The Student Room Group

How did you tell you parents about your first girlfriend (or boyfriend)?

I don't want answers from the people who were womanising from the tender age of 4 years old, i'm looking for people who didn't really have much involvement in girls until their teens.

I would like you to say how you told them and how they reacted. I can't imagine ever telling my parents because my Dad is a little bit of a pervert because he always asks about girls. (Do you work with any girls, what was that girl like that was in your group of friends the other day?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've only had one boyfriend and I am still with him. We were friends before we started going out so my mum knew him quite well and saw the chemistry between us and when she found out we were finally going out, all she really said was "well its about bloody time!". It was his family that had a problem with the relationship. I just told her out straight "btw Callan asked me out!" all bouncy and giggly.

His dad is strict and didn't like the idea of his eldest son having a taste of freedom and wanting a life for himself rather than going down the road his dad set out for him. But many years on, his dad has accepted it and we all get along (most of the time)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want answers from the people who were womanising from the tender age of 4 years old, i'm looking for people who didn't really have much involvement in girls until their teens.

I would like you to say how you told them and how they reacted. I can't imagine ever telling my parents because my Dad is a little bit of a pervert because he always asks about girls. (Do you work with any girls, what was that girl like that was in your group of friends the other day?)

Personally I didn't tell my parents nor did my boyfriend tell his. To be honest we were really young (14) but our parents found out eventually and because of religious differences, his family still to this day haven't accepted me :frown: it's been 4 long happy years though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was 17 when I got my first boyfriend. I was nervous because my parents get quite funny about stuff like that, my dad's very strict. I just told them I was going to cinema with *insert name* and she asked if he was a friend and I said no he's my boyfriend actually. And that was that.
haha, was quite funny actually! We were having afternoon tea at Harrods so they couldn't flip out or anything, (not saying you have to go there, but pick a good time/place if you need to!) My parents had no idea who he was or anything, so was quite a long chat! But I had to start from the beginning, explain how we met, then individual meet ups etc, obviously didn't go into too much detail, but I think they took it better because I explained everything and at the end of the day, they're your parents and you're almost an adult (maybe?!) so be confident and honestly it'll be a lot easier than you think. :smile:

first time my parents found out about my girlfriend was when we got caught doing the dirty on their bed
Reply 6
I just told them straight out that I had a boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd been hanging around with him, they'd asked me if he was my boyfriend (he wasn't at the time) and I denied, and then about a week after he was my boyfriend they asked again when I was talking about him and I said yes. Parents just know stuff. :tongue:
Reply 8
I was at Uni at the time, Mum on facebook, she found out when it was "facebook official".

brung them over to my house a lot, it was fairly obvious they were my bf i didn't need to specifically tell them
Reply 10
Haven't told my parents. Don't really want all the hassle of the who, why's and when's when I've got other stuff going on.
Reply 11

I never told mine until some years had gone by as they would have gone mad due to her race, religion, class and education level.

The first time I told them something about her was over the phone I told them I went on a school trip and met one Swedish girl who had terrible dress sense, told them even took a picture with her, they thought I was crazy and was wasting film. Obviously they had no idea :smile:

I finally told them when I graduated from uni and introduced everyone :smile:
My ex's dad rang my parents up to inform them that he'd found me defiling his daughter in her car close to their house.
That was pleasant. :biggrin:
Who's that text from? *name* Who's that? Girlfriend. Oh!

Much better than with my current girlfriend. It was the first time we properly saw each other when we were together and I got a text from my mother halfway through the evening saying one of her friends had seen me with a girl and she hoped I was having fun:tongue:
I was on the phone to my dad once and he asked what I was doing that evening and I said I had a date, apart from him asking me how it'd gone the next day he didn't really ask anything else. I think it was a couple of weeks later when it was pretty clear we were heading towards a proper relationship that I said anything about having a boyfriend.
Reply 15
'I'm going out with [person] now'
Reply 16
They found out when it was put on Facebook :P Didn't have to explain stuff or anything thankfully! That was last year when I was 16. No longer with the guy though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interpretive dance.
My mum met my boyfriend at the same time I did and I tell her everything so she knew about every email, text message and date from the very beginning.

My dad, on the other hand, doesn't live with us so I had to actually sit down and tell him. To be honest, I don't remember exactly how I told him that I had a boyfriend because the tricky part of the conversation (which I had planned and rehearsed) was letting him know that his 17 year old daughter was dating a 30 year old!

Luckily, though, I have a sensible, relaxed mother and, frankly, I didn't care what my dad thought!
Original post by abhiksetia
My ex's dad rang my parents up to inform them that he'd found me defiling his daughter in her car close to their house.
That was pleasant. :biggrin:

Did your parents say anything to you lol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending