The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NedStark
Got acknowledged by all five. I'm hoping for Bristol to reply soon since they've given a lot of offers to TSR members already, meaning they are quite speedy with this. Just keep checking your email regularly, about twice a day since you get a lot of emails for the next week.

I'm starting to regret not applying for Maths+Econ instead of straight Economics. It's just those damn STEP papers that put me off it. If I get into the really mathematical economics courses that I've applied for, it should be fine but I dunno....just have to see how things pan out.

ahh sound , yeah same ive not applied to Bristol but i hope i get some offers quickly ( York im looking at you!! ) haha yeah definitely , every UCAS email that comes in im gonna be having a mini-heart attack thinking its a rejection :tongue:
They haven't mentioned "strong enough" to me. If they haven't asked for UMS then our AS grades are the same. Meaning it's the GCSE grades that's holding me back. :frown:

I'm sure they're still considering you; they probably just haven't sent you the questionnare yet. I'm sure it can't be GCSEs in any case; someone in my school who applied for pure Econ there who doesn't even have AS further maths, has lower predictions than you, has a worse UMS average than you and also has 8A*s at GCSE got the UMS questionnaire and the 'strong enough' email.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fas
ahh awesome ! yeah definitely :smile: Economics at UCL, Durham, Bath, Nottingham and York :smile: how about you ?

Cool :biggrin: and UCL, LSE, Warwick and Nottingham.
Original post by Epic Flawless
I'm sure they're still considering you; they probably just haven't sent you the questionnare yet. I'm sure it can't be GCSEs in any case; someone in my school who applied for pure Econ there who doesn't even have AS further maths, has lower predictions than you, has a worse UMS average than you and also has 8A*s at GCSE got the UMS questionnaire and the 'strong enough' email.

How long after the 2 week reply did they ask for your UMS?
Original post by Lunch_Box
How long after the 2 week reply did they ask for your UMS?

Well, they sent the email for my UMS 15 minutes before I received the email about reviewing my academic qualifications and the 2 week response, which is quite bizarre.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just got another email from LSE, an encouraging sign!

Dear "Epic Flawless"

I am writing to provide you with a further update on your application to LSE.

I am happy to tell you that your application is strong enough to be considered further by the Admissions Selector for the BSc in Economics programme.

The Selector will be making further academic assessments on your qualifications and personal statement, and will be considering your application in competition with other candidates in your cohort.

This can take up to five weeks. I will be in touch at the end of this process to let you know what happens next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What day did you send your application may I ask?
Reply 1506
Between 5-8 A* 4A 1B. I did some qualification that apparently counts for 3A*. I don't think it does but my head of year assures me they do. I guess she would know more than I do about Uni applications so I'm taking her word for it.

I really hope they do count, I mean I was staying behind at school till 6PM for weeks to meet the deadlines and I even got mugged one night. It would be annoying if it was disregarded.

Which qualification is that?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
What day did you send your application may I ask?

Sure, I sent my application on the 8th of October, which was last Tuesday, and LSE sent for my UMS on the 14th, which was this Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
God I feel like the odd one out. Still haven't sent my application off yet XD.
Original post by Chloe_P
Which qualification is that?

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/dida/about/Pages/default.aspx

It's the CiDA+ thing, so that's apparently 'equivalent' to 3A*. That's what my IT teachers bragged about, but avoided telling us it was near enough useless.
Reply 1510
Hey guys, can I know what is this "strong enough" emails about? I haven't received any of those. Does that mean that they're not considering me? :frown:
Reply 1511
Well, they sent the email for my UMS 15 minutes before I received the email about reviewing my academic qualifications and the 2 week response, which is quite bizarre.

Did you not declare your UMS? If I declared them, does that mean they won't email me asking for it?
Reply 1512
After much delay, my Application is officially sent off :smile:

Southampton/Exeter/Holloway/Reading/Surrey !
Original post by L1000
Did you not declare your UMS? If I declared them, does that mean they won't email me asking for it?

That might be possible; I didn't declare them on my UCAS form.
just registered my account on the UCL Portal , ****s getting serious now haha - anyone else got this paranoid feeling in the back of their mind that theyve got some bit of their application wrong ? thats been on my mind massively since sending it off !
Original post by Fas
just registered my account on the UCL Portal , ****s getting serious now haha - anyone else got this paranoid feeling in the back of their mind that theyve got some bit of their application wrong ? thats been on my mind massively since sending it off !

I was worried for the first 24 hours after sending mine off, but I'm just distracting myself at the moment with TSA papers, homework and TV
Do you think it will be to risky to apply for Surrey (AAB), Royal Holloway (AAB), Queen Mary (AAB), City (360 points) and Reading (ABB) with predicted grades ABB?
Well, Applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bristol and Bath on roughly the 1st of october. I received an offer from Bristol after 1 week and an offer off Bath after 2 weeks. I know that LSE will tell me mid november and that i'll need an interview for cambridge (Pembroke College). However, I have no idea about UCL... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(By the way, I applied for straight economics for all of them)
Original post by PierreIsNotMyName
Well, Applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bristol and Bath on roughly the 1st of october. I received an offer from Bristol after 1 week and an offer off Bath after 2 weeks. I know that LSE will tell me mid november and that i'll need an interview for cambridge (Pembroke College). However, I have no idea about UCL... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(By the way, I applied for straight economics for all of them)

Which one would you choose out of Bristol or Bath? :smile:

Original post by Fas

That was hell to sign up for. It wouldn't accept the same email that I applied to UCAS with. After an hour of trying, it's got absolutely nothing of use on it. Oh UCL....they do like to joke about.
Which one would you choose out of Bristol or Bath? :smile:

That is a very good question. I'm not entirely sure at the moment because Bath has a really course but i really like Bristol as well. I decided i'm going to just be grateful for the moment and only make that decision if i have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending