The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boomshanka
You mentioned people with blue badges, therefore they have the same rights as you have.
What use is moaning about it?

you're clearly missing the point so I'm going to stop talking with you
Original post by JeremyClarkson1
you can only have a blue badge if you have difficulty with mobility

check the government pages for verifications

if they are walking freely without aid / carrying heavy bags etc

my sister has one and she is a type 1 diabetic
Original post by awe
Kick 'em out if you are sure they don't need it. Obviously be polite first - most people assume it's just fine as long as no-one is using it, but will get embarrassed and leave pretty quickly when you tell them that is your rightful spot.

We even had to kick a postman out of the disabled bay once. -_-

But - transporting someone who is, is fine. If they're waiting for the disabled person to finish inside a shop or something, that's also fine. The disabled person just had to be with you, utilising the bay, for it to be valid. It's someone using the blue badge who isn't on the photocard that is the issue but that can be easily checked out.

wow a sensible reply

thanks
you're clearly missing the point so I'm going to stop talking with you

:yeah:
Reply 24
wow a sensible reply

thanks

I'm really confused as to what people here have an issue with.

Anyone care to explain in simple woman terms why there is something wrong with asking people for whom the bay is not intended to move, when it is for you? o.o
Original post by awe

Anyone care to explain in simple woman terms why there is something wrong with asking people for whom the bay is not intended to move, when it is for you? o.o

I don't have a problem with asking people that don't need to use the spaces to move. However, the op stated that he has a problem with people with blue badges, who he doesn't think should be using the spaces. That's confusing.
Reply 26
I don't have a problem with asking people that don't need to use the spaces to move. However, the op stated that he has a problem with people with blue badges, who he doesn't think should be using the spaces. That's confusing.

Are you sure? I must have missed that/am a bit distracted to read through it all properly. Edit- ok yeah there's hints of that, not so explicit but ehh. Yes, that is different and of course a bit objectionable haha. But at the same time there is something in it, just not on a 'rights' issue. For example we need it for my close friend who is in a wheelchair. We have previously approached a disabled lift or toilet, and there's someone there who is disabled or impaired in some way, but who 'gives way' to my friend because they can be elsewhere, whereas he often can't. But it's just etiquette, we wouldn't judge anyone for not doing that when it would be valid, it's just a nice thing for them to do when it does happen.
(edited 10 years ago)

your reading comprehension needs work

let me clarify ;

there are 3 scenarios

1. no badge
2. blue badge but not using it correctly (example the badge was issued for your mum but she isn't with you/you aren't collecting her)
3. blue badge with the intended person in the vehicle / being collected

I have an issue with 1 and 2
Fat people parking in disabled spots should be punishable by death imo.
Original post by awe
Are you sure? I must have missed that/am a bit distracted to read through it all properly. Edit- ok yeah there's hints of that, not so explicit but ehh. Yes, that is different and of course a bit objectionable haha. But at the same time there is something in it, just not on a 'rights' issue. For example we need it for my close friend who is in a wheelchair. We have previously approached a disabled lift or toilet, and there's someone there who is disabled or impaired in some way, but who 'gives way' to my friend because they can be elsewhere, whereas he often can't. But it's just etiquette, we wouldn't judge anyone for not doing that when it would be valid, it's just a nice thing for them to do when it does happen.

yeah, I know what you mean :smile: sorry, I just get annoyed with people assuming that because they can't see a disability it doesn't exist. My mum had cancer, and she was in pretty much constant pain, however on the outside, looked fine. :colondollar:
your reading comprehension needs work

let me clarify ;

there are 3 scenarios

1. no badge
2. blue badge but not using it correctly (example the badge was issued for your mum but she isn't with you/you aren't collecting her)
3. blue badge with the intended person in the vehicle / being collected

I have an issue with 1 and 2

Your writing needs work. Read your op, you stated that you have an issue with blue badges.
We have a blue badge for my 10 year old brother. He has moderate-to-severe autism and dyspraxia, and to the untrained eye, no obvious mobility problems. But he needs a blue badge. Walking a fair distance from a car park to a destination is enough to get him stressed and exhausted, and if he has a meltdown in public my mum shouldn't have to drag him halfway across a car park to be able to calm him down. I agree someone with severe mobility problems should definitely get priority, and my mum uses the baby spaces if they have them instead (also have a 14 month old brother) but my point is, they don't hand out blue badges willy nilly.

If someone has one, it means they need it.

(Parking w/out a badge is another story.)
Reply 32
yeah, I know what you mean :smile: sorry, I just get annoyed with people assuming that because they can't see a disability it doesn't exist. My mum had cancer, and she was in pretty much constant pain, however on the outside, looked fine. :colondollar:

No, I definitely agree! Disability is certainly not always visible. I don't think the OP is quite suggesting that 'my blue badge is more important than yours'... there's more of a miscommunication issue here tbh.
Original post by awe

they seem to think fraud doesn't exist

in that. they think no one would display the badge fraudulently

and hence the responses are "well if they are displaying the badge it means they need it"

even Though many sources state it is a problem
Reply 34
Haven't seen anyone park in a space without a blue badge and it's not my place to judge whether or not someone is disabled enough to deserve one. My brother's girlfriend's mum has a blue badge for their family car. Her mum is her primary carer and I've been told a story or two where they've been heckled with the "you don't look disabled"/"why do you have a blue badge, what's wrong with you?" sort of thing because she suffers from fits and is a very pretty, otherwise healthy young woman. It's really tragic how quick people like you are to judge others.

Invisible disabilities are just as deserving of consideration as physical disabilities and there's no possible way you can tell just by staring at someone if they are disabled or not.
Original post by Kaeseia
Haven't seen anyone park in a space without a blue badge and it's not my place to judge whether or not someone is disabled enough to deserve one. My brother's girlfriend's mum has a blue badge for their family car. Her mum is her primary carer and I've been told a story or two where they've been heckled with the "you don't look disabled"/"why do you have a blue badge, what's wrong with you?" sort of thing because she suffers from fits and is a very pretty, otherwise healthy young woman. It's really tragic how quick people like you are to judge others.

Invisible disabilities are just as deserving of consideration as physical disabilities and there's no possible way you can tell just by staring at someone if they are disabled or not.

again, perfect example of what I mean

blue badge fraud doesn't exist ...

ok then ...
Reply 36
they seem to think fraud doesn't exist

in that. they think no one would display the badge fraudulently

and hence the responses are "well if they are displaying the badge it means they need it"

even Though many sources state it is a problem

No, that's not what has happened, they think you believe one blue badge could be 'more deserving' of a bay than the other one, and should get the bay over the other. If that isn't what you believe, just say that.

I can't believe this has become so confused, none of you are understanding what the others are meaning. P:
Reply 37
again, perfect example of what I mean

blue badge fraud doesn't exist ...

ok then ...

So you can guarantee with no uncertainty that every single time you've seen someone without physical disability use a blue badge it has been fraud??
Original post by awe
No, that's not what has happened, they think you believe one blue badge could be 'more deserving' of a bay than the other one, and should get the bay over the other. If that isn't what you believe, just say that.

I can't believe this has become so confused, none of you are understanding what the others are meaning. P:

I thought I was clear. I've tried clarifying

I have no issues with someone who needs that space and is in the car at the time displaying their badge

what I do have an issue with is someone using the badge but the intended person isn't there

clear enough for you ?
Original post by Kaeseia
So you can guarantee with no uncertainty that every single time you've seen someone without physical disability use a blue badge it has been fraud??

wow lol

I never said that or even inferred it ...

Latest

Trending

Trending