The Student Room Group

Parents buying me a 2 bed flat (Me and one other friend) help?

Well, my parents want to buy me a 2 bedroom flat next year for my student accommodation and as you can see, one bedroom remains free and so, I face a small dilemma.

So, the dilemma is, if I offer my other room, would this drive a wedge between us since I can only offer one or would it be best to remain quiet about it and then just rent it out as a student room (the later option makes me feel kind of uncomfortable given I will be sharing with a total stranger...).

Help? :frown:
Turn the other bedroom into something useful? Like a gym? Or a sauna?
Reply 2
Original post by Hippysnake
Turn the other bedroom into something useful? Like a gym? Or a sauna?

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a more expensive single bedroom flat then?
Original post by Anonymous
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a more expensive single bedroom flat then?

It would. So ask your parents to buy you one then?
Reply 4
Well, my parents want to buy me a 2 bedroom flat next year for my student accommodation and as you can see, one bedroom remains free and so, I face a small dilemma.

So, the dilemma is, if I offer my other room, would this drive a wedge between us since I can only offer one or would it be best to remain quiet about it and then just rent it out as a student room (the later option makes me feel kind of uncomfortable given I will be sharing with a total stranger...).

Help? :frown:

Just openly say to your friends on FB or something, that you have a spare room, you might be assuming everyone would want the room. It might be the case no-one wants it, if they do, say that you don't want to upset people, so draw names out of a hat. It's an idea at least.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Just asked on facebook what everyone is doing for accommodation next year in general and they said they would try and stay in their current places (although, one can't because he has already stayed on campus for a year).
So, would it be inconsiderate to ask him if everyone else seems to know what they are doing?
Reply 6
By in general, I literally typed "What's everyone doing for accommodation next year?"
Turn it into an office/ study room.
Reply 8
Just asked on facebook what everyone is doing for accommodation next year in general and they said they would try and stay in their current places (although, one can't because he has already stayed on campus for a year).
So, would it be inconsiderate to ask him if everyone else seems to know what they are doing?

I don't think so, you could then ask him if he wants to stay in your spare room. If you don't fancy that, ask your friends if they know people who'd like to stay, the benefit of this is that the person might be a stranger but you have someone in common. You can only hope though that your mates have good taste in friends and don't hang around with ne'er-do-wells.
It's common practice to meet potential housemates before they move in, so if a stranger does move into your spare room it would be quite easy to test whether you'd get along beforehand. That said, I'd offer it to your friend who's got nothing sorted out for next year.
Reply 10
Surprised people are still posting on this given I made this 3 MONTHS ago.
Surprised people are still posting on this given I made this 3 MONTHS ago.

Well, how did it all pan out? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Musie Suzie
Well, how did it all pan out? :smile:

Decided on a 1 bed flat instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending