The Student Room Group

My parents want me to apply for a you I that I don't want to.

I'm currently looking at Unis to study maths and my parents really want me to apply for Cardiff uni. Although Cardiff is a fantastic uni (as my sister went there) the entry requirements and prospectus of where students head off to after graduating don't really suit my capabilities. I'm a further maths student currently at college and am looking and hoping to be able to attend imperial/ucl next year as I think I can reach the grade requirements. Whether or not I can get In is a different question but my point is I don't want to apply for Cardiff as it is a uni where you don't need further maths and so I just don't think I can excel to the greatest of my capabilities. However my parents really want me to apply there even if I chose not to go if I get accepted by other Unis. So I don't really see the point. I really don't know what to do. Is it possible to tell them I applied for Cardiff when really I didn't or would they know? If I get accepted for an interview can I say I didn't? I feel really guilty but After all, they don't really mind if I don't go it's just whether or not I apply. I'd personally rather a person who really wanted to apply where to get into Cardiff rather than someone like me who doesn't.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Recky101
I'm currently looking at Unis to study maths and my parents really want me to apply for Cardiff uni. Although Cardiff is a fantastic uni (as my sister went there) the entry requirements and prospectus of where students head off to after graduating don't really suit my capabilities. I'm a further maths student currently at college and am looking and hoping to be able to attend imperial/ucl next year as I think I can reach the grade requirements. Whether or not I can get In is a different question but my point is I don't want to apply for Cardiff as it is a uni where you don't need further maths and so I just don't think I can excel to the greatest of my capabilities. However my parents really want me to apply there even if I chose not to go if I get accepted by other Unis. So I don't really see the point. I really don't know what to do. Is it possible to tell them I applied for Cardiff when really I didn't or would they know? If I get accepted for an interview can I say I didn't? I feel really guilty but After all, they don't really mind if I don't go it's just whether or not I apply. I'd personally rather a person who really wanted to apply where to get into Cardiff rather than someone like me who doesn't.

If you don't want to go, then don't apply- otherwise you'll just be wasting a space on your UCAS form that can be used for a uni that you'd actually like.
Reply 2
Original post by Rumschpringe
If you don't want to go, then don't apply- otherwise you'll just be wasting a space on your UCAS form that can be used for a uni that you'd actually like.

That's what I was thinking. But I don't know if that's possible without them knowing. Like, would there be a letter sent home with a list of all the Unis I've applied to.
That's what I was thinking. But I don't know if that's possible without them knowing. Like, would there be a letter sent home with a list of all the Unis I've applied to.

UCAS do send a letter home. What would happen if your parents find out? They can't force you to apply anywhere.
Reply 4
UCAS do send a letter home. What would happen if your parents find out? They can't force you to apply anywhere.

They wouldn't be very happy if I weren't to apply as Cardiff is my hometown. I don't really understand the logic but I don't want them to think that the reason I don't want to apply is because I want to move away from home as that's not true. I just want to get what's best for me.
They wouldn't be very happy if I weren't to apply as Cardiff is my hometown. I don't really understand the logic but I don't want them to think that the reason I don't want to apply is because I want to move away from home as that's not true. I just want to get what's best for me.

if they just "wouldn't be very happy" then I'm sure they'll get over it eventually. It depends how extreme your parents would react to it. I would sit down with them and maybe try to explain that going to Cardiff is what they want for your future, but it's not what you want. In the end, you're the one who's going to go to uni and graduate with the degree, not your parents.
Reply 6
if they just "wouldn't be very happy" then I'm sure they'll get over it eventually. It depends how extreme your parents would react to it. I would sit down with them and maybe try to explain that going to Cardiff is what they want for your future, but it's not what you want. In the end, you're the one who's going to go to uni and graduate with the degree, not your parents.

That's true. I guess I should try that instead of covering it up. At the end of the day, I'd rather not lie to them. I think they might be just afraid of the fact that if I leave I might just hook up with some dude and end up pregnant or something.
You have 5 choices of Unis, could you not spare one choice to make your parents happy? However, if you get an offer from Cardiff then your parents may push you even more to go there! But if you really really don't want to go there then yeah, don't put it down as a choice. At the end of the day its your life not theirs, you know whats best for yourself, listen to yourself. I unfortunately made the mistake of listening to my parents too much and moved schools for sixth form when I didn't want to and when I failed, it was all my fault. If you apply to where you want to go but don't get an offer there, at least it was what you wanted to do. But i'm sure you will get an offer! :smile: After failing Year 12 at the crap school my parents made me go to I trusted no one. I moved back to my old school where I wanted to stay in the first place and just finished Year 13! I got offers from all of my choices, firming Kings College London, now I have to just wait for results!! Ahhh! Lol good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by SuperFly
You have 5 choices of Unis, could you not spare one choice to make your parents happy? However, if you get an offer from Cardiff then your parents may push you even more to go there! But if you really really don't want to go there then yeah, don't put it down as a choice. At the end of the day its your life not theirs, you know whats best for yourself, listen to yourself. I unfortunately made the mistake of listening to my parents too much and moved schools for sixth form when I didn't want to and when I failed, it was all my fault. If you apply to where you want to go but don't get an offer there, at least it was what you wanted to do. But i'm sure you will get an offer! :smile: After failing Year 12 at the crap school my parents made me go to I trusted no one. I moved back to my old school where I wanted to stay in the first place and just finished Year 13! I got offers from all of my choices, firming Kings College London, now I have to just wait for results!! Ahhh! Lol good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true I do have 5 choices. What's the likelihood that they'll all reject me besides Cardiff. I guess I could just mess up the interview if I get one and still keep them happy. I'm glad you got into the Uni you wanted. You deserve it after having changed sixth forms for them. Hopefully your much happier now. I really don't want to listen to my parents and end up in the same position you were in but I'm really happy that it all worked out for you. I want to apply for kings too, seems like a really good Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's true I do have 5 choices. What's the likelihood that they'll all reject me besides Cardiff. I guess I could just mess up the interview if I get one and still keep them happy. I'm glad you got into the Uni you wanted. You deserve it after having changed sixth forms for them. Hopefully your much happier now. I really don't want to listen to my parents and end up in the same position you were in but I'm really happy that it all worked out for you. I want to apply for kings too, seems like a really good Uni.

I'm assuming you've finished Year 12? What grades do you need for your course? I think most unis put more focus on 'predicted grades'. I got AABC after my Year 12 repeat and was predicted A*AB for A2. So if you have good predicted grades and a killer personal statement it should be fine. But grades are the most important thing obviously, they do look at your AS grades too, and your A2 predictions will be made by your teacher, based on your AS grades/how hard you work in class. So as long as you have all the grade requirements it's less likely you'll be rejected straight away. I'm sure at least one out of five unis will give you a place lol! But I'd advise not to apply if you REALLY don't want to go there anyway. My brother and sister went to Surrey uni, I really didn't want to go there but I applied anyway incase I got no offers, as I had choices to spare, I got an offer but didn't use it in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Calm down and breathe.
Also I believe Imperial ask for MAT, if I were you I'd start practicing over the summer.
Reply 12
I'm assuming you've finished Year 12? What grades do you need for your course? I think most unis put more focus on 'predicted grades'. I got AABC after my Year 12 repeat and was predicted A*AB for A2. So if you have good predicted grades and a killer personal statement it should be fine. But grades are the most important thing obviously, they do look at your AS grades too, and your A2 predictions will be made by your teacher, based on your AS grades/how hard you work in class. So as long as you have all the grade requirements it's less likely you'll be rejected straight away. I'm sure at least one out of five unis will give you a place lol! But I'd advise not to apply if you REALLY don't want to go there anyway. My brother and sister went to Surrey uni, I really didn't want to go there but I applied anyway incase I got no offers, as I had choices to spare, I got an offer but didn't use it in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll generally speaking I think I can get the grade requirements and I'm currently working on my PS at the moment. I didn't realise your predicted grades where really important. I think I'm going to start putting a lot more effort in for homeworks rather than just exams. For the course at imperial I think you need A*A*A kings is AAA. If I can get an A* in a level maths this year, an A* in further maths next year and an A in chemistry I think I should be okay. i guess it is likely that I'd be accepted by other unis. I think I just really need to work on my PS over the summer though. I was thinking of starting with a quote but apparently that's too cliche. not too sure now.
Reply 13
Original post by Dilzo999
Also I believe Imperial ask for MAT, if I were you I'd start practicing over the summer.

Yeah I we will do as much practise as I can this summer. do you know if the papers are hard?
If you already have the 5 choices picked out in your mind just don't bother applying. Regardless of what you apply for you're usually told to apply for one that you think you could push yourself to get into, one you are confident of being able to get into, an average one and then back ups in case you have a disaster on results day.
Reply 15
Original post by AlphaDog0127
If you already have the 5 choices picked out in your mind just don't bother applying. Regardless of what you apply for you're usually told to apply for one that you think you could push yourself to get into, one you are confident of being able to get into, an average one and then back ups in case you have a disaster on results day.

Yeah I guess. The only reason I want to put down Cardiff is purely because of my parents. I'll try to reason with them first though.
Reply 16
that is without a doubt the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Maybe they realised that which uni you've been to doesn't really matter much.
Yeah I we will do as much practise as I can this summer. do you know if the papers are hard?

They aren't "hard" but all you need is practice, just make sure you're completely solid on both C1 and C2 material.
We'll generally speaking I think I can get the grade requirements and I'm currently working on my PS at the moment. I didn't realise your predicted grades where really important. I think I'm going to start putting a lot more effort in for homeworks rather than just exams. For the course at imperial I think you need A*A*A kings is AAA. If I can get an A* in a level maths this year, an A* in further maths next year and an A in chemistry I think I should be okay. i guess it is likely that I'd be accepted by other unis. I think I just really need to work on my PS over the summer though. I was thinking of starting with a quote but apparently that's too cliche. not too sure now.

Lol yeah dont start with a quote like its the star on top of a christmas tree! Watch this video, so HELPFUL for personal statement!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you do use a quote, explain why its sugnificant to you and how it related to the course you want to do/future job, thats what I did. Anyways, good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't apply. This is an important part of your life and if you get accepted they may force you into going there and you won't be happy.
You're an adult (or will be), you don't have to do what you're parents say.
What I would do is don't apply and fill all 5 spaces with other places, but just don't mention it unless they ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending