The Student Room Group

Are these good choices?

Hey, recently I had an awakening. I've decided that, if I do study at City & Islington College, I will study:
English L&L
History
Business
Politics

Instead of Creative Writing, Photography and Film Studies. I wasn't thinking straight when I chose those. I'm hoping to go into either Accounting or Investment Banking.

Scroll to see replies

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but would maths not be your best bet for going into accounting/banking?
Reply 2
Original post by neverforget88
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but would maths not be your best bet for going into accounting/banking?

Most places I've seen encourage you NOT to pick it.
Original post by DebkoX
Hey, recently I had an awakening. I've decided that, if I do study at City & Islington College, I will study:
English L&L
History
Business
Politics

Instead of Creative Writing, Photography and Film Studies. I wasn't thinking straight when I chose those. I'm hoping to go into either Accounting or Investment Banking.

Those are definitely better options than your original choices for accounting or investment banking, but to meet the requirements for a degree in one of those subjects, you're generally going to need maths, and economics/physics/further maths would also put you in very good stead. The subjects most likely to give you the best options would probably be maths, economics, history and either business/politics. If you really love English, then you could do that as your fourth AS, but best to drop that and do 3 A2s. If you dislike maths, I would reconsider the career choice, as those careers have a very heavy usage of maths. Hope this was helpful!
Original post by DebkoX

Which uni's have you looked at?
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFire17
Those are definitely better options than your original choices for accounting or investment banking, but to meet the requirements for a degree in one of those subjects, you're generally going to need maths, and economics/physics/further maths would also put you in very good stead. The subjects most likely to give you the best options would probably be maths, economics, history and either business/politics. If you really love English, then you could do that as your fourth AS, but best to drop that and do 3 A2s. If you dislike maths, I would reconsider the career choice, as those careers have a very heavy usage of maths. Hope this was helpful!

Thanks. But I can do basic maths, its just things like area I lose care for.
Original post by DebkoX

I think you've been misinformed. Maths is the most useful A level you can choose. It opens so many options at university. Every employer will be happy to see it taken to A level.
Original post by DebkoX

I've never seen an accounting course which encourages you not to pick maths. Where do you think you've seen this? Maths is always encouraged for degrees in the finance sector.

Nothing in that article states that accounting courses discourage applicants from picking maths at A-level.
Reply 10
Original post by Groundearth
Nothing in that article states that accounting courses discourage applicants from picking maths at A-level.

http://careers.icaew.com/~/media/Files/brochures-2011/Graduate_brochure_04_04_11_lores.ashx

My error. Page 14.

That says you don't need maths, not that maths is discouraged as an A-level choice.
Reply 12
That says you don't need maths, not that maths it discouraged.

.........And thats my point. I don't need maths.
Original post by DebkoX
.........And thats my point. I don't need maths.

No, your point was these people 'encourage you NOT to pick it' (maths), which is untrue.
Reply 14
No, your point was these people 'encourage you NOT to pick it' (maths), which is untrue.

Well it is in a way. It clearly shows more people come from different areas.
And you said you've never seen a course NOT needing maths. And I showed you one of many.
You might not have to pick maths to be an accountant, but you'd be working with numbers so it would give you a distinct advantage.

Have you looked into accounting/finance apprenticeships? They normally pay quite well and sometimes offer up to level 4 or 5 qualifications
Original post by DebkoX
Well it is in a way. It clearly shows more people come from different areas.
And you said you've never seen a course NOT needing maths. And I showed you one of many.

No, I didn't say that at all. I said 'I've never seen an accounting course which encourages you not to pick maths.' Encouraging not to pick maths would be something like 'Do not pick mathematics as one of your A-level choices, because it is not applicable to this course and is too complex for our needs.' It might not be needed, but is is not discouraged and there is a massive difference between those two words. Yes people come from other areas, but it does not actually tell people to not choose mathematics at A-level like you are suggesting.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you want to go to a top uni to study accountancy, (e.g. Bath), you're required to take A-level maths - check their website. Besides, if you don't like maths enough to do it at A-level, why do you want to do it as a career?
Reply 18
No, I didn't say that at all. I said 'I've never seen an accounting course which encourages you not to pick maths.' Encouraging not to pick maths would be something like 'Do not pick mathematics as one of your A-level choices, because it is not applicable to this course and is too complex for our needs.' It might not be needed, but is is not discouraged and there is a massive difference between those two words.

Either way you word it. Maths isn't essential, and its not something I want to study again anyhow. So, if they say to me 'Maths isn't needed' of course I'm not going to study Maths anymore. They seem to favour more 'artistic' degrees.
Original post by DebkoX
Either way you word it. Maths isn't essential, and its not something I want to study again anyhow. So, if they say to me 'Maths isn't needed' of course I'm not going to study Maths anymore. They seem to favour more 'artistic' degrees.

You've completely missed the point of what I was trying to say; you cannot grasp the difference between 'non-needed' and 'discouraged.' Encouraging somebody not to do something is telling them not to do it; none of your links say that at all and you're going to have to have a better grasp of vocabulary than at present if you want to be an accountant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending