The Student Room Group

Declining an offer AFTER accepting it AFTER results day

Hi guys, new to the forums here.

Well not really new as I've mostly been an observer of these forums rather than a poster, but I have this one burning question that I haven't been able to find clearly using Google/TSR.

Here's the scenario:

I've gotten an offer from my backup university and rejected by the rest. I never really wanted to go to this university but my school forced me to have a backup. I would decline the offer, I don't mind taking a gap year, but I'm worried that in my results day I may not get the grades I'm hoping for, meaning I'll have to wait another year just to apply to universities with lower entry requirements, including the backup.

The question is, would I be able to firm this backup choice, then after results day if I get extraordinary grades (that would allow me to have a much easier time getting into universities I'd prefer to go to) would I be able to "decline" my firm choice?
Original post by DatKid

Well not really new as I've mostly been an observer of these forums rather than a poster, but I have this one burning question that I haven't been able to find clearly using Google/TSR.

Here's the scenario:

I've gotten an offer from my backup university and rejected by the rest. I never really wanted to go to this university but my school forced me to have a backup. I would decline the offer, I don't mind taking a gap year, but I'm worried that in my results day I may not get the grades I'm hoping for, meaning I'll have to wait another year just to apply to universities with lower entry requirements, including the backup.

The question is, would I be able to firm this backup choice, then after results day if I get extraordinary grades (that would allow me to have a much easier time getting into universities I'd prefer to go to) would I be able to "decline" my firm choice?

If you exceed the grades required by your firm offer then you can apply through Adjustment to any uni you like for a week, while still retaining your firm. If you find somewhere 'better' you can go there; if you don't then you can go to your firm, or decline it and apply again to wherever you want next year.
Reply 2
They come to your house and kidnap you. It it not possible to escape. Resistance is futile.

Of course you can decline it and not go there! Really, what else could happen?! It's more difficult - but still possible - if you want to go elsewhere via Clearing, but if you're taking a gap year that's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Haha thanks guys! I was thinking worst case scenario I'd have to pay the tuition fee still as a penalty cus maybe i was "under contract" or something... Silly me I guess :P

Thanks again
You aren't 'under contract' until enrolment.

You have several options here ....

Firm this 1 offer and if you get higher grades in August then go into Adjustment to try for a 'better' Uni. There is no guarantee that you will be offered anything else - or that all courses will be in Adjustment. But you can hold on to your existing place while you look. Risky - you are going to have to make a very fast decision about a Uni you havn't even seen.

OR drop this offer now and apply for other Unis/courses one choice at a time via Extra. Risky. Again you could be offered nothing, or nothing better than the course you've just dropped.

OR drop out completely and reapply next year with known grades and no pressure from school. What is one year if it means you will get the course you really want?

Final 'solution' - Clearing. Best to drop your existing offer BEFORE Results Day as this means you can go straight into Clearing rather than waiting for a Uni to release you (can take days). Risky. You could get offered nothing or nothing you actually want. Very last minute - again, no chance to see the Uni/city you'll be at for 3 years.
In addition to the posts above - the thing to watch out for with both adjustment and clearing is the short timescale which leads to:

- rushed decision making
- problems arranging accommodation
- delays in getting through students loans (sometimes - some people get lucky)

If you exceed your firm offer and go into adjustment, or you decline your current offer and go into clearing (assuming you don't have anywhere else you want to apply to through extra), then this is what you need to be prepared for. It is possible to prepare, to do your research into other universities, have time and transport available on results day to visit new unis you hadn't considered (and to visit again to arrange somewhere to live) etc etc.

If you'd be thinking of going for a gap year should you exceed your current back up offer then this isn't something you need to worry overly about (although doing some research into a wider range of unis and courses never does any harm - quite often people dismiss a uni based on a complete misconception of the town/city/uni, or dismiss a course based on a misunderstanding of the content...looking beyond your initial picks can only give you more options or a more informed decision to stick with your first choices).
Original post by ageshallnot
If you exceed the grades required by your firm offer then you can apply through Adjustment to any uni you like for a week, while still retaining your firm. If you find somewhere 'better' you can go there; if you don't then you can go to your firm, or decline it and apply again to wherever you want next year.

Not all universities use adjustment, and there will not be space on all courses, so it's not true OP can apply to "any uni you like".

OP, please don't let your school pressure you into making a decision that is not in your best interests. They cannot force you to do anything, however much they might want you to take a certain course. I think your current plan sounds like a good idea- certainly it's not a good idea to reject an offer unless you are absolutely sure you won't want to go to that university.
Reply 7
What course do you plan on doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Not all universities use adjustment, and there will not be space on all courses, so it's not true OP can apply to "any uni you like".

Good point - my mistake!
Original post by ageshallnot
Good point - my mistake!

No worries. I know there's usually a lot available via adjustment, but it's not a completely unlimited choice!
Original post by DatKid

Here's the scenario:

You can even decline your firm on results day and get into a different University the same year.
Original post by adamsmithqm
You can even decline your firm on results day and get into a different University the same year.

Called 'Clearing' and it's risky - not all courses/Unis take part, you may not get anything better than you turned away, you make a decision without having even seen the Uni, and you have stress of trying to organise accom etc at the last minute. Not recommended as an application strategy.
Original post by returnmigrant
Called 'Clearing' and it's risky - not all courses/Unis take part, you may not get anything better than you turned away, you make a decision without having even seen the Uni, and you have stress of trying to organise accom etc at the last minute. Not recommended as an application strategy.

Yup it is pretty risky. It works out for some and not so much for others.
OP for what it is worth:

You don't HAVE to pick your firm/insurance until May (the first UCAS deadline for people with early offers for all their choices is May 7).

Please PLEASE don't pick early - there is nothing to be gained from picking early and you lose any option to change your mind within 7 days of putting a decision through on Track.
Reply 14
Sorry for not posting for a while haven't been able to get on TSR recently :/

Anyway Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. This has really cleared up a lot and has helped me plan early and reassure myself on what I'll do in the future.
I'll definitely wait it out until May before making a decision and will definitely try out adjustment if I feel confident with my grades. If nothing comes out of that then like you guys said I might just drop out and reapply :smile: In a sense a gap year might be the only year where you'll have all the time for yourself for a loooooooooooooooooooong time (e.g. until retirement)

Again, big thanks to all of you!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending