The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
They are both A*AA :tongue:

Original post by NedStark
I suppose they are my main choices, I'm not going with an insurances. All the other 4 will be above and a risk.

Both are A*AA and I like the look of the Bath placement year but I suppose at the end of the day it's whether I like Campus or City and I don't know how I'm meant to tell which I like. I haven't been able to visit any open days which is a shame.

Most places are A*AA for Econ, so hard to find an insurance

I know Bristol is a really fun University to go to, and they've recently done up the town centre so it's really nice now and has loads of shopping centres and that sort of thing. Not too sure about Bath, sorry
Studying economics all day everyday at Uni is going to be amazing!!
Reply 962
Original post by Alex-Torres
Studying economics all day everyday at Uni is going to be amazing!!

I'm jealous :redface:

One more year for me
Original post by Giant
I'm jealous :redface:

One more year for me

No I'm still in year 13! Just looking forward to it. :wink:
Reply 964
Original post by Alex-Torres
No I'm still in year 13! Just looking forward to it. :wink:

Ah!

In any case, A2 Economics looks a lot more interesting than the AS
Reply 965
Damn all your A*AA students for being so great :biggrin:

My new A2 maths teacher may just lead me to slamming my head on the table -.-
I suppose they are my main choices, I'm not going with any insurances. All the other 4 will be above and a risk.

Both are A*AA and I like the look of the Bath placement year but I suppose at the end of the day it's whether I like Campus or City and I don't know how I'm meant to tell which I like. I haven't been able to visit any open days which is a shame.

Sometimes Bristol give AAA offers, not really sure why though :lol:

They're 10 minutes and ~£5 away by train, location won't make a huge difference but I prefer Bristol.
Original post by tooambitious
Sometimes Bristol give AAA offers, not really sure why though :lol:

They're 10 minutes and ~£5 away by train, location won't make a huge difference but I prefer Bristol.

They make contextual offers depending on your school. I was shown this by another TSR member.

http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014/applying/contextual-offer-schools-2014.pdf

It's a list of the bottom 40% of schools so if your school is on this then you probably will get a lower offer.

But seeing as my school isn't on there, it's A*AA. :frown: I should be able to meet the offer but it's just the stress. I mean it's easier knowing you achieved an A then an A*. Holidays would be a breeze.
They make contextual offers depending on your school. I was shown this by another TSR member.

http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014/applying/contextual-offer-schools-2014.pdf

It's a list of the bottom 40% of schools so if your school is on this then you probably will get a lower offer.

But seeing as my school isn't on there, it's A*AA. :frown: I should be able to meet the offer but it's just the stress. I mean it's easier knowing you achieved an A then an A*. Holidays would be a breeze.

I'm kinda happy, I have really good teachers and my school is on that list.
I've been watching this post for ages but never posted before :smile:

I think I'm likely to get an AAA prediction (we don't find out until the end of September) (In Economics and Maths I got 177 UMS and 264 UMS respectively so I don't think I'm likely to get any A* predictions as isn't it usually 90-95% UMS required at AS to be predicted)

The only places I'm definitely going to apply to is York and Exeter

I never considered Bristol before as I thought it was too good for me, but I just saw that document someone just posted about Bristol sometimes giving lower offer if you go to the 40% lowest achieving schools and my sixth form was on there but it still seems quite a risky choice :/

Do you think I could consider applying there, giving my considerably average GCSEs (2A*s, 5 As, 3Bs)( from quite a good secondary school) and the fact that I don't do Further Maths?

Thank you :biggrin:

You must go to a pretty good school then! It's nice to see mine on the list, which means that I finally got a lower 'insurance' choice. But how do you know this for sure? What if the person has high predictions, would they still get the reduced offer?

You must go to a pretty good school then! It's nice to see mine on the list, which means that I finally got a lower 'insurance' choice. But how do you know this for sure? What if the person has high predictions, would they still get the reduced offer?

I've heard this too but the person I know who got the AAA offer went to a school in the Eton group...
Original post by tooambitious
I've heard this too but the person I know who got the AAA offer went to a school in the Eton group...

I just checked the website and contextual offer's actually AAB wow... I remember a guy in the year above got an AAB offer for Comp Sci and that's A*AA so it's probably true.

Are you sure the Etonian guy was straight econ L100? It could have been the L101, or other joint courses which are normally AAA
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Soufflegirl

I think I'm likely to get an AAA prediction (we don't find out until the end of September) (In Economics and Maths I got 177 UMS and 264 UMS respectively so I don't think I'm likely to get any A* predictions as isn't it usually 90-95% UMS required at AS to be predicted)

I never considered Bristol before as I thought it was too good for me, but I just saw that document someone just posted about Bristol sometimes giving lower offer if you go to the 40% lowest achieving schools and my sixth form was on there but it still seems quite a risky choice :/

Do you think I could consider applying there, giving my considerably average GCSEs (2A*s, 5 As, 3Bs)( from quite a good secondary school) and the fact that I don't do Further Maths?

Well 264 is still reasonable ground to get an A* prediction, a girl at my school got that score and is predicted A*, as long as your Core were good that's what matters for Maths.

With 3As I think Bristol is still worth a shot, your GCSEs are still quite good and I don't think they value Further Maths much otherwise they'd mention it. It's only 1 in 5 choices after all so you might as well :smile:
I just checked the website and contextual offer's actually AAB wow... I remember a guy in the year above got an AAB offer for Comp Sci and that's A*AA so it's probably true.

Are you sure the Etonian guy was straight econ L100? It could have been the L101, or other joint courses which are normally AAA

Definitely L100. Originally they said you'd get AAA if you did FM...
Reply 975
Original post by Soufflegirl

Go for it as one aspirational choice if you have sensible other ones and just see what happens. In my experience Bristol are very difficult to predict and they often reject a lot of oxbridge-standard applicants. What's the worst that can happen?

My secondary school is on there but not my sixth form so I don't think il get the lower offer :frown: Although they might use it to understand why my GCSEs are low :biggrin:

Although at the open day they said they also take into account if your parents went to university and neither of mine did so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

I'm not sure it's amazing. I mean last year we got 180 to University of which 53 were Russell group. No oxbridge or medics/dentists/vets though.

How's that compare to your school?

And the person that showed me this told me he had an AAB offer but was predicted A*AA. From the website though they sort of place emphasis on the word "may". So I guess even if you are on the list they don't guarantee the lower offer.
Original post by Epic Flawless
Finished my final draft but it's 47 lines and around 3900 characters. I'm debating whether to just get rid of lines between the paragraphs. Nonetheless, I paid and sent it off so that I can get the references from school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough , i'd argue not to do that because it will only negatively impact your PS :smile:
I'm not sure it's amazing. I mean last year we got 180 to University of which 53 were Russell group. No oxbridge or medics/dentists/vets though.

How's that compare to your school?

And the person that showed me this told me he had an AAB offer but was predicted A*AA. From the website though they sort of place emphasis on the word "may". So I guess even if you are on the list they don't guarantee the lower offer.

Odd my school got around 60 to russell groups and 1 of them went to cambridge and a whole lot of medics/dentistry. And my school is on the list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending