drive belt, but yet my acceleration is still extremely slow top end speed is not too bad averages about 32/35 mph can do 40 at a push, I was going to buy a new set of rollers tomorrow and wanted to know would it be better to get a lighter set (3g/4g) or a heavier set (7g/8g), I've also noticed today that the exhaust seems to be blowing where the manifold attaches onto the engine, could this be causing a problem? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Reply 192
Original post by Bathwiggle
i don't think we have any scottish any more, we did have one once, lantana is nearly scotland (newcastle) but other than that i don't think so.

Any pics of your bike?

And i've been after a 675 for years :sad:

Finally got round to getting a picture while I remembered. Probably shoulda done it in the day but oh well ^.^

IMG_3285.jpg
Original post by DuckDuckGoose
Hi guys, I have a 50cc scooter (don't worry, I'm not a chav), I've been having a few problems with acceleration/speed, I've already changed the clutch and the drive belt, but yet my acceleration is still extremely slow top end speed is not too bad averages about 32/35 mph can do 40 at a push, I was going to buy a new set of rollers tomorrow and wanted to know would it be better to get a lighter set (3g/4g) or a heavier set (7g/8g), I've also noticed today that the exhaust seems to be blowing where the manifold attaches onto the engine, could this be causing a problem? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

its a 50cc bike...
typically they make about 3bhp, and are lmited to 30mph anyway (the legal definition of a moped, and what you need to do to ride it at 16)
i doubt you could ge much more out of that engine, and you'll quickly start pouring money into it to get nowhere. in your shoes id get a 125 (assuming your not 16), then start looking at doing your test.

Finally got round to getting a picture while I remembered. Probably shoulda done it in the day but oh well ^.^

IMG_3285.jpg

i hate you so much right now.... (out of envy)

Fiddliest mother lover to remove I tell ye! Saved me £60 that the dealer wanted to do it themselves though. Couple of flat spots but now't I couldn't deal with.

Super pretty Daytona there mate! Friend of mine's just sold his '08 model to buy an SP-1 Honda (which he then binned at Llandow).

IMG_3285.jpg

Want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196

IMG_3285.jpg

I've taken a picture of my bike in the dark, too. As you can see, they look just the same and therefore you won't notice if we swap :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
Original post by LandyJon
Fiddliest mother lover to remove I tell ye! Saved me £60 that the dealer wanted to do it themselves though. Couple of flat spots but now't I couldn't deal with.

Super pretty Daytona there mate! Friend of mine's just sold his '08 model to buy an SP-1 Honda (which he then binned at Llandow).

Ouch.

I have the sv org telling me to buy this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130966078093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 whats not helping is i'm tempted
Reply 198
Lol, thanks for the compliments everyone ^.^

Although...

Original post by Juno
I've taken a picture of my bike in the dark, too. As you can see, they look just the same and therefore you won't notice if we swap :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahahah! Oh god that made me laugh. I think when I go to sit down though I may feel the lack of bike.

Original post by Bathwiggle
Ouch.

I have the sv org telling me to buy this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130966078093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 whats not helping is i'm tempted

Thats a bloody good value for a Daytona! Although is that a reserve price? I got mine for 4.2k! Id say buy-buy-buy!
Reply 199
Hahahahah! Oh god that made me laugh. I think when I go to sit down though I may feel the lack of bike.

Nah, that's just coz it's a Nightona :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending