The Student Room Group

Have i got my place?

Hi, i achieved grades higher than what i actually needed for my course, but i'm confused about whether i have been accepted or not.
I have been sent a letter which states that there are non-academic conditions that i must pass to be given a place on my course - Marine Biology.
Does this mean i have actually been given a place or have they rejected me?
It says that my insurance has accepted me (my insurance was at the same university, just for a different course) should my firm reject me?
Thank you for any help!

UCAS also seem to be pushing me towards adjustment - should i go for a different course? Is Marine Biology a 'soft option'?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by turnip storm
Hi, i achieved grades higher than what i actually needed for my course, but i'm confused about whether i have been accepted or not.
I have been sent a letter which states that there are non-academic conditions that i must pass to be given a place on my course - Marine Biology.
Does this mean i have actually been given a place or have they rejected me?
It says that my insurance has accepted me (my insurance was at the same university, just for a different course) should my firm reject me?
Thank you for any help!

What are the non-academic conditions
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
What are the non-academic conditions

It doesn't say yet, Track is just saying that i have to wait for the University to contact me. They said that it could be police reports, doctors reports and such?
Reply 3
Have a look at adjustment, you have nothing to lose!
Reply 4
It doesn't say yet, Track is just saying that i have to wait for the University to contact me. They said that it could be police reports, doctors reports and such?

Have you called the university

What university is it
Reply 5

Says the same thing for me, the University specifically tells you what non-academic requirements they need; that letter is a generalised letter for everyone who gets an offer. Unlikely that the University will ask for police reports unless you've had a criminal conviction in the past etc, or if you have an ongoing illness they might ask for doctors reports as proof.

But you're in. It advertises Adjustment to everyone, without filtering out whether you're eligible or not. The other Universities you'd apply to through Adjustment would judge whether they can accept you this intake. Remember, your firm would be aware of your application for adjustment, but they'd hold your place for you while you search over a five day period. Don't look if you are happy with your firm and don't want to go anywhere else, that could just confuse you, and bear in mind you'd need to sort out accomodation and student finance specific to the new university you might go to through adjustment.
Reply 6

What university is it

Its Stirling University :smile:
I think i'll wait a while; even if they don't accept me, i'm happy with my insurance - Biology.
Reply 7
Original post by Mollymod
Says the same thing for me, the University specifically tells you what non-academic requirements they need; that letter is a generalised letter for everyone who gets an offer. Unlikely that the University will ask for police reports unless you've had a criminal conviction in the past etc, or if you have an ongoing illness they might ask for doctors reports as proof.

But you're in. It advertises Adjustment to everyone, without filtering out whether you're eligible or not. The other Universities you'd apply to through Adjustment would judge whether they can accept you this intake. Remember, your firm would be aware of your application for adjustment, but they'd hold your place for you while you search over a five day period. Don't look if you are happy with your firm and don't want to go anywhere else, that could just confuse you, and bear in mind you'd need to sort out accomodation and student finance specific to the new university you might go to through adjustment.

Thank you for your help :smile:
I'm happy with my University, but some friends think that i should adjust my place to somewhere else with a 'better' name or perhaps a different course? I'm really undecided :smile:
Reply 8
I'm happy with my University, but some friends think that i should adjust my place to somewhere else with a 'better' name or perhaps a different course? I'm really undecided :smile:

Same situation as me. But you picked your firm for a reason. Have you visited it? Something about the modules, resources or atmosphere that you liked? What made it stand out instead of other choices?

Where you think you might confuse yourself or overcomplicate things, don't go for that option.

But you don't think that, because you're happy with your university. And you're the one who's going.
Reply 10
Original post by Mollymod
Same situation as me. But you picked your firm for a reason. Have you visited it? Something about the modules, resources or atmosphere that you liked? What made it stand out instead of other choices?

Where you think you might confuse yourself or overcomplicate things, don't go for that option.

I have visited and i loved it; i also chose it as it was the best University for that particular course and due to allowing a gap year abroad :smile:
I guess i'm worried about job opportunities as well.

Is marine biology viewed as a science subject?
Its Stirling University :smile:
I think i'll wait a while; even if they don't accept me, i'm happy with my insurance - Biology.

Do you need diving qualifications or similar

There does not seem to be anything on their webpage I can see
Reply 12
Do you need diving qualifications or similar

There does not seem to be anything on their webpage I can see

I wouldn't think so as when i applied, they stated that they allow students the opportunity to learn diving, so i was going to learn it there. Anyway, if that is the condition, it looks like i'm doing biology :tongue:
I wouldn't think so as when i applied, they stated that they allow students the opportunity to learn diving, so i was going to learn it there. Anyway, if that is the condition, it looks like i'm doing biology :tongue:

I guess you are still hanging on

There will be people there today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending