The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc Natural Sciences 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Yasmin25
Hi no I haven't made a start to the first TMA. I had a look at it the day the site opened and I can't say I am looking forward to TMAs!

I am finding both modules ok so far. I prefer S104 to S141. Maths isn't my strong point and I think that'll be my biggest downfall in the course.

How are you finding them so far? How has your motivation to study been as well? Mine dips sometimes but as long as I get the work done in time, I'm happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havn't made a start on the TMA either. Had a look at though on the day the website opened. Looked a bit daunting :lol:

I'm still on book 2 of S104, can't say i'm enjoying some elements of the book but with such a big course I guess you can't enjoy everything. I'm enjoying S141 at the moment though. Going to make a start on that mug mat experiment in the next couple days.

Not finding the maths side of it to bad at the mo, I studied A-level maths a few years back and i'm doing MST121 with OU at the mo, so if I can help in any way with the maths I will try, can't guarantee I will get it right though :tongue:

I'm feeling pretty motivated but it's early days and I don't want to burn out and end up losing my motivation halfway through the course.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 121
Original post by RHCPfan
I havn't made a start on the TMA either. Had a look at though on the day the website opened. Looked a bit daunting :lol:

I'm still on book 2 of S104, can't say i'm enjoying some elements of the book but with such a big course I guess you can't enjoy everything. I'm enjoying S141 at the moment though. Going to make a start on that mug mat experiment in the next couple days.

Not finding the maths side of it to bad at the mo, I studied A-level maths a few years back and i'm doing MST121 with OU at the mo, so if I can help in any way with the maths I will try, can't guarantee I will get it right though :tongue:

I'm feeling pretty motivated but it's early days and I don't want to burn out and end up losing my motivation halfway through the course.

The highest level of maths I have is intermediate 2, don't know what the English equivalent of that will be. I'll remember your offer to help with maths when if you can :tongue:

I haven't read up on the mug coaster experiment yet. In fact, I haven't done much revision or anything course related in the last week or so. I need to give myself a good kick up the backside.
Reply 122
The highest level of maths I have is intermediate 2, don't know what the English equivalent of that will be. I'll remember your offer to help with maths when if you can :tongue:

I haven't read up on the mug coaster experiment yet. In fact, I haven't done much revision or anything course related in the last week or so. I need to give myself a good kick up the backside.

Well if I can help, i'll try :smile: Don't know what intermediate 2 is in England.

I've havn't started the mug mat experiment yet, just read up about it. Been trying to finish off book 2 of S104, getting there slowly :lol: Done quite a bit of MST121 though.
Reply 123
Original post by RHCPfan
Well if I can help, i'll try :smile: Don't know what intermediate 2 is in England.

I've havn't started the mug mat experiment yet, just read up about it. Been trying to finish off book 2 of S104, getting there slowly :lol: Done quite a bit of MST121 though.

I am seriously considering changing my pathway from biology to astronomy and planetary sciences but heard that you need to have a good grasp of maths first and have to do MST121 as well as S104 and S141 at level 1 before you can move on so if I do decide to change, I'm gonna have to do an extra maths course. Decisions, decisions lol.

I take it you are on that pathway or are you on the physics one? Probably already asked you and forgotten already though :tongue:

Do you have your tutorial dates yet? Mine start in Glasgow on the 19th October
You have to do level 2/3 maths too when studying planetary science.... Good luck with that :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
I now have a private maths tutor that I see twice a week now, unrelated to uni. Hopefully that is one step in the right direction.
I am seriously considering changing my pathway from biology to astronomy and planetary sciences but heard that you need to have a good grasp of maths first and have to do MST121 as well as S104 and S141 at level 1 before you can move on so if I do decide to change, I'm gonna have to do an extra maths course. Decisions, decisions lol.

I take it you are on that pathway or are you on the physics one? Probably already asked you and forgotten already though :tongue:

I'm in my last year with biology and chemistry now, if you want I can send you some PDFs that you will study if you go down the biology route... So fascinating

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Yeah ok. I will have a nosey at them Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128

Have you tried taking the MST121 quiz on the mathschoices website?

I'm just studying a certificate of higher education at the moment, so just on a standard pathway.

Got my first tutorial in Liverpool on 26th Oct but I can't make that which is a bit of a pain.
I plan on starting my Degree in February 2014, taking the Astronomy and Planetary Science pathway.

Is there any advice or information you guys could give me?

Many Thanks!

Rob
Reply 130
Hi how is everyone finding S104 and S141? (and/or any other modules you might be doing)
Reply 131
Hi how is everyone finding S104 and S141? (and/or any other modules you might be doing)

Enjoying them all so far! On book 3 for S104 now.

Had my first OU live tutorial last week for S141, the tutor seems very helpful, as do the ones for my other modules. Got my first tutorial for MST121 this week.

How are you getting on?

Edit - How are you getting on with TMA01 for S104? I've just got to finish the last question now.
Reply 132
Original post by RHCPfan
Enjoying them all so far! On book 3 for S104 now.

Had my first OU live tutorial last week for S141, the tutor seems very helpful, as do the ones for my other modules. Got my first tutorial for MST121 this week.

How are you getting on?

Edit - How are you getting on with TMA01 for S104? I've just got to finish the last question now.

I'm getting on ok so far. I have had a look at TMA01 for S104 but haven't started it yet. From what I have read, part 2 looks the easiest part of it!

I missed my first online tutorial last week for S141 so tonight will be my first. I didn't know that there is a particular amount and quality of posts that you have to post in the tutor group forum for that module and I got an email from my tutor asking if I had quit because I never posted anything. Good thing she informed me that you have to post before the course went any further because you get a pass or fail on the quality and quantity of your posts in that forum which adds to your overall grade for S141.

I'm not finding S141 too enjoyable atm but the good stuff will be coming up in S104 soon! I am at the end of book 2 for S104 and I really enjoyed the space stuff. Not overly looking forward to book 3 but it has to be done! :tongue:
Reply 133
I'm getting on ok so far. I have had a look at TMA01 for S104 but haven't started it yet. From what I have read, part 2 looks the easiest part of it!

I missed my first online tutorial last week for S141 so tonight will be my first. I didn't know that there is a particular amount and quality of posts that you have to post in the tutor group forum for that module and I got an email from my tutor asking if I had quit because I never posted anything. Good thing she informed me that you have to post before the course went any further because you get a pass or fail on the quality and quantity of your posts in that forum which adds to your overall grade for S141.

I'm not finding S141 too enjoyable atm but the good stuff will be coming up in S104 soon! I am at the end of book 2 for S104 and I really enjoyed the space stuff. Not overly looking forward to book 3 but it has to be done! :tongue:

Initially when I looked at the TMA I was like :eek: but when I sat down and had a proper look it was less daunting.

My tutor for S141 said that if she feels we're lacking in the tutor group discussions she will give us a warning email but apparently last year ( I think) she did say someone did very well in the TMA's but failed because of lack of taking part in the discussions.

I've always enjoyed certain aspects of learning about the weather (have watching Twister to thank for that :lol:) so enjoying S141.

Like you I really enjoyed learning about the space stuff in book 2. On youtube you should search for a programme called, how the universe works, they've got full epis on there and it's interesting.

I'm not finding book 3 bad so far and I think it does explain things quite well if you're maths isn't great so you never know, you might end up enjoying it :smile: I take it you're also looking forward to the chemistry and biology books then?
Reply 134
Original post by RHCPfan
Initially when I looked at the TMA I was like :eek: but when I sat down and had a proper look it was less daunting.

My tutor for S141 said that if she feels we're lacking in the tutor group discussions she will give us a warning email but apparently last year ( I think) she did say someone did very well in the TMA's but failed because of lack of taking part in the discussions.

I've always enjoyed certain aspects of learning about the weather (have watching Twister to thank for that :lol:) so enjoying S141.

Like you I really enjoyed learning about the space stuff in book 2. On youtube you should search for a programme called, how the universe works, they've got full epis on there and it's interesting.

I'm not finding book 3 bad so far and I think it does explain things quite well if you're maths isn't great so you never know, you might end up enjoying it :smile: I take it you're also looking forward to the chemistry and biology books then?

Hey hows your studying going? :smile:
Reply 135
Hey hows your studying going? :smile:

Hiya,

Going well so far thanks. Was away on holiday last week so took a week out from it so been a bit hard getting back into to it even though I though I left all the modules at a good point but i'm back into it now.

Sent off the first S104 TMA the other day, so fingers crossed for that! How did you find that one in the end? I've made a start on TMA02 but on first glance I don't think it's written very clear in parts but that may be due to me looking at it after a weeks holiday.

Got an S141 OU live tutorial later, finding that course and MST121 are also going well at the moment.

How's your studying going? Are you enjoying it?
Reply 136
Hi everyone. I'm really enjoying S104 and I can't believe how close it is until the actual end exam! Yes, it may still be a few months away but they months are gonna fly by.

I originally started on the biology pathway and then switched to astronomy. Lately I have been thinking I wont be able to deal with the maths and physics at the level required for astronomy though I have been doing surprisingly well so far in both subjects, I just feel as though it wont be good enough for astronomy and I'm thinking about going back to biology. I am good at biology and have several courses and years worth of study related to biology so I may go back to it. I spoke to the learner services team and they said I have up until June to make my decision final. Ah decisions, decisions!
Reply 137
And...that's me switched back to the biology pathway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
I'm doing natural sciences, going down the health/biology route. Just a quick question I would really like to supplement my studies by doing a volunteer role for perhaps one day a work in something Lab or science based. Is anyone doing anything similar or have any ideas of what I could do?

Currently studying s397 and infectious disease
Hi! Cheeky pop in to ask - would anyone be able to send me the s104 PDFs please? I've enrolled to start September and think I really need to start my reading! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest