The Student Room Group

HELP! second referee trouble

hi guys,

so yesterday i got an interview through clearing for ODP course at Huddersfield on Saturday.

all i needed was to photocopy all my qualifications and stuff and also get a second referee.

here's the problem though. I had to got to work yesterday afternoon so i didn't get the email for the second referee until got 6 (so this lost me half a day to find a referee), then because i need saturday off work, i had to work today, so i've literally had no time to find a second referee.

This person can't be family, friends, neighbors or a work colleagues so this has left me very limited.

i got a work colleague to fill the form out for me because i figured its better to have something, instead of nothing.

whats your thoughts guys? have i messed up now and missed my opportunity?

I emailed the lady in charge and explained the situation but i so stressed now. :frown: help please
Reply 1
Original post by bunnybull
hi guys,

so yesterday i got an interview through clearing for ODP course at Huddersfield on Saturday.

all i needed was to photocopy all my qualifications and stuff and also get a second referee.

here's the problem though. I had to got to work yesterday afternoon so i didn't get the email for the second referee until got 6 (so this lost me half a day to find a referee), then because i need saturday off work, i had to work today, so i've literally had no time to find a second referee.

This person can't be family, friends, neighbors or a work colleagues so this has left me very limited.

i got a work colleague to fill the form out for me because i figured its better to have something, instead of nothing.

whats your thoughts guys? have i messed up now and missed my opportunity?

I emailed the lady in charge and explained the situation but i so stressed now. :frown: help please

Do you not have any email addresses of teachers that can write a reference for you? can't you ask your manager or?
Reply 2
no, the form says 'Family members, friends of family, neighbours, work colleagues (rather than supervisors and managers) and partners are not suitable as referees.'

i'm not sure the bracket bit means but i got no time to sort it out now :'(

and not teachers. i finished my college course over 2 months ago
(edited 10 years ago)
no, the form says 'Family members, friends of family, neighbours, work colleagues (rather than supervisors and managers) and partners are not suitable as referees.'

Teachers get requests for references going back YEARS, not just 2 months. (I am one and I've written them.) Email your college.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

You need to get a supervisor or manager from work (or a college lecturer)

Do you have the details of any of these people
Reply 5
I have the details of my shop owner. but its a form i need filling in not an actual reference (well not yet at least) but like i said, the form has already be filled out and i am unable to print off another one before my interview tomorrow :frown:
I have the details of my shop owner. but its a form i need filling in not an actual reference (well not yet at least) but like i said, the form has already be filled out and i am unable to print off another one before my interview tomorrow :frown:

Well, if push comes to shove, you'll have to tell them at the interview that you will get back to them with the second referee next week, which given the very short notice, is not unreasonable.
Reply 7
Thats what i said in the email, i sent to the head of the course. do you think this will go against me at the interview?Bearing in mind, i have been at work the last to day and i only had a days notice? plus i emailed them tonight instead of leaving it till the interview?
Thats what i said in the email, i sent to the head of the course. do you think this will go against me at the interview?Bearing in mind, i have been at work the last to day and i only had a days notice? plus i emailed them tonight instead of leaving it till the interview?

I would hope they will be reasonable human beings and understand that even if you already had someone in mind, they could very well be unreachable on holiday at this time of year, but who can say? That's how I'd see it, but I'm nice.:biggrin:
Reply 9
Lol thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 10
how come you need two references?
Reply 11
I don't know, must be a Huddersfield thing lol
I don't know, must be a Huddersfield thing lol

More likely a course thing. Is ODP health based?
Reply 13
yeah it stands for operating department practitioner but its weird because on their website, on all the pages to prepare you for a nursing interview, it says you'll need a second referee but for the odp page, a second referee isn't mentions. might have something to do with clearing aswell
yeah it stands for operating department practitioner but its weird because on their website, on all the pages to prepare you for a nursing interview, it says you'll need a second referee but for the odp page, a second referee isn't mentions. might have something to do with clearing aswell

Thought that's what it was. I imagine it's a precursor to getting a crb check or something like that.

Contact your shop owner and ask him if he/she would be willing to give an oral interview over the phone if required - then let Huddersfield know that they can contact him

They would need a written reference as well but this gives them the chance to talk to him before your interview if they want to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending