The Student Room Group

Is my mum a disgrace?

My mum was born into poverty in London. When she was 25, she moved to Yorkshire with her boyfriend (my dad) where she met an old farmer in a pub. She left her boyfriend moved into the farmer's house, who was 67. She had two of his children - I was two at the time, so they are my half brothers and are two years younger than me. He died 2 years ago of prostate cancer and left all his estate and savings to my mum, as he was a lonely man with no family of his own.

Did my mum take advantage of him? Now she met a new boyfriend who is around her age and is pregnant with his baby. Obviously she has enough money not to work and has never worked in her life, as she is a millionaire now. I just find these kinds of stories so annoying because I feel like my mum cheated in life. A lot of people say she was successful and lucky but I think she just used her looks to get money without having to work.

What's your opinion? Sure, I love being comfortably rich but when I see other women working for a mortgage and such, I feel quite saddened.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol
That IS successful, as a woman :rolleyes:

Fair play to her if she's happy.
She is a hoe fam
Original post by Viva Emptiness
That IS successful, as a woman :rolleyes:

Fair play to her if she's happy.

How is this success? I find it more like cheating than ever success.
Original post by Friendly Liberal
How is this success? I find it more like cheating than ever success.

Who cares if she "cheated"? You should be grateful she did so that you can have every advantage in life. It was her life to live as she saw fit, and now you've got yours to live as you do - whether you want to be like her or not.
Moved to Relationships
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Who cares if she "cheated"? You should be grateful she did so that you can have every advantage in life. It was her life to live as she saw fit, and now you've got yours to live as you do - whether you want to be like her or not.

Well men can't exactly find rich women as women can do men unless they are old spinsters or widows. So does every woman aim to do what my mum did with her life? Do you want to do this with your life? I don't get this type of thinking by women.... When I bring this up for conversation with my mum, she tries to change the topic like it's a big mystery or something forbidden...?
(edited 9 years ago)
I really don't see the problem at all, its not like it was a one way thing, she looked after the guy, had his kids and he got a fit younger wife out of it. You don't know that she didn't care about him :\ I don't think anyone could dupe someone for that long without feelings getting involved.
Reply 9
Life is what you make of it. So she slept with an old man and aquired his estate. What would the alternative be?

You wouldn't be rich you'd be scrounging in London, your mum would have had to work her arse off to feed you, the old man would have died alone, sexless, and the state would have aquired his wealth and dissolved it to spend on slips trips and falls claims against councils. Sorry, but who lost out?
Well men can't exactly find rich women as women can do men unless they are old spinsters or widows. So does every woman aim to do what my mum did with her life? Do you want to do this with your life? I don't get this type of thinking by women....

So...the female equivalent of the guy your mum married?
Well men can't exactly find rich women as women can do men unless they are old spinsters or widows. So does every woman aim to do what my mum did with her life? Do you want to do this with your life? I don't get this type of thinking by women....

Oh, you're a guy? Whoops.

No, I have no intention of doing that with my life. But, if I found myself with a kid, single and poor, and a rich old guy fell in my lap, I might consider it.
Reply 12
Op I ain't saying she a gold-digger or nottin' but...yknw.

Don't stress though,most people would do it if they could.
Original post by james1211
Life is what you make of it. So she slept with an old man and aquired his estate. What would the alternative be?

You wouldn't be rich you'd be scrounging in London, your mum would have had to work her arse off to feed you, the old man would have died alone, sexless, and the state would have aquired his wealth and dissolved it to spend on slips trips and falls claims against councils. Sorry, but who lost out?

Could not agree more. Seems like a very mutually beneficial relationship to me!
I'm sure she made that old guy very happy and sometimes you just have to do these things for your family.
How are you expecting us to know if she took advantage of him? either way stop worrying about such a non issue. BTW the thread title is so disrespectful, if anything you're the disgrace
Original post by redferry
I really don't see the problem at all, its not like it was a one way thing, she looked after the guy, had his kids and he got a fit younger wife out of it. You don't know that she didn't care about him :\ I don't think anyone could dupe someone for that long without feelings getting involved.

I'm shocked at how many people think in the same terms as my mum. I doubt my mum would invest her time with a 67 year old man had he not been as wealthy as he was. Also, she was 25 and he was 67... That's a huge age difference! He's old enough to be her father possibly grandfather.
I think she saw an opportunity for a better life but she left my dad for an old man. How could she have loved my dad? Clearly she is a gold digger...
You're a disgrace for referring to your mother in that manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lovingislosing
You're a disgrace for referring to your mother in that manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But she has had children with 3 different men! This is clearly a disgrace...
She certainly made the best choice for her child. We can not possibly fault her for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending