The Student Room Group

push pull legs routine

I've been working out for about 2 years doing full body workout 3x a week. I wan't to get serious about this now and have started to track macros & come up with a routine. I've got good definition (quite vascular) but would really like to increase size. I'm 140 pounds & 1.65 meters, 19 years old & run daily.

Monday-Legs
Tuesday-Push
Wednesday-rest (I do boxing on Wednesdays and was planning to fit this in somehow)
Thursday-pull
Friday-legs
Saturday-push
Sunday-Pull

At my gym I stick to machines and use the free barbells where you can add small weights to either side. I don't mind fetching dumbells from the weights room but its always packed so won't be able to use a bench/smith machine/squat rack. Looking to progress mainly on machines.
So far I have

Pull
Chin ups inward grip
Bicep Barbell curls
Diverging seated row machine
Bent over row barbell
Barbell deadlift

Push
Chest Press Machine
Chest fly Machine
Tricep extension Machine
Barbell shrug behind
Shoulder press machine

Legs
Leg press machine narrow
Leg Press machine wide
Calves on leg press machine
seated leg curls
Ab excersises

I've tried to keep this short, main questions are if the excersises are ok and how I could incorporate the martial arts which you could compare to circuits. I start every workout with a 10 minute sprint on the tredmill.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You have pull exercises in your push day.
No shoulder press?
Original post by illusionz

this
Reply 3
I am definitely making some assumptions here but it sounds like you'll be able to squeeze quite a bit more out of a proper compound full body routine now you're tracking macros properly.

You seen ICF 5x5?
Reply 4
No shoulder press?

Original post by Arturo Bandini
this

The two pulling exercises were the only thing I could find for shoulders.. I'll change the upright row for shoulder press thanks, but what push movements can you use for traps?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tooosh
I am definitely making some assumptions here but it sounds like you'll be able to squeeze quite a bit more out of a proper compound full body routine now you're tracking macros properly.

You seen ICF 5x5?

I believe I have seen something similar with like 3 excersises a day. Problem is the area with bench/smith machine/squat rack are always full. I go to a chain gym called pure gym. I could still do some things like row/deadlift maybe even flat bp with a step but I cant lift enough weight over my head for squat for it to be decent, also my squat form is horrible.
Don't be avoiding freeweights so much, mate. Not saying machines are bad, far from it in fact as sometimes machine exercises can help work a target muscle better than their freeweight versions. Sometimes the opposite is true though, e.g. dumbbell flyes are always going to be a better chest builder than a flye machine. Surely there's gotta be a bench free at some point?

I'm definitely not a fan of working biceps before rows - the biceps are often a weak link in rows as it is, best not worsen that by fatiguing them.

There are a ton of better exercises for the shoulders than upright rows. Take your pick.
Reply 7
Original post by WoodyMKC
Don't be avoiding freeweights so much, mate. Not saying machines are bad, far from it in fact as sometimes machine exercises can help work a target muscle better than their freeweight versions. Sometimes the opposite is true though, e.g. dumbbell flyes are always going to be a better chest builder than a flye machine. Surely there's gotta be a bench free at some point?

I'm definitely not a fan of working biceps before rows - the biceps are often a weak link in rows as it is, best not worsen that by fatiguing them.

There are a ton of better exercises for the shoulders than upright rows. Take your pick.
Thanks for the advice, I might experiment a bit and go in the morning.. dumbell flyes seem like a good way to snap stuff up
Reply 8
Original post by Lay-Z
I believe I have seen something similar with like 3 excersises a day. Problem is the area with bench/smith machine/squat rack are always full. I go to a chain gym called pure gym. I could still do some things like row/deadlift maybe even flat bp with a step but I cant lift enough weight over my head for squat for it to be decent, also my squat form is horrible.

Puregyms are 24/7 aren't they? Could you not go at a different time?

You don't need to push weights over your head to do a squat. And everyone's squat sucks to begin with but you can improve it, or are you saying you've had trouble trying to improve it?

There are 2 big programs (basically the same program..) with 3 exercises a day similar to ICF called Starting Strength and Stronglifts. ICF is more geared towards aesthetics though.
Reply 9
Original post by tooosh
Puregyms are 24/7 aren't they? Could you not go at a different time?

You don't need to push weights over your head to do a squat. And everyone's squat sucks to begin with but you can improve it, or are you saying you've had trouble trying to improve it?

There are 2 big programs (basically the same program..) with 3 exercises a day similar to ICF called Starting Strength and Stronglifts. ICF is more geared towards aesthetics though.

Ok do you know where I can find this info for ICF? Yeah they are 24/7 but I have to fit things around uni 4-8 is the worst time.
Im going to try it tomorrow and maybe update this thread with how I find it compared to what i've been doing before; basically isolation exercises.
Also three excercises means I wont have to spend 2 hrs in the gym so i'm quite optimistic
What can have you lift for each of the following:
Deadlift
Squat
Bench press
Overhead press
Bent over rows
Curls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Reps4Jesus
What can have you lift for each of the following:
Deadlift
Squat
Bench press
Overhead press
Bent over rows
Curls

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know the weights, at pure gym the weights are coloured but i'm not sure how much each colour represents. I can DL 3 oranges on each side. Squat 2 oranges on each side. Bench press im not sure but I can do about 65kg on chest press. Never done overhead press. Bent over row 2 oranges and a blue each side. Curl abotu 20kg. Sorry if that didn't make any sense, but yeah not much.
Reply 12
Original post by Lay-Z
Ok do you know where I can find this info for ICF? Yeah they are 24/7 but I have to fit things around uni 4-8 is the worst time.
Im going to try it tomorrow and maybe update this thread with how I find it compared to what i've been doing before; basically isolation exercises.
Also three excercises means I wont have to spend 2 hrs in the gym so i'm quite optimistic

Google it. ICF 5x5

Careful with that 3 exercises mentality. SS and SL have you adding weight every session and this means long rest times after a few weeks. You shouldn't really be spending more than 1hr on any program. Some hardcore people can manage 1.5-2hours doing only resistance exercises but usually with some "help" and stims.
Original post by Lay-Z
I don't know the weights, at pure gym the weights are coloured but i'm not sure how much each colour represents. I can DL 3 oranges on each side. Squat 2 oranges on each side. Bench press im not sure but I can do about 65kg on chest press. Never done overhead press. Bent over row 2 oranges and a blue each side. Curl abotu 20kg. Sorry if that didn't make any sense, but yeah not much.

You've been lifting for 2 years but have never overhead pressed? Dude...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lay-Z
dumbell flyes seem like a good way to snap stuff up

Most exercises are if you don't do them properly :lol: Just make sure you get in a good position before you start repping, "pack" your shoulders (squeeze your shoulder blades together at the back to take all the pressure off your shoulders and put it on your chest) and keep the arms bent at about a 45 degree angle throughout the whole movement.
Original post by tooosh
Google it. ICF 5x5

Careful with that 3 exercises mentality. SS and SL have you adding weight every session and this means long rest times after a few weeks. You shouldn't really be spending more than 1hr on any program. Some hardcore people can manage 1.5-2hours doing only resistance exercises but usually with some "help" and stims.

lol ICF takes me 2 hours minimum with the required rests.
Reply 16
Original post by Reps4Jesus
You've been lifting for 2 years but have never overhead pressed? Dude...

Posted from TSR Mobile

working out, not lifting. My old gym which I was at for over a year only had like 7 machines 3 tredmils and 1-10kg dumbells. It was part of a council run swimming pool and I couldn't join a proper gym because of my age. Also being 1.65 meters I didn't want to 'stunt my growth' although now I know that doesn't have an effect
Reply 17
lol ICF takes me 2 hours minimum with the required rests.

looks good, was planning to go late at night to do the routine but I won't have a spotter for bench. Will this be a problem?
Original post by Lay-Z
looks good, was planning to go late at night to do the routine but I won't have a spotter for bench. Will this be a problem?

I've never had a spotter on my bench. Have progressed well. You just have to be sensible and not attempt something you're definetely going to fail.
Original post by Lay-Z

Watch "so you think you can bench" on youtube

Never put clips on the barbell when benching, if you fail you rock the weights off one side then the other.

I bench 90kg 3 x 5 without a spotter, you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest