The Student Room Group

I have lost faith in 'Love'

Scroll to see replies

You say you've only split up with her recently and you're obviously not over her yet.

Don't worry, you'll get over her eventually and then you'll find it so much easier to find someone else. You sound like you're still going on dates and stuff so it's not like you're struggling to meet people, it's just that you're not over your ex.

You really are young, there's no need to give up.
Reply 21
Original post by lizlaz350
You say you've only split up with her recently and you're obviously not over her yet.

Don't worry, you'll get over her eventually and then you'll find it so much easier to find someone else. You sound like you're still going on dates and stuff so it's not like you're struggling to meet people, it's just that you're not over your ex.

You really are young, there's no need to give up.

Yeah I feel like I need to get over her quickly but it's really hard. I do go out on dates but I feel really guilty afterwards if the girl likes me but I don't like her back. :frown:
I'm just like the OP. I just can't afford to bare my heart out and leave it open just for someone to trample on. So in any future relationship I have, I make sure I'm not easily swayed by semantics and keep an appropriate distance, easier said than done but if I make an effort to do it, I'm sure I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Personally, I'm not sure if I believe in love myself. I think about it chemically.. and right now, you sound entirely chemically infatuated with this girl. Chemical infatuation wears off, however; as strong as it may feel. Like everybody else on this thread seems to have said, give it time; feelings fade and feelings grow. It's just part of life.
Reply 24
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I'm just like the OP. I just can't afford to bare my heart out and leave it open just for someone to trample on. So in any future relationship I have, I make sure I'm not easily swayed by semantics and keep an appropriate distance, easier said than done but if I make an effort to do it, I'm sure I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree with keeping a appropriate distance but wouldn't that just take the gloss and fun out of the relationship?
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I agree with keeping a appropriate distance but wouldn't that just take the gloss and fun out of the relationship?

Glossy and fun relationships never really last anyway, that sounds like a teenage relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Glossy and fun relationships never really last anyway, that sounds like a teenage relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because I am a teenager, I don't know what older adult relationships are like.
That's because I am a teenager, I don't know what older adult relationships are like.

I'm only 18 too but I have spent enough time around adult couples to see that adult relationships are far from 'glossy and fun' and this is where my caution when it comes to relationships stems from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I'm only 18 too but I have spent enough time around adult couples to see that adult relationships are far from 'glossy and fun' and this is where my caution when it comes to relationships stems from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, so what are adult relationships like?
Oh right, so what are adult relationships like?

There are many different types of relationships, I can't possibly describe any sort of general one but its much less based on semantics but more on trust and compromise. I would agree though that adult relationships are more and more like teenage ones these days, bearing in mind the amount of divorces these days with people not bothering to work things out and just giving up easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I feel like I need to get over her quickly but it's really hard. I do go out on dates but I feel really guilty afterwards if the girl likes me but I don't like her back. :frown:

It takes time. Breaking up is always a horrible experience and you may feel that you need to get over her quickly, but focusing on relationships will make the experience slower. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, the best thing for you to do is focus on yourself, concentrate on studies or get a new hobby if you feel like you're sat inside feeling depressed about it all the time. Time is the only thing that'll cure it.
I fell in love with a girl and she was my first love and I was blinded so much that I thought we were going to be together forever. Recently we broke up and I honestly believe that it is impossible for me to love anyone again. I may like a girl, go out and have sex etc but I just can't love her, like if she dumps me I honestly am not worried about it. I feel like I have become a weird freak who doesn't want emotions in his relationship because I don't want to put myself in pain again. Can anyone suggest a solution to this, will I ever find love again?

happens to everyone :frown:
You're 18, not 42.
Reply 33
You see the path where you can not be hurt in such a way again right? . . . by never allowing yourself to love someone again (so that they have no opportunity to hurt you). Decide if you want to be afraid of love forever and then you'll have your answer.

Good luck kiddo.
Reply 34
Original post by Capn cas
You see the path where you can not be hurt in such a way again right? . . . by never allowing yourself to love someone again (so that they have no opportunity to hurt you). Decide if you want to be afraid of love forever and then you'll have your answer.

Good luck kiddo.

I do want to love someone else, and I do want to fall in love again but I agree it will take time but I have little patience at the moment. In every girl I see her, I just really hate the emotional sides of relationships now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending