The Student Room Group

Contraception in USA

How much does it cost in New York, New Jersey, Stamford in Connecticut? Where can you get it the cheapest and easily from?

It seems that health stuff costs a lot in USA and contraception isn't free. My medical insurance won't cover hardly anything. So should I get an implant on my arm before leaving to go there for a year, from the UK?
Reply 1
Implants don't suit everyone medically.

Why not get prescrip for the Pill ( and use condoms for backup ) ?
Reply 2
Original post by riv
Implants don't suit everyone medically.

Why not get prescrip for the Pill ( and use condoms for backup ) ?

OK. Both have to be taken though, pills and condoms. I'll have to remember to take the pill daily though at the same times, how many days does it have to be taken for? What if someone has sex one day then shortly afterwards again, then how long would they have to take pills for?
Discuss possibilities with your GP, they'll explain what's possible.
Reply 4
It is really bad that contraception isn't free there, this news article made me feel sick http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/18/foetus-found-teenage-girl-bag-manhattan-shop
Reply 5
well everyone on the Pill has to remember to take it at the same time each day - it's no more difficult than remembering to brush your teeth in the morning - in fact have it next to your toothpaste and pop it after brushing yr teeth and job is sorted.

You only take one Pill a day, no matter how many times you have sex ( or don't have sex - you still have to take the pill ).

The advantage of getting it prescribed now is you start taking it to see if you don't have any adverse side effects - if all goes well maybe your GP will prescribe several months' supply so you don't have to buy in US.

No method of contraception is 100% foolproof which is why it's a good idea ( I think ) to use condoms as well as the Pill - plus the protection against STDs.

Original post by Anonymous
OK. Both have to be taken though, pills and condoms. I'll have to remember to take the pill daily though at the same times, how many days does it have to be taken for? What if someone has sex one day then shortly afterwards again, then how long would they have to take pills for?
Reply 6
Original post by riv
well everyone on the Pill has to remember to take it at the same time each day - it's no more difficult than remembering to brush your teeth in the morning - in fact have it next to your toothpaste and pop it after brushing yr teeth and job is sorted.

You only take one Pill a day, no matter how many times you have sex ( or don't have sex - you still have to take the pill ).

The advantage of getting it prescribed now is you start taking it to see if you don't have any adverse side effects - if all goes well maybe your GP will prescribe several months' supply so you don't have to buy in US.

No method of contraception is 100% foolproof which is why it's a good idea ( I think ) to use condoms as well as the Pill - plus the protection against STDs.

GP here can give that many for free??

I'm a virgin but want to be in a relationship which'd probably mean sex soon after arriving there. Unless a whole year without sex when in relationship, wondering if that's possible?
wat
Reply 8
Well at the mo you are in UK ( when are you going to US ? ) so at least get started asap on the Pill to see if it suits you / get the right sort for you etc..

See how many months supply the GP will let you have.

At least if you have the prescrip. you can just go to the pharmacy in US, not have to go to a Dr for the prescrip..
[ Big saving ].

And no, no male is going to be yr bf for a year without wanting to get his trousers off ( and anyway would u even want that ? doesn't sound like it. )

I'm a virgin but want to be in a relationship which'd probably mean sex soon after arriving there. Unless a whole year without sex when in relationship, wondering if that's possible?
Reply 9

:lol: OP is optimistic... and a little thirsty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending