The Student Room Group

Should I study the course I want or one that leads to a stable career?

First of all I'm not from the UK (I know this is a UK based site but I needed advice and this seemed like a good place to get it). I'm from a developing country. I finished my A levels last June and I'm trying to figure out what to study at uni. If employment was not an issue I would get a degree in Chemistry and I would love to work in the pharmaceutical or cosmetic industry. Unfortunately where I am from, there aren't any (yes any, I'm not exaggerating) opportunities to work in these fields. I have been advised to study medicine and try to contribute to the development of my country. I would not mind becoming a doctor (I realise this is not the best attitude for a doctor to have) and I like the idea of being a doctor but it is not what I would ideally want to be doing.

So my question is what should I do? Any advise?

Scroll to see replies

Is working abroad an option?
Also, if you are in a developing country, you could always do something in oil/alternative fuels?
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
Is working abroad an option?
Also, if you are in a developing country, you could always do something in oil/alternative fuels?

At this point I'm not sure that I want to work abroad. Perhaps I would consider it as I become more mature but right now I just can't see myself working abroad. People don't seem to like immigrants and I would probably not thrive in a hostile environment. I would also like to contribute to the betterment of my own country. Having lived here for 18 years, I feel like I should contribute to the country that has given me a lot.

I am looking into renewable energy. I find that interesting as well (but not as much as Pharmaceuticals and cosmetics).
Reply 3
Bump. Help please.:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by FishLover
At this point I'm not sure that I want to work abroad. Perhaps I would consider it as I become more mature but right now I just can't see myself working abroad. People don't seem to like immigrants and I would probably not thrive in a hostile environment. I would also like to contribute to the betterment of my own country. Having lived here for 18 years, I feel like I should contribute to the country that has given me a lot.

I am looking into renewable energy. I find that interesting as well (but not as much as Pharmaceuticals and cosmetics).

I'd say go for what you want to do and work abroad and try to immigrate. Canada and USA are quite welcoming towards immigrants. UK unfortunately from my experience isn't. Have a look at my thread about rejecting a Cambridge offer in this forum.

You can always serve your country by going back and starting a business and managing that from abroad. Also you should be aware that your countries degree might not be recognised in other countries especially for regulated professions. Best of luck. I desperately want to go to UK but the procedures seem draconian to me. If you can afford it its pretty easy for an International student in Canada to immigrate and get permanent residence in Canada or USA depending on where the job offer is.
Who has advised you to study medicine? What do your parents think? Medicine would probably be a very hard road if your heart wasn't in it.
Reply 6
Original post by kluejay
I'd say go for what you want to do and work abroad and try to immigrate. Canada and USA are quite welcoming towards immigrants. UK unfortunately from my experience isn't. Have a look at my thread about rejecting a Cambridge offer in this forum.

You can always serve your country by going back and starting a business and managing that from abroad. Also you should be aware that your countries degree might not be recognised in other countries especially for regulated professions. Best of luck. I desperately want to go to UK but the procedures seem draconian to me. If you can afford it its pretty easy for an International student in Canada to immigrate and get permanent residence in Canada or USA depending on where the job offer is.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get a scholarship to study in Australia. Hopefully I'll get it and even if I don't (and I really hope I don't have to face this if) I'll try make sure I get educated at a good uni.

I like the idea of moving to Canada but not to the USA. Canadians just seem to be accepting and welcoming.

Hmm Is it really difficult to manage a business from abroad? I like that idea. I shall look into it.
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get a scholarship to study in Australia. Hopefully I'll get it and even if I don't (and I really hope I don't have to face this if) I'll try make sure I get educated at a good uni.

I like the idea of moving to Canada but not to the USA. Canadians just seem to be accepting and welcoming.

Hmm Is it really difficult to manage a business from abroad? I like that idea. I shall look into it.

I would say its possible and calls can be re routed these days and such. You'd need to visit every once in a while but that would be a good thing. Best of luck with the scholarship :smile:. I've heard Australia is easier to immigrate to as well. But you do need a Plan B in case you don't get this scholarship. If you don't mind me asking what country are you from, you can Private Message me if you want.
Reply 8
Original post by qwertyking
Who has advised you to study medicine? What do your parents think? Medicine would probably be a very hard road if your heart wasn't in it.

My parents has told me that I should study something that I'm really interested in. That's what they keep telling me to my face but I do know that they worry about the employment prospects. They have also suggested that I could move abroad to pursue what I like but I don't think they actually want me to do that. (I guess they are a bit torn as well)

Well some of my friends have told me that I should pursue medicine as it a "safe" option but like you said I don't think I can cope with 5+ years of studying something I'm not genuinely interested in. I'm not a very sociable.
person and I'd rather help people from "behind the scenes"

PS: I hope you can understand my post easily. English is not my first language.:redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Bump
Reply 10
Bump, again. Please do help.:redface:
My parents has told me that I should study something that I'm really interested in. That's what they keep telling me to my face but I do know that they worry about the employment prospects. They have also suggested that I could move abroad to pursue what I like but I don't think they actually want me to do that. (I guess they are a bit torn as well)

Well some of my friends have told me that I should pursue medicine as it a "safe" option but like you said I don't think I can cope with 5+ years of studying something I'm not genuinely interested in. I'm not a very sociable.
person and I'd rather help people from "behind the scenes"

PS: I hope you can understand my post easily. English is not my first language.:redface:

Your English is good :smile:

I don't know where you're from, but working abroad is something you should consider. Chemistry is a good degree to have and it sounds like your parents are largely supportive of whatever you want to do. I think you should do what you want to do.
First of all I'm not from the UK (I know this is a UK based site but I needed advice and this seemed like a good place to get it). I'm from a developing country. I finished my A levels last June and I'm trying to figure out what to study at uni. If employment was not an issue I would get a degree in Chemistry and I would love to work in the pharmaceutical or cosmetic industry. Unfortunately where I am from, there aren't any (yes any, I'm not exaggerating) opportunities to work in these fields. I have been advised to study medicine and try to contribute to the development of my country. I would not mind becoming a doctor (I realise this is not the best attitude for a doctor to have) and I like the idea of being a doctor but it is not what I would ideally want to be doing.

So my question is what should I do? Any advise?

My advice is that unless you find some compromise between the two, you won't find either. Medicine is both competitive and taxing, and so to even become a doctor takes a huge amount of motivation and genuine interest.

If you really want to do something, pursue it and go where the work is. If you haven't considered working abroad in pharmaceuticals or similar, now might be the time to give it some serious thought.
Reply 13
Original post by TurboCretin
My advice is that unless you find some compromise between the two, you won't find either. Medicine is both competitive and taxing, and so to even become a doctor takes a huge amount of motivation and genuine interest.

If you really want to do something, pursue it and go where the work is. If you haven't considered working abroad in pharmaceuticals or similar, now might be the time to give it some serious thought.

Thanks for replying. I guess I should start considering immigration as a real option though I would like to service my country as well. It's as you said I guess, I need to find some compromise. Can't have everything, can I?
Reply 14
Bump. I know I'm bumping a lot but I would like more advice..
Thanks for replying. I guess I should start considering immigration as a real option though I would like to service my country as well. It's as you said I guess, I need to find some compromise. Can't have everything, can I?

It sounds cliched advice to pursue what you love, but that's the thing you'll be motivated to do best at. You sound ambitious, so whatever you do it will probably be competitive and challenging. In my opinion, it's better to struggle in something you enjoy than to do it in something you don't.
Reply 16
Hehe. I'm quite ambitious. Been told by a few people that I'm unrealistically ambitious. Thanks. You make an excellent point.If I#m going to struggle to achieve something I might as well struggle to.achieve something I think is most worthy. I don#t want to look back in 10 years and regret my choices. I guess I knew I should follow my dreams even before I made this thread but I needed reassurance. Thanks for taking the time to help me. :smile:
Whaaat, go for chemistry! Chemistry is not a 'mickey mouse degree' whatsoever and definitely will create opportunities, it is more up to you to make the decision to move to where these opportunities are available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I am surprised that there are no opportunities for Chemistry where you live, it's a really strong degree to have in the UK. I'm sorry that the attitudes people can have towards immigrants are discouraging bright people like you from coming to this country... If it's any help, there are certain neighbourhoods which have large communities of a given migrant nationality, which might feel like more welcoming places to live. If you're from the Middle East, for example, you could try to move to somewhere like Bradford or Birmingham; if you're a Sikh, then Bristol has a large Sikh population. Also if you decide to study abroad, then uni campuses in pretty much any Western country are among the most diverse and tolerant places to be.

But I really would pick Chemistry over Medicine in your situation, like other people have said, I don't think a medical career is something you can flourish in if your heart's not in it.

Good luck!!
Maybe you could study Chemistry to bachelors level and then something like Civil Engineering at masters level if you cannot find work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending