The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's a good place to start, as there isn't such a thing as an adjustment list, unlike the clearing list, but there's no harm in calling others on spec as well.

Okay great. I'd just look on the day in clearing then and see what was there and try getting in contact.
I found out today by contacting UCAS, if I get rejected from one of the higher universities, I can't go to them through adjustment. So annoying! :mad::mad:
Original post by SirVeillance
Okay great. I'd just look on the day in clearing then and see what was there and try getting in contact.
I found out today by contacting UCAS, if I get rejected from one of the higher universities, I can't go to them through adjustment. So annoying! :mad::mad:

Take a year out and apply with grades in hand.
Reply 42
Take a year out and apply with grades in hand.

I'd rather go through adjustment if I could.. just saves wasting a year. If worst came to worst, that's what I'd do too.
I'd rather go through adjustment if I could.. just saves wasting a year. If worst came to worst, that's what I'd do too.

Well, the important thing is that there are still quite a few options open.
Reply 44
Well, the important thing is that there are still quite a few options open.

I guess so! Do universities sort of look down on people who have already got say AAB or AAA, but have taken a year out? :frown:
I guess so! Do universities sort of look down on people who have already got say AAB or AAA, but have taken a year out? :frown:

Why on earth would they do that?
Reply 46
Why on earth would they do that?

No idea. I've heard it as one of these many university rumours you hear that because you've been out of education for a year they don't like it. But if you have good grades and theyre actually to hand, not predicted, I'd have thought they'd like it even more?
No idea. I've heard it as one of these many university rumours you hear that because you've been out of education for a year they don't like it. But if you have good grades and theyre actually to hand, not predicted, I'd have thought they'd like it even more?

People with very little experience of these things tend to get the wrong end of the stick. Don't listen to anyone who can't be in a position to know the truth of this. People go to university at all sorts of ages and after all sorts of breaks in education for all manner of reasons. Admissions tutors are sensible human beings and they take each case on its merits. Maths tutors can be a bit sniffy if they think you've got a bit rusty, but other than that, what's not to like about a known quantity with a bit more life experience than the average straight-from-sixth-form applicant who may not have put as much thought into the application as someone who's had to make more of an effort to apply?
Reply 48
People with very little experience of these things tend to get the wrong end of the stick. Don't listen to anyone who can't be in a position to know the truth of this. People go to university at all sorts of ages and after all sorts of breaks in education for all manner of reasons. Admissions tutors are sensible human beings and they take each case on its merits. Maths tutors can be a bit sniffy if they think you've got a bit rusty, but other than that, what's not to like about a known quantity with a bit more life experience than the average straight-from-sixth-form applicant who may not have put as much thought into the application as someone who's had to make more of an effort to apply?

I guess so! I'm going for Engineering, so I don't know how they view it. Surely if I'm doing something related to the subject in that year out then they'd like it?
I guess so! I'm going for Engineering, so I don't know how they view it. Surely if I'm doing something related to the subject in that year out then they'd like it?

Of course they would.

This is only really true for maths courses, where some evidence does suggest skills are quickly forgotten. It's a good idea to try and do something productive on your gap year, but even this is not essential. Oxbridge will accept people through this route, so I don't see why another university would have a problem with it.

You also have the advantage of getting unconditional offers, so no stressful wait until results day and not having to worry about putting in a couple of insurances choice. You can target 5 choices which ask for the grades you have in hand.
Reply 51
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
This is only really true for maths courses, where some evidence does suggest skills are quickly forgotten. It's a good idea to try and do something productive on your gap year, but even this is not essential. Oxbridge will accept people through this route, so I don't see why another university would have a problem with it.

You also have the advantage of getting unconditional offers, so no stressful wait until results day and not having to worry about putting in a couple of insurances choice. You can target 5 choices which ask for the grades you have in hand.

Okay thanks! I won't worry too much then :smile: thanks for all the help!
Reply 52
What were your predicted grades too may I ask? Sorry for being nosy haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for English (so very different but still competitive) - my predicted grades were ABB for English Language, Biology and Chemistry (+A in Critical Thinking )
:smile:
Reply 53
Original post by harrym96
I applied for English (so very different but still competitive) - my predicted grades were ABB for English Language, Biology and Chemistry (+A in Critical Thinking )
:smile:

I can imagine English is pretty competitive. Well done on your offers! I need ABB for Lancaster which is only 1 grade off my predictions, but Newcastle is 2 off at AAB and it is very competitive so I highly doubt I'll get in at Newcastle.
Thanks for the info :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by ActusReus
what course and uni was this if u don't mind me asking? :smile:

History at the University of Liverpool
Reply 55
I got BBC and I am applying for mostly AAB courses!!! Most people get predicted a grade up! So really you should get a prediction of AAB. Deffo should fight to get those predictions up if it is going to give you a better chance at getting an offer and just work hard for the grades... You don't need your teacher to tell you if you can achieve those grades or not. It is really up to you! :smile:
If you have contextual data/migitating circumstances to support you then it is good to highlight that in your reference. It really depends on the uni as well. Some Unis straight up reject those who don't meet the conditional offer, depending on the competitiveness of the course and where you are applying to, but the typical offer is really just the typical offer and if you have a great reference and personal statement, I don't see why they won't consider you. Hope that helps
Reply 56
I've looked into adjustment aswell, but I don't know how many people get in there as it is a new system. Also, you can't apply to places you have been rejected from through adjustment.
I also looked as there were some good places for my course in clearing. On results day if I happened to get AAB but my only offer was BBB, I can opt to go through clearing but the university I have my offer from has to agree to release me, which is probably very unlikely...

I didn't know about this :frown: where did you hear that from?
I thought as long as you got the grades you could apply for any course that is available regardless of whether you've applied before.
Reply 57
Original post by Rlove95
I thought as long as you got the grades you could apply for any course that is available regardless of whether you've applied before.

I phoned UCAS yesterday and that's what they told me :frown: I was gutted.
They said that if you applied and were rejected you can't go there...
Reply 58
Original post by Rlove95

The lady from UCAS must have got the wrong end of the stick.
Just found this in an articile from The Telegraph:;
''Approach universities that didn’t offer you a placeIt’s possible that universities that didn’t offer you a place first time round may well reconsider your application if you do better than expected. Jo Heywood, Head of Heathfield School in Ascot, suggests approaching a university that has already interviewed you, but which didn’t give you an offer because of your grade predictions.
“They may remember you from an interview, especially if you performed well,” she says. “They could be willing to review your application and offer you a place with your higher grades.”
Reply 59
Hey everyone!
Just to let you all know I got an offer from Leeds today for AAA despite being predicted BBB! Big jump I know, I couldn't believe it!
Ignore all the people who are overly pessimistic and go for it. I honestly didn't think I'd get an offer, but there we go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending