The Student Room Group

What to tell my manager so that I can take the day off for another interview/training

I work in a big chain superstore weekdays in the mornings, 6am-11am/12pm, depending on the workload for the day. I'm on like a temp basis till christmas, and then they decide whether to keep m eon or what.

So, obviously it's going well and you don't want to take days off etc but next week I need a day off as I've been called in for an interview/training day else where. As it starts at 9am I can't get into work.

Do I just tell my manager that I have an interview so i need the day off, or will that be seen negatively? What can I tell him?

Bearing in mind I worked half a shift (but I came in an hour earlier) on friday last week, due to a hospital appointment.

I could do a shift swap, but the guy I'd have to ask isn't so easygoing :/

Any ideas please?
Reply 1
tell them you have another hospital appoint.
Don't tell them the reason why - if they know you're trying to leave it's a recipe for disaster (they could cut your shifts and basically sideline you, even if you don't leave). Make up some excuse and try to be as flexible as possible - talk to your manager asap to make the most chance of getting the time off. Alternatively, see if you can rearrange the interview you have.
Reply 3
Original post by JustMee :)

As it starts at 9am I can't get into work. You can get to work as you start at 6, you mean you can't get to the interview.

Do I just tell my manager that I have an interview so i need the day off, or will that be seen negatively? What can I tell him?
You can tell him you have an interview, it might look bad and you can say anything that sounds believable.

Any ideas please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
See if you can change the time of the interview. If not, then I would swap the shift with the other guy, maybe make it up to him by doing a shift he doesn't want to do or something? I personally would ask him instead of the manager because you don't really want to get into his bad books for slacking off due to a load of doctors appointments.

At the same time, you're only a temp there ,so a couple of appointments, will that really hurt?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending