The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pro Crastination
Economics and International economics at Nottingham (Bsc) or Economics (Bsc) at York? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would pick Economics and International Economics at Nottingham, you would probably have an okay chance of changing to L100 if you wanted to and Nottingham has a better reputation for Economics
Economics and International economics at Nottingham (Bsc) or Economics (Bsc) at York? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally Nottingham. The social life is apparently very good and they have a stronger Econ department imo.
Original post by Jkizer
I might go to surreys as im almost 98% sure it will be one of my choices.

What date have you picked? I should maybe book one before it all fills up!
(I've known about it for a while, its just that i've been in a lazy state!)

I picked the 5th of feb! But i lost like the timetable and i forgot where to find it :colondollar:
Reply 2723
Original post by blazekid75
I picked the 5th of feb! But i lost like the timetable and i forgot where to find it :colondollar:

Probably the most likely for me too! I gotta go check the trains then >:frown:
Original post by Jkizer
Probably the most likely for me too! I gotta go check the trains then >:frown:

Maybe we'll see each other then?
Ah i need to ask my dad to drop me off or I have to take a train too
Reply 2725
Original post by blazekid75
Maybe we'll see each other then?
Ah i need to ask my dad to drop me off or I have to take a train too

Maybe we will :smile: Theres a lot of people going!

Mhmm ill ask parents for a lift, otherwise pay the whackked up £45 ticket -.-
Unconditional from Birmingham or AAA if insurance, want UCL but might be my firm if I don't get an offer from them
(edited 10 years ago)
Has anybody else got an offer of AAA rather than A*AA from Nottingham?
What do you guys think about the fact that Nottingham/Bristol are far away from London and can therefore limit your links/ contacts/ work experience within the finance industry! Any ideas? I am slightly worried
Original post by RebelV005
What do you guys think about the fact that Nottingham/Bristol are far away from London and can therefore limit your links/ contacts/ work experience within the finance industry! Any ideas? I am slightly worried

It won't make that much of a difference. Bristol is a top uni for econs
Reply 2730
To reply to both of your posts, I received the AAA offer yday and everything I've heard from notts seems only good. The problem is job prospects as I've also got an offer from UCL which could be better for future jobs. Any suggestions?
Original post by NewtoTSR
To reply to both of your posts, I received the AAA offer yday and everything I've heard from notts seems only good. The problem is job prospects as I've also got an offer from UCL which could be better for future jobs. Any suggestions?

Are you an international student?
Because they only offer AAA to International students.

And considering London vs Nottingham, London obviously has a huge benefit for obvious reasons. I have also applied to UCL, but waiting for a reply :frown:.

UCL will undoubtedly be my first choice mainly because of its location
Well I'm just sat here trying to comprehend why I'm only in the "maybe" pile for Nottingham L100 when Bath, arguably as good/slightly better gave me an offer a couple of days after receiving my application.

It's frustrating because if I received an AAA offer from them (as a few on here have), I'd be able to have a really good insurance lined up (in case I missed the A*).

Confused. I know I sound big headed but I have a PS with a ton of relevant EC, strong preds (A*A*A) and AS grades, a relevant EPQ + additional FM AS this summer. I chose Nottingham (for one reason) because I thought I stood a fairly good chance of receiving an offer to firm with if Bath didn't want me.

Ugh. At least I haven't definitely been rejected yet. I was really hoping on something to insure with, though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

how do you know you're on the maybe pile?

however i think im in the same situation as you bud - i got an offer from Bath only a couple of weeks after they got my application, and Nottingham still haven't said anything to me yet haha - they gave one of my mates an offer for Economics yesterday and his application was definitely worse than mine haha
Are you an international student?
Because they only offer AAA to International students.

And considering London vs Nottingham, London obviously has a huge benefit for obvious reasons. I have also applied to UCL, but waiting for a reply :frown:.

UCL will undoubtedly be my first choice mainly because of its location

your probably correct, but could you direct me to where you saw that? just want to clarify for myself is all.

Im hoping i get an AAA offer from Nottingham, it would be the perfect insurance to have.
Original post by Fas
your probably correct, but could you direct me to where you saw that? just want to clarify for myself is all.

Im hoping i get an AAA offer from Nottingham, it would be the perfect insurance to have.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/economics/ba-bsc-economics.aspx

Look under entry criteria-> International

cheers, i don't think that means only international students will get AAA offers. They will, but i think some Home students will get AAA offers too. well i hope thats the case anyway haha
Original post by Fas
how do you know you're on the maybe pile?

however i think im in the same situation as you bud - i got an offer from Bath only a couple of weeks after they got my application, and Nottingham still haven't said anything to me yet haha - they gave one of my mates an offer for Economics yesterday and his application was definitely worse than mine haha

I'm emailing back and forth with their admissions tutor at the moment. Two weeks until a final decision, apparently.
And I swear I have seen a few home students being offered AAA for Nottingham...
Reply 2738
Original post by LeBron96
I'm in the same situation as you haha! I've got the same offers as you, and I hope to go down the finance route post-university (possibly IB). What are your thoughts on reputation/careers services/networking opportunities for York and Notts?

Aha awesome, first person with same applications as me.

To be honest, overall, Nottingham just edges it on reputation for me. However I wonder whether the fact that its in the business school instead of the Economics department takes that advantage away somewhat. They're both very close on the league tables, and will both be very decent universities. If I could switch to straight econ when I arrived, I would take Nottingham I think, however I'm not sure whether that would be possible or not, so for that reason I'm inclined (at the moment) to pick York, as it would offer more flexibility in the modules each year.

What grades have you got? (AS/Predicted?)
Reply 2739
Emailed UCL and they said they do not require my UMS? I did not put them down in UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending