The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by BlossomS
It is conservative and tough, in my opinion. But there's been a lot of changes and new rules (our dear Michael Gove :rolleyes:) which have obscured the main reason for there being examinations in the first place. I haven't a clue what our education system is trying to achieve right now. Don't get me wrong, the UK system is tough (especially A levels) but it's going through a rocky phase.
Interesting. How do you guys maintain fairness then? You friend in another school, studying the same subject, may have sat a different test (content-wise), how do you know if their one was easier? Harder? Or whether there were more explanation/analytical/problem solving questions?
Well, if you meant oral marks as in marks for speaking, then that only appears if a student is studying a foreign language, then yes, we do.

I'm not criticising you :wink: Just wanna see how real British students think of their ed system :wink: So the stereotype is obviously true :biggrin:
One advantage of the individual exams is that teachers know exactly what they've taught their students, but you're right, it's pretty unfair and intransparent though.
We get oral grades for all subjects/courses (and they make up to at least 50% of the final grade) Students, who are excellent in exams but never talk are f*cked ^^
Reply 821
Original post by Hanover
I'm not criticising you :wink: Just wanna see how real British students think of their ed system :wink: So the stereotype is obviously true :biggrin:
One advantage of the individual exams is that teachers know exactly what they've taught their students, but you're right, it's pretty unfair and intransparent though.
We get oral grades for all subjects/courses (and they make up to at least 50% of the final grade) Students, who are excellent in exams but never talk are f*cked ^^

Haha don't worry! Our education system annoys me most of the time :rolleyes:
That really is an advantage but unfair too :redface: but I wonder, is there a perfect education system?? It's pretty hard to strike a balance between standards and fairness.
Are you a non talker then? :tongue: Is there a specific exam for oral? Or is it just based on how you talk and discuss in class, then your teachers gives you marks accordingly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 822
I have tried logging into track 5 times already and only sent my application a few minutes ago. x.x

Hoping to get on the Child Nursing course at Southampton Uni. Will be either rejections or unconditionals as I've already got a Psychology degree.

Dreading the admissions tests.
Reply 823
Haha don't worry! Our education system annoys me most of the time :rolleyes:
That really is an advantage but unfair too :redface: but I wonder, is there a perfect education system?? It's pretty hard to strike a balance between standards and fairness.
Are you a non talker then? :tongue: Is there a specific exam for oral? Or is it just based on how you talk and discuss in class, then your teachers gives you marks accordingly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't have oreal exams, the grades are based on your activity in class, your answers, your contribution to class etc..It's not onl about quantity.
I speak a lot, alsways slightly better than my exams^^
If I completely failed my exam, I still have the oral marks as backup :biggrin:
You don't :tongue:
Reply 824
I have received my track access!

That was quick.
Reply 825
Original post by Ciri
I have received my track access!

That was quick.

I thought you can track with your ID ?
Reply 826
Congrats to all getting offers. I'm actually stressing so much though, people are receiving offers and my form group haven't even sent our UCAS applications off yet!!
Got an email today from Cambridge School of Arts acknowledging my application; papped myself, I thought it was an offer!

Lets all try and relax, stop refreshing track and have a hot beverage :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 828
4 acknowledgment emails and have been waiting for decisions for four days... they have been the longest of my life ._. hope it doesn't take much longer to get at least one offer :s-smilie:
Had my applications sent off on Wednesday, universities are 'considering my application' and I am addicted to Track, I check it at least three times a day...I don't know what I'm gonna do when it goes offline for three days! I WANT MY REPLIES SOOOOON!
:s-smilie:
Reply 830
Original post by Hanover
I thought you can track with your ID ?

It wouldn't log me in at first, had an email come through.

This is the second time I used ucas, I applied for another course in 2009 and the track system has changed so much.

Before, it was just a chart (like on the email/letter) with your choices and "Pending, Conditional, Unconditional, Rejection". Very easy to use. I am not sure if I like it yet. I'll probably like it less and less over time because of the waiting.
Reply 831
Original post by Ciri
It wouldn't log me in at first, had an email come through.

This is the second time I used ucas, I applied for another course in 2009 and the track system has changed so much.

Before, it was just a chart (like on the email/letter) with your choices and "Pending, Conditional, Unconditional, Rejection". Very easy to use. I am not sure if I like it yet. I'll probably like it less and less over time because of the waiting.

Well, I start tracking immediately after sending off my application and it somehow works..:smile:
Reply 832
Been 3 weeks since I sent my ucas application to college. College/Tutor still hasn't approved the application. :frown:

I am really worried that whoever is in charge of writing my references and sending the completed application to ucas
will leave things until its late and then rush to finish the references. :mad:
I sent mine on Wednesday, and have received offers from Roehampton, London Met and Westminster. Still to hear from Middlesex and Royal Holloway.
Reply 834
Original post by Hanover
Well, I start tracking immediately after sending off my application and it somehow works..:smile:

I think I know what happened. :smile: Since I applied for UCAS before, I already had a personal id with them, if this happens your id number will change from the one you can see on apply to the old one from last time you applied. That's what they mean by "your id number could change".
Reply 835
Original post by Hanover
We don't have oreal exams, the grades are based on your activity in class, your answers, your contribution to class etc..It's not onl about quantity.
I speak a lot, alsways slightly better than my exams^^
If I completely failed my exam, I still have the oral marks as backup :biggrin:
You don't :tongue:

Haha well, when you put it that way, I feel slightly envious :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 836
Haha well, when you put it that way, I feel slightly envious :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so any good news for you yet? :biggrin:
UCAS track is supposed to be unavailable until Monday, I think I'm dying >:frown:
Got an e-mail from UCAS saying the status of one of my applications has changed and that it is probably an offer or rejection. Of course when I go to check track is under maintenance. So I have to wait till Monday... gonna be a long weekend :frown:
Original post by Jamie.12345:
Got an e-mail from UCAS saying the status of one of my applications has changed and that it is probably an offer or rejection. Of course when I go to check track is under maintenance. So I have to wait till Monday... gonna be a long weekend :frown:

Ouch..I do not envy you. Now I'm glad I didn't get any responses today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamie.12345:

Can't you log into your email and check through that way?
Do offers come through your email as well or is it just track because that's a sneaky way around the maintenance :hehe:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending